The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Help with Identifying a magic apparatus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
imagination
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of imagination
I recently acquired an estate of various magic items, all made prior to 1960. I have in mint condition a pair of spectacles that are in fact ghost glasses. What makes these even more unique is that there is a message on the front and back of each eye piece. So in other words there are four different messages and/or predictions.

By the style of glasses they appear to be made around the 1940's to the 1950's.

Any idea on who made these and any other tidbits of knowledge on them?

Cheers,
Brian Ward
IBM Ring 284 president
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1810 Posts

Profile of Rennie
What makes the message appear? I am aware of "ghost" glasses that if you blow on them, the steam on the glass causes the message to appear.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I had the same type set, I believe. Called "Grandpa's Spectacles". There was a set for sale here on the Café not too long ago. Lenses should show 2 different cards, a set of wavy lines and the word "IDIOT." Is that it?

Steve
imagination
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of imagination
Yes Steve that is exactly it ... I found the typed instructions that came with them and saw a number of magicians who contributed to this affect.

I have seen a lot of magic but never anything like this before so it intrigued me. I'm sure I will sell my pair as well as they are not for me.

Thank you for your reply but the names in the instructions gave me the info I needed to properly list them for sale.

Kind Regards,
Brian Ward
imagination
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of imagination
In fact here is a pic of one just like mine -

http://www.magicalwizard.com/images/Esta......cles.jpg
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Wish I could see the inside of that case in the pic to see if that's the EXACT one I sold a couple years ago! The case I had mine also had an OLD cleaning cloth inside. I do have a sheet of instructions that include a line drawing of "grandpa" with his spectacles.

Steve
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
In the 1970's they were sold at Ken Brookes magic shop.
imagination
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of imagination
Yes and the typed instructions were by Ken Brooks and other well known magicians. It seems to be a great item in the right hands!
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
I have a set of these glasses which I want to sell. Anybody can give me any clue on what kind of value they carry? I'm not selling to make money but I don't like to sell something dirt cheap if it happens to be a rare or collectible item either.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have a lot of the crystals but they have be mounted into a glasses frame. I think Venture III sold them years ago.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.