The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: What is your reason to go at the wrist for a watch steal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheCell
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of TheCell
I've been wandering in the forums for quite some time now, and I've not yet seen any topics on this. I was wondering : What is your excuse to get to the wrist to do a watch steal? I've been doing the card trick from the James Coats DVD "The art of pickpocketing", but I find this effect rather weak. I exclusively steal leather band watches, and sometimes I am unable to get the watch(man, do peoples really feel comfortable with a watch that tight?), so I'm left only with the trick, which I find rather weak. I've been pondering to do something with sponge balls for some time now, and I've been suggested The World's Greatest Magic Spongeballs, but before buying it, I was wondering what is your reason to go to the wrist?

Alex
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
885 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
A coin trick. That gives you all the time in the world to steal their watch. Have them hold the coin tight, and while pattering undo their watch.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Like Phedonbilek said, a coin trick. What I do is hold both their wrists as they hold the coin, and say the coin is going to switch to the other hand. Count slowly to 3...5...or 10, however long it takes.

Then pull away and put the watch in your pocket. When they see the coin hasn't changed hands, you act like you messed up, then say: "Oh well, hey, I've got a gift for you..."
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
TheCell
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of TheCell
Ethereal : Well, that is the problem. Sometimes, I am not able to get the watch at all. I was hoping to do magic, while taking their watch. So, if I am not able to get the watch, I still have a mild reaction, because I have an effect(although a weak one). What would you do if you are not able(for whatever reason) to get the watch? Your coin trick failed(the coin didn't change hand), and you don't have the watch.

That is the dilema that I am having right now. I do have a reason to get to their wrist(a card transposition), but I find the effect is weak(easily guessed, not very impressive, etc...). So, anyone is using a hard hitting effect, while stealing the watch?
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
I don't like it when Magicians fail a magic trick to steal a watch especially if there is no comedy or byplay involved. I think this simply degrades the rest of the magic in your act.

The watchsteal accompanied by a sponge ball trick on the World's Greatest Magic tape is by Michael Finney, who uses the 'failed magic trick' premise that I don't really like. I don't perform the watch steal currently, but if I did I would probably use a sponge ball trick where the spectator is about to discover two balls inside their hand. I would talk to them about holding it tightly while doing the dirty work and looking them in the eye and misdirect them when the watch is being removed completly from the wrist by focusing their attention on something else.

However, I do suggest you buy the Sponge Ball tape for Michael Finneys watch steal - he teaches the one handed watch steal very well.

Sorry for rambling, but hope its helped!
Yours,
Matt Wood
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
885 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Why failing the trick? Show two different coins, say a chinese coin and a Kennedy. Using an extra and a palm-to-palm switch you can switch both coins, and have the spec close their hands over the opposite coins they think they're holding. When the watch is in your pocket, have them reveal the transpo.

Now, I'm a coin magi. If you do not know what's a palm-to-palm switch, then try a sponge ball routine, or even a card routine.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Almost any trick where the spectator is needing guidance will suffice.

DWmagic- Just letting you know, I'm not giving you crap for it, just keeping up with my history.

"The watchsteal accompanied by a sponge ball trick on the World's Greatest Magic tape is by Michael Finney"

Michael FInney isn't the first person to use sponges with a watch steal. Whit Haydn showed it to Michael Finney.

Michael Finney asked permission to do the trick then changed it a little to fit himself.

Again, not giving you crap, just keep history straight.

The Cell- Ok, James Coats routine with the cards is pretty weak. I would suggest you purchase Chappy Brasil's dvd on the watch steal (No one teaches it better) and get a hold of (I can't believe I'm tipping this) Greg Wilson's On the spot dvd.

There I said it and I feel dirty for tipping it.

Greg has many routines on their that are adaptable for the watch steal.

Now I'm sure Josh is gonna kill me for saying that.
TheCell
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of TheCell
Just to keep you guys updated :
I've just finished watching WGM Spongeballs, and I must say it is a very good dvd. Although the technic he uses to get the watch isn't what I practiced, it gave me some good ideas for misdirection. As for the rest of the dvd, it is very good, very informative, and very entertaining, although I'd like a little more details for some moves, and it felt like some of the explanations are a little rushed. But even then, all in all, it is a very good dvd that I'd recommend to those working with sponge balls looking to spice up your routine.

Alex
jayaweera
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of jayaweera
Haha James...I will not kill you.

I am happier to help and give advice to people who want to get into pickpocketing.

I advise you to get Chappy Brazil watch steal dvd and get greg wilson on the spot dvd to give you a few ideas and it shows you how to be very spontaneous.

In relation to your question though 'thecell' I would advise if you have a trick that if you can not take a watch or get caught there is still the magic part. For ex. Show two s.balls - palming one. ask them to squeeze the balls in their hands (they think they have two) do the watch routine and if you get it great, if you do not get the watch, you have the magicaly made another ball.

