The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Question re Fulves Blocking Off book (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of ein_doppelganger
Hey Guys,

About to place an order with Karl Fulves for his riffle shuffle books "setting up Exercises" and "Riffle Technique." I notice he has one called Blocking Off which the catalog says "Expands on Scarne's riffle shuffle control." Is this more of a magic book or does it have real gambling application. I checked some past threads but didn't find any specific info on "Blocking off."

Thanks in advance,

Ed
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes and no.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Fair enough,
Its the most expensive of the lot so I wanted a bit of a clearer idea before I dropped the $28.

Thanks for the info.

E_D
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-05-18 18:15, ein_doppelganger wrote:
Hey Guys,

About to place an order with Karl Fulves for his riffle shuffle books "setting up Exercises" and "Riffle Technique." I notice he has one called Blocking Off which the catalog says "Expands on Scarne's riffle shuffle control." Is this more of a magic book or does it have real gambling application. I checked some past threads but didn't find any specific info on "Blocking off."

Thanks in advance,

Ed

where are you ordering from? from the po box?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Fulves Blocking Off is based on his own blocking off method. He teaches the method and the process of acquiring the skill in great detail. He suggests many applications to both magic and mainly gambling themed routines. Of interest is Fulves session with John Scarne in the 1970's where Scarne divulged his own blocking off method that he allegedly used to fool Rothstein and his gang. Not surprisingly this is pretty much the Stevens Cull described by Dai Vernon in Revelation. Fulves method is even more difficult than the Stevens Cull. That said, the manuscript has Scarne's 'Slick Aces' effect which is one of the most magical ace cutting routines I've come across. Hope this helps,

Regards,

Paul
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Kcg5: Yeah the PO box. I love that he doesn't have a website Smile

Paul H: that's really informative! Thanks a lot, I feel like I know what I am getting now. I couldn't really tell from the short little catalog entry.

Cheers
Scott
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Have you inquired directly (by letter) of Fulves to see if he's actually got the book in stock?

I've heard various and conflicting stories regarding his Riffle Shuffle tomes purchased directly from him........everything from "oh yeah, he's got them all", to "nah, he doesn't have any of them".

.......and for whatever reason he has, remember he doesn't directly ship anything outside the U.S.A.
ein_doppelganger
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Hey Silver,
sent you a PM.

If I get the books with no problem I will post here. From what I understand they are still available just hard to buy from him since he only takes checks, MO, and cash and you must buy by mail.

Its like Teller's book on David P Abbott, only available via mail. I have never even seen it in a store. Its kinda nice in this age of instant information that no one respects to have to do a little jumping through hoops to get at some valuable insight.

So here is hoping the books come in. I will update as soon as they do.
*fingers crossed*

E_D
Dominique
View Profile
New user
Paris (France)
48 Posts

Profile of Dominique
Hi,

Thanks for the information : "and for whatever reason he has, remember he doesn't directly ship anything outside the U.S.A. ". When you buy the L&L reprint of MR.FULVES' magazines his adress is mentionned without this valuable information...

So that, I was wondering why since I sent a letter to MR.FULVES one year ago (and was about to resend one) I still hadn't received any catalog, neither any answer, to date.

Thanks happy U.S.A. residents :-(
Cordially,
Dominique
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Yes, that's actually how most folks from abroad find out he doesn't ship outside of the U.S.............silence.

He seems not to respond to letters which originate outside the U.S. that are enquiring about his products.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1419 Posts

Profile of Jerry
So E_D, did you get the books? You never updated us what the final outcome was.

How did you find his commercial mailing address?
Can you get all of his books?
How much is the catalog?
Is Karl Fulves still alive and doing business?
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
581 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
Don't forget that you must place a stamp for his reply, specially outside USA...
JJS
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1419 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2015, jjsanvert wrote:
Don't forget that you must place a stamp for his reply, specially outside USA...

No problem with that.

I honestly don't expect a reply from E_D he has not left a message in over a year. Nevertheless I PM also just in case.
Also, someone else may have an answer to my questions.
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2015, Jerry wrote:

How did you find his commercial mailing address?
Can you get all of his books?
How much is the catalog?
Is Karl Fulves still alive and doing business?

1) Karl Fulves, P.O. Box 433, Teaneck, NJ 07666, USA.
2) Write him and ask him.
3) Same as #2
4) He's still alive, having recently completed a run of one of his newsletters.

Do what other folks interested in Fulves material do, write him a letter, include a stamp if you want a reply ... and wait until you hear from him.

(Pro-Tip ... if your stamp isn't of a high enough value, you won't hear back from him, so err on the side of a legal size envelope stamp).
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1419 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Artie, thank you very much.

Jerry