The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: DOC appears on Best Trick Ever (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
James Galea's show "Best Trick Ever" features DOC doing some deck switches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bI4YSZD9U
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thnks Necro - I miss Doc and that made my day. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
dapo24
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dapo24
I joined the forums after he left, but whatever people think of him being "real" as I saw some older discussion about that you gotta admit he's got the chops Smile.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
The things Doc showed were good for side games. We often only think of poker but my uncle, a professional, won a fortune playing side games only, with the aristocracy. Doc played side games, street games, rather than poker but with a different crowd. The main side game I play is Kalooki, which is quite a different kettle of fish than poker. Some side games that Doc mentioned I have never heard of.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Peterson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Peterson
Nice share.

Youtube comment - "It's really not that good. It's like magician school 101. My tax dollars are being spent letting this guy make a show about this? You've gotta go ABC. I think it's about time we start lobbying against your funding."
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Apparently DOc is not even aware it's aired...
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Great vid, and only reminds me how much I loved having Doc here in the forum with us, as well a on a couple of the private forums.

Doc taught a lot of forum folks, myself included, a lot of things. Some of those things were not at all specific, just attitudinal.

Not to jump-start an old argument, but Doc most definitely was the real deal when he needed to be, and turned into an easy to talk to and highly conversational demo guy when he wrote on the forums.
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
I can certainly see why members on this BB might be enthralled with DOC, excited by his revelations and revel in his image as a street wise, in your face hustler who loves to demo his cheating moves and who beats tough thugs who would kill anyone caught cheating. I will admit he is a fascinating character to watch, captures the imagination, livens up the BB group, excites members and it is fun to watch him pontificate and demo his cold deck moves as he haughtily declares how he will beat all comers.

However, am I correct on this? Is this video from a TV show, James Galea's Best Trick Ever, and aired on Australian national TV? If that is the case then DOC is incredibly courageous and very sportsmanlike. Imagine showing your face on public TV and explaining how you cheat people by cold decking them and them demonstrating your cold deck moves. This man must be fearless and the best at what he does.

Most who did something like that would be scared to death of trying to use those moves, or any moves under fire after showing their face in public but I take my hat off to DOC. He dares to be caught. And if he plays against gun toting thugs and criminals, well this dude must be triple bad and very, very cool.

I love it.
Mr. Bones
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Mr. Bones
Obviously Doc's just got way bigger stones than you do Cag Smile
Mr. Bones
"Hey Rube"!
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Cagliostro wrote:

However, am I correct on this? Is this video from a TV show, James Galea's Best Trick Ever, and aired on Australian national TV? If that is the case then DOC is incredibly courageous and very sportsmanlike. Imagine showing your face on public TV and explaining how you cheat people by cold decking them and them demonstrating your cold deck moves. This man must be fearless and the best at what he does.

Yes, it aired on Australian TV on September 21st I think. The entire segment with DOC is around 7 minutes.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, necro555 wrote:
Quote:

However, am I correct on this? Is this video from a TV show, James Galea's Best Trick Ever, and aired on Australian national TV?...

Yes, it aired on Australian TV on September 21st I think. The entire segment with DOC is around 7 minutes.

Thanks necro555. I never cease to be amazed.

Does anyone know when the motion picture about the life and times of DOC is coming out? I heard it is starring Jamie Foxx as DOC.

Remember, you heard it here first so be on the lookout for it.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Mr. Bones wrote:
Obviously Doc's just got way bigger stones than you do Cag Smile

And much better judgement. Smile
dapo24
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dapo24
@Caglistro I think of him kind of like Erdnase. A cool legend, but certainly not the "real big time hustler" - though I don't doubt that he could have worked some low stake games. Does DOC claim he's still active as a cheat? If so it's indeed a bunch of crap, but there are indeed some people who were real hustlers and after retirment/being busted showed up somewhere in tv (John Farrel, Rod threw 3 card monte in some show after he got his jail sentence).
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I just talked with him and frankly, I don't get it. Myself, I played amateur games only but nobody has ever seen my face. You'll have to wait 10 or 15 years after my last game for it. If ever.
dapo24
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dapo24
@AMCD We just have to marvel at how brave the ultimate hustler Daniel Madison is for showing his face soon after he "almost got killed". He's gotta be the bravest man alive ;P
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, AMcD wrote:

I just talked with him and frankly, I don't get it. Myself, I played amateur games only but nobody has ever seen my face...

Arnold, you are an intelligent man. I don't want to put words in your mouth but in my opinion, you do get it but perhaps don't want to say so directly, therefore the oblique commentary.

Because this is not a hustler's site but rather a magician/demonstrator/hobbyist site, DOC was able to essentially start this BB on a magic forum and make significant contributions to it over the years. Whether his motivation was altruistic or egotistically driven is a different discussion.

His braggadocios, bloviating personality and his performance of standard magician/gambling type demo moves was not only intriguing and exciting for many to watch but also helpful to those looking to master these basic moves, many of which he performed quite skillfully. His "I am a real cheat" persona claims were part and parcel of his performances on this BB and in other venues. Regardless of the veracity of such claims, it enabled many non-hustlers and inexperienced members to vicariously enjoy the life of a "real" cheat and relate the words of "real work" wisdom which came from his mouth to others, thereby elevating their status as being "in the know."

DOC made significant contributions to this forum, no doubt about it, and we all are indebted to him for that. He also could be very abusive and offensive to those who challenged his "words of wisdom" and doubted some of his claims...which reminds me of a story:

Quote:
"The Emperor's New Clothes" is a short tale written by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen, about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes (that is he is stark naked), no one dares to say that they do not see any suit of clothes on him for fear that they will be seen as "unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent." Finally, a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

From the mouths of babes...

Once again, a fascinating character who can stir up interesting conversation and sometimes fireworks.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Don’t you know that Doc is wearing a Mission Impossible mask in that movie?

Tommy
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, tommy wrote:
Don’t you know that Doc is wearing a Mission Impossible mask in that movie?

You are right. I checked. It is the same mask he wears on his Facebook page. Smile
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of necro555
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, Cagliostro wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, necro555 wrote:
Quote:

However, am I correct on this? Is this video from a TV show, James Galea's Best Trick Ever, and aired on Australian national TV?...

Thanks necro555. I never cease to be amazed.

Does anyone know when the motion picture about the life and times of DOC is coming out? I heard it is starring Jamie Foxx as DOC.

Remember, you heard it here first so be on the lookout for it.

In the show, the first couple deck switches looked like he was a bit rusty compared to his cold deck expose video from 11 years back. No surprise there I guess. After the first couple, the deck switches started looking great.

The cold deck switches were then followed by a couple hand mucks (which I thought were done quite poorly because you could see a flash of the cards in his hand before and after the switch). The segment ended with DOC showing his 5-way mirror that he practices with, followed by what he does if he gets caught cheating.

As for the "motion picture", DOC already appeared in the movie FOCUS Smile
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3078 Posts

Profile of AMcD
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2017, Cagliostro wrote:
You are right. I checked. It is the same mask he wears on his Facebook page. Smile

Nobody can beat the mask I wear on my page.