The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! :: Origami Bat from a poker card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Here is a link to my diagram for an origami bat from a poker card.

Click here!

I use it as a memento to give away in my routine VladSpike (described in another thread). I wonder how else it might be used....

As a finishing touch, I have found that the clear plastic tubes sold to coin collectors for storing stacks of US Jefferson nickels are exactly the right size to hold one of the finished bats with his wings nicely rolled around his body. I suspect there is a standard sized test tube that would work as well, but I haven't located it yet.

Please feel free to use this if it suits you... I would get a real thrill out of finding one in the wild that I hadn't folded. Smile
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I've been attempting this fold for the last hour, and I'm not sure how we get from step one to step two.

After folding up the bottem corners I'm not sure I understand how the wings are placed on a diagonal.
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
I can see that the diagram might suffer a bit from brevity. Valuable in careful writing, but possibly not in clear explication of a series of steps. But you see, it fits on one sheet this way... Smile

It may help if you leave the card mountain-folded along the center of the body and work on each wing individually. The wings should be symmetric anyway. If you do that, then after folding up the bottom corner, the wing folds across the body, and the rabbit ear crimp is more natural.

Looking at the diagram today, the valley folds that separate the wings from the body are not particularly obvious. Each wing is folded from the toe point roughly along the edge of the flap to the center point of the rabbit-ear crimp.

The tear between the ears should extend only far enough down the body to give the ears their shape.

The last step is to fold the toes to the back. Done last, this locks the wings in position and even provides a nice way to hang it in a natural, sleeping bat posture.

I will fold one later tonight and take pictures to add to the page where the diagram sits. Having a photograph of the result may help.

Incidentally, when adjusting for a rectangle other than a poker card, you need to adjust the angle of those folds that separate the wings from the body so that the proportions remain reasonble.

I updated the web page to include photos of a bat being folded to attempt to clarify any questions about the diagram and to show a finished bat.

home.earthlink.net/~berteig/BatCard/PokerCardBat.html

Enjoy!
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I believe I've been able to come up with the correct final product. It took some work. Thank you for your help - this is a neat fold!

Kindest Regards,
George Tait
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
This is cute. I'm going to try it and see what happens. Wish me luck!

Anabelle
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
"This time for sure, Rocky!"

I just had it pointed out to me that although I did take pictures and update the text, I didn't actually upload it to the right spot.

It's better now.

The page at home.earthlink.net/~berteig/BatCard/PokerCardBat.html. now actually has the pictures I thought I put there days ago.

Oops. Sorry for any confusion.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
I really like this idea. This can be a great souvenir to give away. It's made me want to go back through my origami books and see if there's anything else that can be adapted. Thanks for the info and photos!
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Hahahaha! I love this! Is there a book out there on playing card origami?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Hmm. Perhaps I should collect a few more models and write one. I know I didn't find any folds explicitly for playing cards when I started my quest for this bat by searching the origami litterature (or at least that part of it findable online).

Part of the difficulty, of course, is the medium itself. Traditionally, origami is done with washi, a light-weight strong paper made from mulberry bark. It can take a remarkable number of creases without tearing.

A Bicycle card, on the other hand, can take about three folds along any particular crease before it wants to start to tear...

I was recently shown a one fold elephant, perhaps that could be adapted?

Seriously, the modular origami folks often work with business cards. Its probably possible to adapt many of those for playing cards. That would add a new dimension to the classic house of cards Smile
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
SWEET!!!
keeper
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee, FL
57 Posts

Profile of keeper
Ross

This is great. I think magic goes to the next level when we leave a piece of it with our spectators. This is a perfect example of something that will be saved and the story re-told often by the person you give it to. Thanks for sharing it.
Make every day a magicial adventure

Al
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Very nice, thanks for posting it! I recently picked up a small bat carved from stone. I wanted it just as a piece of art, but the more I look at it, the more it just seems to be begging for inclusion in an effect.

Perhaps combining it with this fold? Anyone have any good bat-themed effects that they can point me to? How are you using this folded bat, for example?
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I just made the bat out of one of my Black Tiger Bicycles and it looks so cool! Now it really does look like a little bat. Just thought I'd share that.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Don't think there's been a book yet on folding playing cards - I second the thought, Ross - go for it! I have a feeling it'd get a great response.
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Quote:
On 2004-07-21 10:54, keeper wrote:
This is great. I think magic goes to the next level when we leave a piece of it with our spectators. This is a perfect example of something that will be saved and the story re-told often by the person you give it to. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks. Something I always try to do is find effects where some kind of memento can be left in the hands of a spectator. My goal is to leave a concrete reminder of the sense of wonder. Something that can become the basis of family stories.

Quote:
On 2004-07-23 11:45, Gordon wrote:
How are you using this folded bat, for example?

I chased the idea of this bat as the ideal memento for an original piece I am developing with the working title VladSpike. A version of it told as a story is found here.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Darko
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Darko
I love origami and Oriental magic. Reading your post and seeing your bat gave me an idea: I'll create a close-up routine only with origami.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Combining an origami fold with a mythological tale would be a wonderful treat. Origami is so mysterious and complicated to the lay person (and ME!). It is almost like watching a Mage cast a spell on a piece of paper and having it transform into a creature.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
jsmagus
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jsmagus
I also folded this with a Black Tiger card. It looks really good. I think these cards may add a little something darker to your already wonderful routine. Thanks for sharing this!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
After making the bat, perhaps you could hold it to the light and have it vanish in a puff of smoke.

Just a thought.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jsmagus
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jsmagus
Great idea Jonathan!