The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: What happened whn you got caught?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
It must have happened to you before on a complete stranger, so what happened??
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
You guys must be really good ! ! !
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Sadly I think there aren't many people that read this subForum. Which is a good thing because it implies not many are interested in it and therefore it won't be ruined by mainstreamity. Unfortunately, it also means starting good dialogs and jams suffer from the lack of traffic. =(

Ricki Dunn has a great "out" if you get caught/hung up taking a wallet. It's called "An Artful Dodge," on page 58 of his book.
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Do you think you would be able to inform me of this? please PM me,
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I just laugh it off!

In fact, I'll openly say "I was trying to steal your watch!" They laugh. I laugh. I then try again Smile
Logic Defied
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Yeah, cause if you get tense and feel guilty they're gonna to think you were really trying to steal you jazz, not that it's part of the performance.
Admitting this failure with a joke and more entertainment, and that's our purpose, right?
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
I thought removing the watch was better than removing your arm, I then remove a knife and make a sawing action with it....then I go into a card stab routine.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
..."Hmm...just as I thought,this is a very nice watch... but it's not a rolex so I'll return it."

Or,.... "this is a rolex, so I think I'll keep this one."

Or, just laugh it off m and then make it vanish, only to reappear in another spectator's pocket, pointing out that ... he wa sthe one that took it, not me!

Of course , getting caught on the rare ocassion is bound to happen, and you should have an "out". But if it's ha[ening too often, then it's time to practice some more, or develop a better technique and pickpocketing persona.

Enjoy the ride.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JaY-JaY Pickpocket
Jonathan has said the right thing. But I 100% agree with Alym Amlani comment. I fail especially with the harder things, belts and even rolex's with guys with fat wrists because I always think I may be able to slide it off.

However I will just laugh, show them I have failed then steal it again or do the greg wilson thing: Put the watch back on then say check your wallet, then as they do or laugh steal the watch...very powerful.

JaY.
Check JaY-JaY Out!
www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment
www.myspace.com/jayjayentertainment
Facebook - JaY JaY 'josh jayaweera'
Love to hear from you!
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Not many people read this forum mostly because talking and advises aren't so helpfull like in other kinds of magic
of course they are but not in forum, in personaltalking or on video tips are great but in pickpocketing you really must try it first then you can talk about it and then myou'll understand the tips

when I fail I'll laught it of and... go on stealing Smile because I don't do belt ties and even watches cuz I didn't see any other watchthen rolex for a long time and I do nt do rolexs. if I get caught and that happend few times it was as I was taking out something from pocket and then I laught it of and do a fake put
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Kune
I didn't see it myself, but there was one magician here in Australia who was caught stealing the volunteers watch, and got punched in the face.
After explaining that he was going to give it back, apparently the volunteer was aware of that, but didn't allow to touch his watch. I don't know the details unfortunately, but I hope the magi pressed charges (also it put me off watch stealing/pick pocketing).
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Many years ago, when I was in college, my fraternity brothers and I went out to a restaurant and, as we were all in a happy mood I did a few tricks for the waiter including a watch steal. My fraternity brothers had all seen this before and one of them yelled out - "Your watch is gone," before I could return it.

The waiter became angry and I told him I was a magician with my group but my "playful" fraternity brothers told the waiter that they didn't know who I was and I just came in off the street and came over to them.

Luckily they all started to laugh and more luckily, so did the waiter.
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Gerald Deutsch,

Same mistake I made when I was in the transit seating in Singapore. I got caught, and the guy though I was trying to actually steal his watch.

Something I learned:

Your audience always needs to know that your an entertainer or performer. Telling them will not make it happen, they need to believe it. Otherwise, they may just think your trying to steal their watch.

jay jay.
Check JaY-JaY Out!
Love to hear from you!
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
I had a funny mistake yeasterday Smile

I was pickpocketing a guy in a bar and there were people around us, I took his wallet,documents and phone I did few fake puts.

and always I was flashing items behind the guy

and even I was sure I'm doing a good job they guy knew that I took something nad knew what

I was thinking about it all night, and finally today eating breakfest I remembered that... there was a mirror in front of us Smile and I ignored it xD

the other thiing was some guy lost his wallet and because he saw me performing for a while he thought I took it...

and Jay Jay, I always say before pickpocketing, "everything I do is for fun I am an entertainer do you understand that?"

and I had no problem with it, well I had luck and never met someone who thought I rally steal from him but I prefer saying that sentence anyway
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Obuch,

Great story.

And you told him, but he believed you...that is the main thing. He saw what you did was entertaining and believed you.

great job.
Check JaY-JaY Out!
Love to hear from you!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Obuch... just to be clear... you returned his wallet(eventually)... didn't you? (lol) Smile
Jonathan
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Well... I wanted too but he left... and I didn't find him outside... I will eventually return it too him, someday Smile
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Actually Obuch, you may be surprised to hear this, but...

that "guy" in the bar that you took the wallet from was me.

I'll send you a PM with my snail mail addrss. You can pop it in the mail with the cash that was inside (but keep those grocery coupons).

I'll pick up the tab for the shipping costs.

Many thanks for coming clean.

I know you will sleep a lot better after you return this long lost item to me.

:bg:

Jonathan
Jonathan
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Thank god I found you, you are right now I will sleep a lot better
but.. what cash? the wallet was empty there was no sign of 400$ you may be looking for...
but I am a honest man and I will send you the wallet so I'm looking for that pm Smile
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Whoops.... my mistake Obuch.

When I returned home this evening, I had a second look in my dresser draw and found my wallet. It was there all the time! How embarassing.

... but there was only $300 dollars in side, not $400.

Perhaps you only lifted one of my 4 bills.

If that's the case then you deserve it.

I never even knew --so you're pretty darn good.

My apologies for accusing you wrongly in the first place. Smile

Jonathan

PS: Yes, fellow Café members (and pickpocket/entertainers) the above scenario actually "could" have happened. The question is...

If "wrongly" accused, what would you say and do?

More food for thought (and discussion)... plus a way to get this thread back on track!
Jonathan