The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Poster/Ephemera conservation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Two quick questions for serious poster collectors:
1) Do you have suggestions on mounting collectible posters on linen? Is this best left to the pro's, and if so, who can you recommend?
2) I have a large poster which, I am ashamed to admit, I had mounted on foam-core and framed at a "Prints Plus" store some years ago. Is it possible to restore this now collectible print, by having it separated from the foamcore and remounted properly? Or is it better to leave well enough alone? Your informed opinions are appreciated!

Okay, one more question about collecting ephemera, i.e. playbills and window cards. Is it recommended to use some de-acidifying spray to counteract the aging of some older papers? Thanks again for your help. Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Victor,

I suggest that you go to Charles Greene's excellent site at
http://www.magicgallery.com/Info%20page.htm
where you can get most of your questions answered and some that you might want answered. His advice will keep you pointed in the right direction.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
You can also check with a paper conservator at a museum. He or she will be able to tell you who the use. Works on paper due require a pro's touch. Do not trust the items to just anyone who is in this line of work.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 22:14, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
You can also check with a paper conservator at a museum. He or she will be able to tell you who the use. Works on paper due require a pro's touch. Do not trust the items to just anyone who is in this line of work.

Thanks very much for your advice. I had neglected to think of museum conservators here locally. Your answer arrived 5 years after the fact, but just in time.
Best, Vic
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Vic, posters mounted unto foam core are impossiblew to remove at any cost. The current dry mounting chemicals react with the foam which melts into the paper. Prior the advent of the current dry mounting chemicals, poster could be removed and l;ined, however. Sorry but I believe you should leave it the way it is.
(Note to Scott, believe Mr Green is not a paper consevator or expert in paper conseravtion. Mr Greene is poster collector).
DLF
View Profile
Regular user
LA via NYC
145 Posts

Profile of DLF
Paper's tough but it pays to conserve whenever you can. While paper mounted to foam core typically is impossible to remove, it's not necessarily a hopeless case. There are many dependancies. However, it is likely to be VERY costly if you are able to have it remounted. I would definitely suggest linen for any paper based item and go to a professional. Doesn't have to be an archivist but someone who knows what they are doing. You may find a framer who does a lot of fine art work. They may be suitable. Locally here I work with a framer who has a frame shop but handles a lot of works on paper, as well as just fine art in general and does have a relationship with a restorer.
Ok, I'll meet you at the place near the thing where we went that time.
newman1066
View Profile
New user
North Carolina, New York, Vermont,
53 Posts

Profile of newman1066
Quote:
On 2002-05-30 17:35, Victor Brisbin wrote:
Two quick questions for serious poster collectors:
1) Do you have suggestions on mounting collectible posters on linen? Is this best left to the pro's, and if so, who can you recommend?
2) I have a large poster which, I am ashamed to admit, I had mounted on foam-core and framed at a "Prints Plus" store some years ago. Is it possible to restore this now collectible print, by having it separated from the foamcore and remounted properly? Or is it better to leave well enough alone? Your informed opinions are appreciated!
Okay, one more question about collecting ephemera, i.e. playbills and window cards. Is it recommended to use some de-acidifying spray to counteract the aging of some older papers? Thanks again for your help. Smile

Mario is correct about the foam core mounting being irreversible.
Archival mounting is best left to experts and, unless highly skilled, is not a do-it-yourself project.

NEVER spray your lithographs with anything...period.

J. Fields Gallery, Inc. now in Philadelphia are credited with the concept of linen over rice paper wet archival mountings for posters and I have used their services a great many times.

They are the best in the business.
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
Yeah my mom did museum mounting. And she said it heats the paper and bonds it to the foam. They used it for mounting display labels. And posters that were not being conserved. It does not come off very well.