The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Stealing the show, (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Hi, just got mine a few days ago, what a difference this has made, very good dvd,

but I would like to ask anyone if they have any ways of misdirecting someone while taking their wallet from their bsck pocket, as I know james just takes it while standing next to them, but people say they can feel something when I am going in for it,

also when you want to get the wallet to poke out of the top of the pocket by pinching and you know what I mean, the material on peoples trousers ride up for a second and they usually suspect something,

so can anyone help?
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Yeah. I have the same question
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
So anyone got the answer?
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
What sort of environment are you performing in? Pickpocketing for one or two people or a small group versus in front of a larger audience, are two different ballgames. The methods, misdirection and routining for both of these situations can be very different.

To address your specific question, in close up for just a few people, it often comes down to smooth technique and misdirection.

In front of a larger audience, the back pocket steal can be worked so many different ways.

I posted a lengthly answer in a post below BOOKS!!!??? that addresses your question also. I think that it answers many of the questions asked here regarding pickpocketing, and the seldom covered subjects of routining and misdirection.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Will Jim Ravel's Book help at all chap?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Well I will be doing it mainly in a close up enviroment, its just when james teaches it on the dvd he says "i would just goin under his jacket and do it like this" then he takes it out the exact same way I have been trying and I have no sucess as the spectator always feels something,

or with the other method when you pinch and push, they always feel this, so do you have any ways of misdirecting them?

For example could you take something out of their front jacket pocket then reveal it, then show how you did it whilst stealing the wallet from back pocket while bumping into them?

Just anything that I can try,
Touchstone
View Profile
New user
Belgium
37 Posts

Profile of Touchstone
First practise on a dummy provided with little annoying bells, hang them on every sensitive spot and keep trying untill the bells won't ring anymore...
Best way to practise!
good luck
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Well I am after a manacin so...

anyway if you tell someone that you are going to pickpocket them and then ask them if they can feel anything (when practising) are they more likely to pick up pon mistakes than if you werent asking them to tell you?
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Yes. They are more likley to feel it because they are expecting it. The major part is misdirection. You hva eto get them to not pay attention to it.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
I know but if they are not misdirected physically and they are misdirected mentally will they still feel it?
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
It depends. On how light you touch them. If you yank it out and it gets cought on the cloth then I believe in most cases they ill feel it.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Yes Jim Ravels book will help.

I mean this with respect, It sounds as though you may be getting ahead of yourself, or perhaps I have not got all the info.

What is the routine you are performing? What is the context under which you are in front of these people you are "performing" for?

This is important, because it frames what they understand you are doing and what they should expect.

Pickpocketing is best when a part of a routine. If you can describe what you are trying perform in more detail then it is a bit easier to answer your question well.

Best of luck
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Touchstone
View Profile
New user
Belgium
37 Posts

Profile of Touchstone
Practise on fellow magicians, don't tell them, just steal.
When you get cought: Hey, I'm just practicing!
I learned it that way
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Well,

What is some of the best magic to perform when picking? I know it depends on how you present it ( touchy feely) but I can't be doing triumph and be touchy feely, you know. Usually sponge balls or some card magic. But if you could give me some routine ideas it would be most helpful.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Xjesterx, Please take this as it is intended( with good wishes).
I am reluctant to just spoonfeed you with answers, and would rather provide some direction, that will lead you to your own. I hope the following is helpful.
There are endless routines that can be adapted. As mentioned in Theatrical Pickpocketing "Almost any card tricks can be adapted for pickpocketing by including a moment where you guide the spectators hand"
Same of coins, money, close up items.
Any reason to use a spectators pocket is a chance to steal from them.
Put something(and at the same time take something) from their pocket for "safekeeping".
Have you tried a false return sequence? This can be performed as its own reason for stealing, that is, you are apparently asking them where all their belongings are so that you can attempt to steal them, but are actually stealing them as (slightly after) you display and "return" each item.

But again this my be trying to run before walking.

FOCUS ON ONE STEAL!!! And there are plenty described well( mechanics only) in Stealing the Show or Theatrical Pickpocketing!
Think through all of your current routines( routines that you perform really well, and could almost do with your eyes closed, those kind of routines) and find ONE MOMENT, where you have a GOOD REASON to be touching your spectator or messing with their clothing. And choose an appropriate steal for that situation.

Have to run, back with a couple more ideas shortly.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Chappy,

Thank you.

I am sorry if I came across like I was wanting to be spoon fed. My apologies.

Nontheless, Thank you for the ideas. I love to learn. I am greatful to have guidence.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Well, I do card stuff mainly, normally sitting at a table, BUT this is what I want t ochange, if I do card stuff standing up then I want to ask if they have an inside pocket, if so then I will then steal from the jacket pocket, then somehow get a card to get into their top pocket 'by accident' then I am unsure how to go for the back pocket, should I stand behind them and ask them if I should do from behind, with sleight physical misdirection, steal the wallet etc.

is this sounding ok?
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1440 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Sure. it is sounding good.

idea: the card keeps "mistakingly" reappreaing in the breast pocket again and again. Telling them that you are trying to make it appear in thier wallet. ask them to see there wallet to see the style, talk about that this style always gives you touble. Then say you are going to put the card in the wallet and are going to attempt to get the card to appear some where else. place the wallet back in the pants for them. Exicuting the million dollar wallet steal you take the whole wallet by accident and then...

I dunno ...

its early.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
anbujustin
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of anbujustin
And then.....

you putpocket the wallet SOMEWHERE else and keep the card (that was in the wallet) in the pocket the wallet was in.

BOOYAH then just say you messed up and moved the wallet instead of the card haha.

-justin
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Or.... make their watch appear in their wallet in their pocket!