The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! :: Best Origami paper? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Anybody here have a reccomendation for the very finest, high quality origami paper available, and where it can be had?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Hi,
There is no "best" origami paper. Much will depend on what you are folding. Some of the best paper to fold is the paper they use to make dollar bills.

For some models, you need soft paper to blur or soften creases. Soft paper is also good if you do what I call a "color change" fold. This is where you have paper with each side a different color. You have to unfold a portion and turn the paper inside out and then refold it to show a differnt color.
Some folders use textured paper to give their models a life like appearance.

A general rule when buying origami paper is to find thin, tough paper that holds a crease without tearing when you perform comlex folds. I once used a calendar from the university of Maryland to fold a very difficult (for me) Kangaroo by Samuel Randlette. I use computer paper to test a new model and then find quality paper to fold it. Many scrapbooking papers are excellent for origami.

Here are some sources for Origami Paper, but you can find origami paper (pricey though)at any large craft store.

SOURCES:

Origami USA: http://www.origami-usa.org/
Oriland: http://www.oriland.com/index.asp
Kim's Crane: http://www.kimscrane.com/

Happy folding
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Of course, there is also specific left-handed origami paper and right-handed origami paper for the more intricate origami patterns. If you happen to buy the wrong kind, don't panic. Just reverse you position around the table 180 degrees and read the instructions up-side down. Everything will work out if you do so.

BTW, don't pass up Lefty's (Sterling Dare's) excellent Money Menagerie DVDs. Two volumes. You can buy them singly or as a set. I recommend the set. The instructions are very clear to follow. Of course naything would be easy to follow when the instructor (Sterling) is using dollar bills the size of a house!! And, that said, Sterling's instructions are very easy to follow.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This info is very helpful!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. I owe a lot of gratitude to those who helped me get the book and DVD produced. A special thanks to Dennis Loomis who called me out of the blue to do the DVD.

Happy Folding
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD