The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Budding pick-pocketer would like advice, please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Hi guys,

I really 'dig' pick-pocketing (yeah, I know I sound like a hippie from from the 60's/70's, well, I was born in 1971!) Always have done, since I've performed magic (from about the age of 5, to be exact) - (I love other aspects of the performance arts, you'll probably see my other posts, elsewhere, soon!)

What I'd like to know is, apart from the book I've ordered this morning, 'The Professional Stage Pick-pocket by Rikki Dunn' and 'Absolute Magic by Derren Brown' (which I've already got), are there any resources on the net (preferably free), which will give me a head start before Mr Dunn's book arrives?

How on gods beautiful earth do I go about practising this?

Warm regards & many thanks in advance!
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
I guess that all the pick-pocketers must be out working (or should that be picking pockets)!

I'll call my brother the policemen (true, he really is a policeman!), now I know where all the pick-pockets go to chat!

Oh well, I can wait!

Look forward to your replies!

Martin King
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
325 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
Theatrical Pickpocketing, The Pickpocket Secrets of Mark Raffles, Whiz Mob, Go on Steal yourself,

dvd's Mark Raffles, James Freedman, watch steel by Chappy Brazil,

That should keep you busy

Peculiar One
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Yes, it's true, but martin king looking for free books...Smile
You know nothing is free, lol
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Like Parmenion says nothing is for free.

You have taken the right steps with the books you have.

My suggestion would be to get some items to help you practice. Some watches, ties and belts from a second hand store. Also a jacket you can put stuff in and hang from a coat hanger.

If you have the money get a tailors or artist dummy. They have articulation that is nice and helpful versus a normal manniquin.

Stuff to read online... Not much, you may find a couple things to watch on youtube, but nothing too instructional.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Thanks guys, I've now got the R.Dunn book, and I've also now got Freedman's 'Go On Steal Yourself'!

Still looking for a tailors dummy, although, I might be able to knock myself up an alternative solution.

I'm also looking for the time to practise, what with a wife that wants everything to be perfect and spotless, (I spend nearly all my spare time cleaning); and I also have two young children (2 1/2 yrs & 7yrs) who make more mess than a demolished house!

Warm regards to all,

Martin King
jayaweera
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of jayaweera
Martin a few things,

I would look on Ebay for a tailor or shop mannequin - trust me friends will only stand in one situation for a certain amount of time.

If you are serious about Pickpocketing, I would strong suggest that you pay for all your material - there are not too many things you can get for free these days...maybe tips from all of us guys, however in regards to books,dvd's etc. It would be a lot wiser and right if you spend money on a few things.

Chappy Brazil watch steal dvd - number one choice.

Hope I helped,

JaY-JaY
Be Unique - Be Creative - Be Yourself
www.jayjayentertainment.com
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Thanks Jay Jay!