For me personally, my personlity is strong and well created that if I get caught taking a watch with no backup trick or effect it is not a worry. I make a joke or have fun with the audience. Though it has taken me 2-3 years to really feel comfortable doing this. However I still use the magic aspect when taking a watch (refer to s.ball idea above) http://www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment Watch some of my videos you might get an idea.

'DWmagic' I like your thoughts on the watch with no comedy or byplay. I do believe that it takes a while to be confident on taking a watch without a backup effect or trick. Good post mate!

Hope I helped.
Be Unique - Be Creative - Be Yourself
www.jayjayentertainment.com
TheCell
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of TheCell
I feel honored to have Jayjay come here and give me advice! I've already watched your video, and I was wondering what was your backup when you get caught with the "I'm hungry" move in sign language?

The routine I'm devloping is loosely based on the idea of teleporting(not vanishing) a sponge ball. I give the spectator a ball, then 'transfer' a second ball from my right hand to my left, tell him I'm gonna teleport the ball from my left hand into his. I take his hand with my right hand(the one which has the spongball), and simply slide the leather band, without removing it from the buckle. I do my magic, then realise I 'missed' by a little(it went in my hand instead of his). I do it again, but this time, it really goes into the spectator's hand(he ends up with 2 balls instead of one), and I hopefully get the watch. If I don't, I still have a backup effect.

The idea of teleporting instead of vanishing is that it gives me a pretty good reason to go at the wrist. My patter would go like this : "This particular ball can teleport. You don't believe me? Well, let's try. It is a very difficult process. It must be very precise. Here sir, take this ball and turn your hand over. This ball is going to teleport from my hand, to yours. Let me adjust your hand sir. It must be placed really precisely, otherwise, it might materialize inside your hand, and you don't want that, now do you? Well, we do, but I mean 'inside' as inside the finger", and after it materialize inside my hand : "Wow, that was close! We were lucky. Are you afraid? Let me try again. And this time, try with me. Feel it get inside your hand. Feel it inserting itself slowly inside your tight fist. Feel the impossible. Do not concentrate on it stretching your molecule until they no longer hold themselves together. Do not concentrate on how it might feel if it has to happened. DO NOT CONCENTRATE ON THE PAIN!". Of course, when you say something, they immediately think of it, and I think it's a pretty good misdirection.

The idea here is since they think there is a risk(event though I make it sound funny), they concentrate on the sensation they have or might have in their hand, and not their wrist or my hand. Of course this is all theory. I have not praticed it nearly enough to perform publicly, but it's the general idea. Any thoughts on this?

Alex
jayaweera
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of jayaweera
Alex...the idea is good.

One major thing...the patter is too long and too much. Just get to the point with the routine. Just say I need to hold your wrist cause of this reason, say a few more things then do it.

The longer you keep talking and holding his wrist the more he will realise what you are doing. The watch steal should be taken of quickly...(now I do not mean within a second like so many people thing a watch steal should be) However it should be taken quick enough so that forgets that you have touched his wrist.

Remember Alex:

Everytime you touch someone - it must be for a reason. Read my post on touching.

JaY-JaY
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
I just take my hand on their watch and move them a litle - for them you just take hiis hand and taking to place better for you to perform. I know some big scene pickpocketers use it but in close up it good too
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Watching Ricki Dunn and Bob Arno, they barely touch the victim, simply shaking their hand or helping them stand or move. While all of the coin and sponge ball vanishes are great, surely a light touch is the ultimate goal>
jayaweera
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of jayaweera
Yeah that should be the right way with pickpocketing Nick...'just a shake of their hand or a move them here' However the problem these days, is that people are getting smarter and they are making more different kinds of watches; which can fool us thieves. (Like the one that is a leather band, however you have to take it off over the wrist; it has a hidden metal clasp.)

Though I do believe the less you can touch the person, the better it would be.

I am a bit of purist with Pickpocketing. I try to take someones belongings like a 'real pickpocket' would; quick and subtly. However a tip for me and for all of you guys...we are not just pickpockets when we perform....we are ENTERTAINERS! Our nique is pickpocketing, however we have to entertain while we do this.

This is not easy....something I am still mastering and something that we have to practise at.

JaY-JaY
mcvicarthetrickster
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis, MO
116 Posts

Profile of mcvicarthetrickster
I like to steal the watch at the beginning of my spongeball routine, I just start real serious putting a ball in each hand giving them a shake and having them open their hands to show that they've switched places, this way you get the watch right away and it's a real ice breaker starting with a joke and gets them real comfortable for the rest of the performance. You can also look at Asi's "time is money". I thought Jay-Jay video was awesome.