The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Deland's automatic playing cards 1913 (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Hi everybody!
I have a deck of Deland's automatic playing cards
that say "copyright 1913 by T.L. DE LAND"
on the box. They were printed in Belgium.

Does anyone know if these cards are that old?
The cards are excellent quality and in great condition.
They are strippers and marked, just like the deck I bought when I was 10.

Delands Cards Have Superiority [still remember the mneumonic for the suit order]

Thanks for any help,
Sincerly,
James Linn
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
DeLand's automatic deck has always been my favorite gaffed deck. Sometimes you can still find them in gift shops.
As far as how old your deck is? Probably not that old but who knows? Copyright 1913 is probably correct but is no indication of the age of your deck.
Suit order for most stacked decks is CHaSeD as far as I know. I don't remember but is the deck stacked in the order of the "Hungry Jackass"? I would like to find me a deck or two just for my personal amusement.
It would be great if a Bicycle deck could be marked like a DeLand's, that would be the ultimate deck.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The “Deland Deck” had been in constant production since it was first introduced. They are still manufactured and sold.

I have about a half a dozen decks left in a gross that I bought ten years ago. I take them out of the Deland box and put them in a Bicycle box, and glue the Deland Joker back out over the Bicycle design so that you see the Deland back on the box. No one has ever challenged the design. Some have looked at it and commented on how interesting it was. I merely state that it is a deck of cards I picked up in Europe.

Thanks for reminding me of this deck. It is well made compared to other “untracked” cards and can be used as a standard deck. The big plus is the heavy gimmicking done to the deck such that you can do memorized deck work with out memorizing the deck!

Your deck is probably fairly contemporary (i.e., not old).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Thanks for the replies,
My deck is printed inb Belgium though. I wonder when they moved operations to Asia for printing.

The faces on my deck look like Piatniks.

Thanks guys,
Sincerly,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I own three old DeLand Decks, although I am not sure exactly how old: DeLand's Daisy Deck, DeLand's Nifty Deck, and DeLand's Automatic Playing Cards.

Each is in a colored cardboard card case: White (?) now a bit off white, orange/brown, and blue/green respectively.

The boxes state: Made in America exclusively by S. S. Adams Co., Asbury Park, N.J.

Two of the decks still have stamps on them (10 cents, U.S. Int. Rev.)

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5207 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Mike Porstmann, Germany has some info on his web about Delands cards:
http://www.magic-gambling.de/deland.html
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2004-11-03 15:48, Kjellstrom wrote:
Mike Porstmann, Germany has some info on his web about Delands cards:
http://www.magic-gambling.de/deland.html

Thanks for the link. Now if only I could read it!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5207 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
If you cant read german , use BABELFISH, a free online translating tool:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
guido
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
152 Posts

Profile of guido
I have in my possession a pack of Delands's Automatic Playing Cards, but unfortunately for some reason no explanations. If someone would be so kind and send me a copy of this, I would be very grateful. Without it, I don't know what to do with this pack.
Thank you kindly
haroldross
View Profile
New user
Walthill, Nebraska
30 Posts

Profile of haroldross
I know this is an old thread but I thought it was interesting to see that the US Playing Card Company has just released a run of these cards on Bicycle stock. The quality of the Delands Deck has be horrendous since SS Adams & Company had them printed in Taiwan.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5207 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
De Land's $100 Deck with Instruction Booklet:

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/decks/delandsdeck.html
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've seen and handled the Magic Makers reintroduction of the Deland Automatic Deck. Magic Makers bought S.S. Adams Company who owned the rights to the deck (and made and sold them for decades).

The instructions are now in easy to read booklet form and the deck is a beauty. It is crisp and clear (if you know what I mean).

You can also get them from Martini at:
Marty@MartinisMagic.com
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Hello

Terry wrote "Two of the decks still have stamps on them (10 cents, U.S. Int. Rev.)"'

I also have a DeLand's deck with a tax stamp. My deck is still sealed with the original 1 PACK U.S. INT. REV. tax stamp and has been over stamped in red with an S.S. Adams Co. 1946. Interestingly, this deck does not have a tax amount on the stamp. I also have the original instruction which state; "What the Deland Automatic Deck does for you" plus the Adams' Stripper Tricks instructions which were included in the DeLand instructions.

I purchased the deck with a trunk full of new Adams magic effects. All of the Adams effects are from the 1930's through 1940's. The past owner must have been a magic dealer because there are many duplicate effects and they are all new and in original packages. Only one DeLand deck though.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1860 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
For those who are interested, The Magic Warehouse is carrying Deland's Decks at the low low price of $4.50.

*This post has been brought to you in whole by parties unaffiliated in any way shape or form with The Magic Warehouse. Thank You for your viewing participation.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
slim23
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of slim23
While reviewing some posts and looking for info on a deland deck I came up to this post.
I have the Hochman's encyclopedia of playing cards and they say that the deland cards are prettuy old, they heve been there for a while, almost always has a gaff or cheating deck.

Just something for those interrested in collecting cards,

Slim
magicogreg
View Profile
New user
ITALY
10 Posts

Profile of magicogreg
I own several versions of DeLand's Automatic Deck. Some of them are in the video that I recorded after the publication of my ebook (in Italian) devoted to this special deck of cards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzAq4X_f7zc
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Seems to be that MMK have cheapened the power of the DeLands Deck. Instead of a pamphlet that explains the different markings (this card, card before it, cards cut, cards left, how deep down a card is and vice versa), the stacked order, the stripper principle, and what tricks you can do; MMK just includes a little sheet that says how to read the marks to tell the card selected and that the deck is a stripper & how it works. Furthermore, their "online instructional" is just how to read what the card is. The other markings are completely lost and aren't explained.

Fortunately, I still have my DeLands Deck from the 90s and have access to the original pamphlet, turned it into a PDF, so that I could hand it out when it's bought at the shop I work at.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2004, Terry Holley wrote:
I own three old DeLand Decks, although I am not sure exactly how old: DeLand's Daisy Deck, DeLand's Nifty Deck, and DeLand's Automatic Playing Cards.

Each is in a colored cardboard card case: White (?) now a bit off white, orange/brown, and blue/green respectively.

The boxes state: Made in America exclusively by S. S. Adams Co., Asbury Park, N.J.

Two of the decks still have stamps on them (10 cents, U.S. Int. Rev.)

Terry

Terry! Ya missed one! Daisy, Nifty, Automatic, and also the LEAGUE DECK. It has been years, but I vaguely remember that the "clocks" were baseballs.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK