The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Pickpocketing no-nos. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used to perform at Dickens on the Strand in Galveston, Texas. The participants dressed as characters from Dickens novels and plays and re-created a Victorian era atmosphere. One of the features was a crew of "urchins" right out of Oliver Twist. These kids would go around and pick pockets, then return the goods.

They were under strict orders not to dip other performers.

One year in particular, there was a crew from one of the local little theatre groups who were doing Oliver. They decided to try their hand at picking pockets, and one of the little illegitimi tried to dip me during the parade. I took him aside and informed him that this was not to be done to fellow performers. He gave me the bird and walked off.

So I spoke to the lady in charge of the whole thing, told her the story and asked her if I could handle the problem a special way. When she heard my idea, she said she would go along with it. She'd had multiple complaints about these kids and she had repeatedly warned them not to do what they were doing.

During the parade, I felt the familiar tug on my hip pocket. (These kids SUCKED at picking pockets!) In one movement that took about .25 seconds, I grabbed the kid's wrist, popped out a pair of handcuffs and marched him over to a no parking sign, where I cuffed him around the pole. There was a Galveston police officer there. I told her I was doing this on authority of the lady in charge, and that I would be back sometime later on that afternoon, in maybe 3 or 4 hours, to let him loose.

The kid who was playing Fagin was screaming "BUT WE HAVE A SHOW RIGHT AFTER THE MARCH!"

I said, "YOU have a show right after the march. HE has a chance to reflect."

The parade went up "The Strand" turned around and came back the same way. So I let the urchin stand at the no parking sign for about 10 minutes total, as he, and Fagin stood there panicking. I walked over to the sign, released the urchin, and told Fagin. "NEVER interfere with another performer again. Got it?"

He did.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Awesome, Bill. Hopefully they'll all remember that for a long time. Or at least get more undetecable technique.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There were four things working against them.

1) Their technique, as noted above, was horrible.
2) They had no distraction.
3) I was expecting it.
4) I am very aware of things going on around me.

I think the kid involved is now an attorney. So he hasn't learned anything, just pushed it in a different direction.

(My apologies to the honest attorney out there!)
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Never mind dipping the performers, I think sending a group of kids out to pick-pocket the crowd is one of the stupidest ideas I've heard in a while, which eejit thought that up?

Funny story,though.

George
gfdiamond
View Profile
Regular user
sweden
198 Posts

Profile of gfdiamond
Hej,

while I was living in amsterdam I saw two very bad english pickpockets trying their luck in the red light district...one would go up to people and say..dont I know you mate? the other would very obviously put his arm around the mark...they were terrible and so obvious..

I observed them for a while, then called them over. I grew up in a very bad part of london, so put on my best south london accent...while explaining to them that I knew what they were up to, I did a quick sponge ball trick for them and stole one of their watches...

I then told them if they were going to pretend to be pickpockets, at least try to be professional..they told me to XXXX off...so I kept their watch anyway...then reported them to the cops nearby who took them away...

you know what they say..what goes around comes around.

geoff diamond

http://www.vararkaninen.se
Check me out on Google. Geoff Diamond Magician.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
885 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Ah ah ah... That's a funny one! And you kept the watch. These two 'blokes' won't forget your performance mate...

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I might be missing something but isn't it illegal to lock someone up like that? Even with the permission of the organiser or even the police?
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Gfdiamond, Love your story! As my brother is an english 'bobby' (policeman) 'kudos' to you! (I know that you don't really admit this, but I'm very proud of my brother)

&

Mr Bill Palmer, I've come across similar annoying kid situations like that myself, when I was a full time performing porfessional, when I lived in England, (I now live in France), and I as a professional performer applaud you; however, now that I'm a father of two kids, I'd be worried about the long term psyhcological trauma on the handcuffed boy.

What's that?...He's a lawyer now?...You didn't go far enough then! Maybe you should have had a sharp blade, suspended from a rapidly burning rope, swinging over his head!

Warm regards to all,

Martin King