The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Returning Stolen Goods (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
347 Posts

Profile of TKE
Ok so what are your favorite or most commonly used ways of revealing things youve taken such as a watch or wallet..

A really good way I think is to steal several things from a group of people and at the end of your act or short performance hand everything out.

Also, I think Chappy Brazils idea of putting the stolen watch into a watch case and then pulling it out in the end and giving a "gift" to the spectator. Although it seems like it would play well...i don't have room in my pockets to fit a watch box.

Im currently brainstorming for some new ideas. Let me know what you guys think.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
839 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Kenton Knepper's Checkbook Wallet would work well for a stolen item rountine.

http://www.wonderwizards.com

http://www.tonycurtismagic.com

Tony Curtis
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.

Click Here
under the table
View Profile
New user
Detroit
81 Posts

Profile of under the table
IF, I give the things I steal back (hehe), I normally "pull it through their back pocket," Or my favorite way is to (after taking a watch) say I'm going to do the old watch and hammer trick, then ask if, the person whos watch I stole, I can borrow their watch. When they say no/back away, I say "Yes did you say? OK, this watch will do just fine." Then pull I tout and proceed to do the trick (i never do the trick, its just a gag reel thing).

Ian
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Do you actually need to give it back in the end? Don't I feel silly.
Pavlo
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
I usually say the (around here, at least) classic; "Hang on a minute, you dropped this!", and hand them back their watch, wallet, phone or whatever it is I have.
"Man's highest reward for his dedication to the pursuit of excellence is not what he gets from it, but what he becomes through it."
argent
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of argent
Potassy's method of returning goods is quite spectacular.He gives it back and then takes it again and does this several times. His returns actually take more skill than the actual stealing which is pretty basic.

I am amused that both lay people and magicians consider Potassy the best pickpocket they have ever seen yet his methods are the easiest I have ever come across. Apart from the watch steal the whole thing can be learned in about 20 minutes. The returns take more practice than the actual stealing! That will probably take another 30 minutes.

He does not take from trouser pockets and he doesn't seem to need to. He only works with jackets and there seems to be enough goods there to keep him happy. Neither does he remove ties, belt buckles etc; because he considers it demeaning to the spectators.

He does not flash the stolen items to the audience considering that demeaning too. He also thinks that by doing so you dilute the effectiveness of the return because the audience is no longer suprised. On the other hand Ricky Dunn believes you get two laughs instead of one by showing the stuff.

Of course Potassy was a magician rather than a pickpocket. I find it ironic that even though his pickpocketing does not exceed three minutes of his entire act he is considered by so many to be the best there is.

In some ways he probably is. The only one I have seen to equal him was a Hungarian called Rudolfo and he seemed to use similar techniques. The bottom line is the effect on the audience rather than your cleverness from a technical point of view.