The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: KOOZA'S Pickpocket a Hit in Montreal! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lee Thompson
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Lee Thompson
Hi all,
id like just to give you some info about "kooza", a lot of other performers have been asking me the same questions.
DWB? has been given/or is giving wrong information about behind the scenes at Cirque du soleil "kooza" there are a lot of chinese whispers going around,so here are the Facts from the Horses Mouth,

Yes I'm the new pickpocket in the show, Yes the act is much shorter as the Director wanted to cut it down ( what The Director says goes! ) I personally loved Michael's performance, BUT we are completely different people with different personality's so of course the act is going to be performed differently, originally Michael was doing around 11 minuets 48 second on average I know this as I have around 50 DVDS of the show for my integration training into the show, Cirque film each and every show for safety and training.

The new version is going to change a lot over the next months, I didn't have the luxury of 9 month Rehearsals to iron out mistakes or work in the act before the public saw the show, I only had 4 days before I went in the Ring and boy its a HUGE space to fill. at first they only gave me 3 minuets for the act which is ridiculas. plus they keep changing the sort of character they want the pickpocket to be, darker but charming? I opted for a cheeky cockney style character i.e Oliver Twist style this might change?

The weather here in chicago is great but for the show its a problem, I have to run around like a loony for about 2 miles per show in a huge pair of clown pants ( trousers for you brits) which make me look bigger also I only have 10 minuets to spot a potential volunteer for the pickpocket act in the second half, the heat of course makes people want to wear less clothes shorts, T ****s, no ties, no or little pocket contents etc

my choices are limited also the element of surprise is lost somewhat as they know there is a pickpocket in the show, the the act will never be 100% the same each and every show time its impossible plus there is a language barrier I'm English I speak English,

BUT in the US of A

there are a lot of differences-Brand names, slang, colloquial speech all this makes a big impact on the verbal or tactile misdirection I like to use, some times my accent is not clear or is confusing, so I am constantly listening to the audience to see what does or does not get a reaction. its not just about the Pickpocketing.

it will not happen over night it will take several months to have it tight and clean

As for the paddy wagon I fit down the t****, Yes I'm much bigger, but unfortunately Cirque made the paddy wagon ergonomically but not practical as it is not strong enough for two performers to be in.
The innocent character also has problems with it and he's only 5 foot tall I'm 6"2".

so in brief that's the facts so far, Cirque have asked me to sign a 2 year contract so I must be doing somthing right?

DWB if you would like to meet up for a magic session and a Coffee ( we Brits don't all drink TEA ) that would be great do you know of a good magic store in Chicago?

Lee Thompson
DWB
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DWB
Hi, Lee.

I apologize sincerely if I was giving misinformation, it wasn't my intent. We ushers kinda get the bottom of the rumor barrel, so what we get is "I heard from "so and so", who head from "so and so"

If you want someone to blame for the trap door statement, blame Magda!! She was who I heard that one from!

I would definitely be down for a cup of coffee, check your inbox
Docta FoxXx
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Docta FoxXx
Ha wow. That's so awesome. Hope you have a good time over coffee DWB. If you get a chance, can you fill us in a bit on the visit? Hope I'm not prying Smile
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I saw Kooza in Toronto last year. It's a great show! Without spoiling anything, the gag with the lady in the audience and her chair was FANTASTIC!
Docta FoxXx
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Docta FoxXx
I'm trying to see KOOZA in DC this October/November. Really looking forward to it!
Lee Thompson
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Lee Thompson
Hi Docta FoxXx,

pm me when you coming to see kooza I'll give you a back stage tour if your interested?

Lee
Lee Thompson
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Lee Thompson
Mmmm? no reply must mean your not interested?
Docta FoxXx
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Docta FoxXx
I apologize, Lee. Just moved back to college. PM on the way!
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Man, I sooo wish KOOZA was coming to Canada (Toronto to be specific)

I would love a back stage pass to something like that.

*sniff*
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JaY-JaY Pickpocket
Your lucky my buddy james...

in australia down under...we barely get nothing...some cirque shows, though at least usa is not too much flight $$ for you guys in canada land.

j.
Check JaY-JaY Out!
www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment
www.myspace.com/jayjayentertainment
Facebook - JaY JaY 'josh jayaweera'
Love to hear from you!
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
JAY-Jay!!

Haven't heard from you in a while, I check on Skype but you're not on.

Message me in facebook, wanna find out what's new.
Lee Thompson
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Lee Thompson
Hi James,
Kooza will eventually go back to Canada? We are only a few hours from you we are in Boston until 19th October, jay jay has more chance of seeing the show as it will go to Australia.
Lee