The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: Shuffle tracking at poker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of magician8
I'm sure this idea has been used and done, but I was just thiking, if you find a dealer that shuffles sloppily or always holds a block of cards in the bottom, you could eliminate cards you don't want and give yourself a better chance of winning by estimation.
Has anybody tried it here? did it work?

iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Its been done long before you and I were probably born.. Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of magician8
Have you ever done it?

iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I'm not good enough to do that... Smile
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Form of location play
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
If you are lazy....just keep track of a couple of cards that are together.....a poor shuffler will have a hard time separating them because of the clumping effect of a poorly shuffled deck.

Of course, you can get unlucky and the cards will clump unfavorably....but, the odds are in your favor.

People have also use this technique to intentionally make sure groups are cards are not mixed during their own shuffles.
Long Island,

New York
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Well magician8, if you spend at least day playing poker while using this system, you will know that this is shovle tracking method. Cause you will be digging yourself a hole during a game. This is one of the methods of getting broke drawing. Plus it could be only used for Holdem or Omaha.
Pavlo
h2o
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of h2o
I don't really agree that it could be only used in Holdem or Omaha. There are plenty of games in which this kind of location play gives an advantage.

Quote:
this is shovle tracking method [...] This is one of the methods of getting broke drawing

Don't know what 'shovle' means, but I think we're back to the same old problem: in a game, if you're not a good or at least an average good square player, then because of you're lack of understanding and handling an information, you could still be a loosing player even if you cheat...
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
I misspelled, its shovel. But we talk bout poker here, so yea, its only in Omaha and Holdem, and still I wouldnt put my money on it.
Pavlo
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 08:31, Pavloter wrote:
I misspelled, its shovel. But we talk bout poker here, so yea, its only in Omaha and Holdem, and still I wouldnt put my money on it.

What about Stud games?
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Your odds get better of you tie shuffle tracking with edge marking or other marked cards Smile
Long Island,

New York
Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 16:36, iamslow wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 08:31, Pavloter wrote:

What about Stud games?
Well I don't really think it is applicable there at all. Unless you track cards in big ammounts
Pavlo
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Quote:
On 2008-05-05 17:36, Expertmagician wrote:
Your odds get better of you tie shuffle tracking with edge marking or other marked cards Smile

Yeah, the odds get better of you getting your teeth knocked out if someone finds the marks on the cards... Smile
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

First they have to prove who marked the deck Smile ... Playing a dumb and stupid is a great disguise Smile .... perfect for a nerd act Smile

And if you use some of the more sophisticated marking techniques, I would not worry about it being discovered Smile

The last time I looked, I had all of my teeth Smile
Long Island,

New York
h2o
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of h2o
Quote:
The last time I looked, I had all of my teeth

Well, that's because people pay to be fooled in a magic show. They won't be really much upset if they detect your marked cards. In a card game, people lay their money with the hope to win some more. They usually won't appreciate to be ripped off by a cheat.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
ALl I was trying to say is why bother tracking if the cards are marked anyways? I know I would have a headache trying..
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
This is like the best thread ever.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-07 04:30, iamslow wrote:
ALl I was trying to say is why bother tracking if the cards are marked anyways? I know I would have a headache trying..

The reason why is that edge marks are obvious if you look for them and they are hard to read from a distance. If you large marks like Juice or Luminous, which may be read across a table, it is sometimes nice to know which cards are coming & when. So, the suffle tracking will give you an approximate location and allow you to estimate when the marked cards will be dealt. When the marked card is on the top of the deck or if it was dealt to someone...then you KNOW becaise the crd was marked. In summary, the marked card verifies your shuffle tracking "estimation".

Shuffle tracking is also useful to know which cards may be out of play.

H2O,

You are right about being caught with marked cards when performing magic and gambling. I am talking about using these technqiues for gambling demonstrations and/or expose's...never for cheating. That would be illegal and immoral. But, each person has their own conscience.

Regardless, I personally belive in using the best technology and techniques available since I don't want to be caught by anyone, including my fellow magicians Smile But, that is a personal choice.
Long Island,

New York
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
This is like the best thread ever.

I've been on the edge of my seat since the first post.

It's amazing how you can have a thread, and not even have anything in it!........I can hardly wait 'till the next post.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Blah...blah .... blah .... Smile
Long Island,

New York