The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! :: Blow up paper square? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
trickymagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trickymagic
I used to fold up this piece of paper into a square, then at one end was a small hole. If you blew pretty hard in this hold the square would inflate, and you would be left with a 3D cube. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Ezekiel Jump
-carpe diem-
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Yes, this is made by starting with something called the "Water Bomb Base" and the piece you're looking for is the "water bomb" itself. If you go to this web page, you'll have the directions. I think the page itself is in Czech, but the directions are very clear. Good luck!

http://www.origami.cz/Bin/bwaterbomb.gif
trickymagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trickymagic
Thank you so much. I got most of it, then got stuck with those pictures. But the name of it, I was able to google, and found a site in English that I could follow. Thank you again for helping!!!!!
Ezekiel Jump
-carpe diem-
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
My pleasure - Happy folding!
profgizmo
View Profile
New user
Florida
54 Posts

Profile of profgizmo
This is one of the classics of origami. I often make these with different size pieces of paper to get different size boxes. They are called water bombs because you are supposed to be able to fill them with water and then throw them!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
As a youngster, We would draw pictures on the part of the paper that would be the inside, fold it up, and we'd trade them...you blow it up and look through the hole to see the picture. Would be a great advertising gimmick if you could make the text (and whatever pics) inside look professional.

Steve
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
It's called a "WaterBomb and most Origami Books have this. I first saw it in a book on Origami by Dover Pubs. It is made from a waterbomb base (go figure). I have it on my DVD, Money Menagerie. You can also with minor modifications make the WaterBomb (cube) into a rabbit.

Hope this helps.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD