The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Betchas :: Dictionary memorization (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicgolferman
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicgolferman
My math teacher told me this on:

Pretend you have memorized the first 999 word in the dictionary..acually you only memorize 9! Have them selcet any 3 digit #...all different digits...there are only 9 options if you reverse the number and subtract it..

ex-

ok here they are

Ok, those 8

Now memorize 9 words in the dictionary...go to each of those pages....and memorize the last digit of number down Ex. 594....Pg. 594, the 4th word down...

Well after you memorize the words and then your set to go!

It's a great little trick.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
That's nifty! Thanks for sharing.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I am not sure why this is in the Betchas section, but good work. Welcome to the Café!
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 22:38, chichi711 wrote:
I am not sure why this is in the Betchas section, but good work. Welcome to the Café!

how about, I betcha I've memorised the whole dictionary, tell you what why don't you pick a 3 number between...
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
The three-digit number reversed and subtracted against itself is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to a lot of neat stuff. The interesting thing about it is that it always creates a multiple of nine. Nine itself is a pretty neat number and many seemingly impossible things can be done with it.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Smilecool
MindStepper
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MindStepper
You guys (and gals) can take it a step farther, and really knock them out. They choose any three digit number, where the numbers aren't duplicated. So, number 556 is not allowed, etc.
Then they reverse it as in the first example, and subtract the smaller three digit set of numbers from the larger.

This gives them a new three digit number. Have them reverse this new number, and add these last two sets together. The answer will always be 1089. With this knowledge you only have to memorize one word in the dictionary. Tell them to go to page 108, and count down to the 9th. word.

Example: they select number 321. You tell them to reverse it (123) and subtract the smaller set from the larger: 321 minus 123 is 198. They now reverse 198 (891) and add these two sets together: 198 plus 891 equals 1089.

This is commonly used as a mentalists dodge, but could easily be used as the bet noted above.
MindStepper
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
If someone told me they had the whole dictionary memorized and then asked me to jump through math problems to get to a word, I don't think I'd be impressed, or bet with him; however, there are several book test that will help you come to the same end, without the math.

PS: If a mentalists is asking you to do math to 'randomly' select something, you are best off to dodge him Smile
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.