The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Gambling Spot :: My Magic Castle Audition - Gambling Theme? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
This Saturday I will be auditioning for the Junior Society (Yes, being the ever so wondeful 18 years of age is frustrating to say the least). I will be performing a 5 minute card routine of gambling nature that runs parallel with a story about my fathers backroom card games when I was a kid. Is this something they would want to see or are they looking more for a classic routine such as the cups and balls?

It's very annoying (as I live here now) that I can't get in at prime hours. It is understandable because of the serving of alchohol (the law) and the maturity issue, but frustrating because I want to see and talk to some of the greats.

-Grant Carden
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Tough! You'll be 21 some day and then you are in. When I was a teen I stood and watched Dai Vernon go in the Castle and felt the same way. Then I got older and realized why teens should be segragated!
Steve V
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Living in LA, I'm sure you'll find plenty of opportunity to meet the card guys outside of the Castle...
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-09-11 02:11, Mr. Z wrote:
Living in LA, I'm sure you'll find plenty of opportunity to meet the card guys outside of the Castle...

which indeed may do him more good than actually getting in!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
Saturday! It does not leave you much time to start working out what you are going to do. I don't know what they like but in the circumstances I would do what ever I could do best as I don't think it matters what you do but how you do it that matters. Anyway I wish you luck.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
I would sincerely hope that what they're looking for is a routine that seems natural to you as a performer and as a person. We all know you're pretty good with the cards, having seen your videos here & there, and we know you're a creative dude based on your movie clips. So if you've got a well developed gambling themed act, you'll do fine.

Do some detective work, find out where the card guys hang in your area, and see if you can strike up a conversation. Any older magician worth their salt will sense that you have a genuine interest.
tjo'
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Do what you are most comfortable doing. Do not try to fool them. Do not worry about "what magicians think." Do material that allows your personality to shine through and do it well.