The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: How long do you think a Pickpocket act should be? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Hey fellow dippers,

I'm curious about how long acts have gone on for. The average time I've seen in print is 10 minutes, so I'm curious how Mark Raffles got hired on Cruise ships, considering they want acts lasting almost two hours.

Anyone on here know of anything lasting that long?

I mean you can only pull stuff out of pockets for so long until the audience starts getting bored.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
Sean Ashton
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
15 Posts

Profile of Sean Ashton
If your are doing only pickpocketing I think 10 minutes is perfect and 30 minutes is just a little long but you can do it.

If you combine it with magic you easily do a full show.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Well, I tend to agree, I mean the example I'm going by is Mark Raffles and Ricki Dunn. There pickpocketing acts barely run 10 minutes.

But Mark Raffles speaks of doing cruise ships. I know they won't hire someone for only 10 minutes.

Anyone see something like this?
jayaweera
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of jayaweera
James my Thief buddy!

I have been thinking a lot about this too.

I have talked to a few pros and they tell me that the Pickpocket Act is really only 10-12mins max. However, you need to fill in another 20minutes to do a corporate show (30 minute show) otherwise clients will not pay.

For me personally (I am giving you my secrets ha)

Pickpocketing in my show is like a running gag. I am always taking things of people. The 1st 15-20 minutes I am performing some stand up comedy/gags and magic of which I get people on stage and take small things off them, ex. A watch - pen -piece of paper. Then the last 10 minutes is where I do the 'bob arno' knd of 4 men on stage of where I take belt, shirt, underwear, over the hand watch.

So overall. Have a strong 8-12minute pickpocket act as your closer and have something interesting for your opener. They will remember the stuff you did at the beginning, however the pickpocketing is what they will be talking about.

JaY-JaY
Be Unique - Be Creative - Be Yourself
www.jayjayentertainment.com
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Hey Josh,

I like what you said here. I will actually be writing it down. Thank my man.

I finally have a bit of my act on tape. (finally) I only was able to get the guy's watch. I will let you know when I have it online.

I will try and get some close-up work online as well.

Later
jayaweera
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of jayaweera
Well James...send it over!

haha

I wanna see you in action...especially some pickpocketing.
Be Unique - Be Creative - Be Yourself
www.jayjayentertainment.com