The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: Another vent figure question... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Hi folks,

I really enjoyed reading what you all had to say on the best vent figures topic.
I have a couple of questions -
Firstly - I have never used a vent hard figure (only puppets)and as far as I can tell there are 2 types of mouth, 'The slot jaw' (with the lines on the figures face) and the mouth without the lines, where the figures bottom lip only seems to move.
It seems to me that the second would be more of an aid in creating the illusion of life as the face is more realistic. But, I would like to know your opinion and also the benefits and pitfalls you see in each type of mouth.
Secondly, I'm wanting to start off relatively inexpensively and I have been looking at the 40" Maher figures, in particular, Comical Clyde or Cody.
You can look for yourself here - http://www.maherstudios.com/profigures.htm#Professional%20Figures%20-%2040"

Has anyone had experience with these figures and if so how do you find them re- mechanics, workmanship etc.

I greatly appreciate your time and your help.

Many thanks
Billy
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I can’t offer any opinion over the two types of mouth. I have always used a slot jaw figure. Frankly the audience knows that it’s a figure and your animation of it creates the illusion of life. I think that the bottom line with jaw/mouth type is just a matter of taste.

I have a Maher 40 inch professional figure. My figure is a discontinued model. Look at the 40-inch Jerry and you will get an idea of what mine sort of looks like.

It is well made and works like a charm. The mechanics are smooth functioning and reliable. The levers are well set-up and easy to handle. Maher makes a good figure. All figures come with a round neck socket for ease of handling the head (pretty much the industry standard regardless of make), moveable mouth, and moveable eyes.

My figure has several of the all the options available. It has the side to side moving eyes that are self-centering, the winkers/blinkers, raising eyebrows, flapping ears, and the flat bottom so that it can sit without fear of it falling over (he’s sitting on a box watching me type this!).

Interestingly the teeth and mouth have been carved in such a way that you can get a closed mouth, an upper teeth smile or a full (upper and lower mouth) smile. It only takes a slight movement of the controller to get the effects.

Right now he is gathering dust, as I am not doing any ventriloquism. If you are interested I could give you a good deal. You could have him for the base price of the 40-inch figure plus shipping. That means you are getting all the options at no cost.

I also have the old and beat-up (but still serviceable) travel case.

PM if interested.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
331 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Hi Billy,

I have a Comical Clyde type figure, but I got it not as new. The seller said that he bought it direct from Craig Lovik, the figure maker, who used to sell the figure to Maher Studio. But I heard that Craig Lovik didn't make figure any more and also heard that his son still do it. Any way you can trust Maher Studio about their product, because they have very good reputation in ventriloquism business.

My figure arrived with stuck jaw, if I opened his mouth too wide. But after I sand it a little in the jaw area, it is OK now.

About slot jaw and living mouth. Most living mouth use a leather to cover the hole below bottom lips. This leather after aging, should be replace with another and of course need new painting patch also. And most of the living mouth figure is from paper mache, not wood or composite.

BTW Harry offer a good deal, if his figure meet your figure character in your mind.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Thanks to Harry and Budi Ha Ha for your respnses, they have both been very helpful.
By the way Budi, I love the Orangutan.

Cheers
Billy
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
331 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
You are welcome Billy!

Orangutan real habitat is in my country, Indonesia and one of the world endanger species. But my Orangutan is from Axtell http://www.axtell.com

If you consider to buy soft figure, please take a look to Axtell's figures. The audience love Axtell's figures just on their first sight.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha.
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Hey Billy!--Howsit goin'?---In regards to the type that the bottom lip only moves---that is called "the living mouth type"----WELL the problem is---when you talk your jaw DOES MOVE and not just your bottom lip---look in the mirror---SO they are really not as realistic as the slot jaw-----cheers!--Jimeuax
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
I have been a ventriloquist for as long as I have been a magician which is about 35 years. I have to say the slot jaw, in my opinion, is the best because it is easier for the audience to see the mouth move instead of just the bottom lip. If your audience is far back it will be more difficult to associate the voice coming from the figure with just a bottom lip movement and just like Jimeaux elaborated on you don't just move your bottom lip when speaking. You might also want to check out the line of MONSTER PUPPETS on our website at http://www.fabmagic.com

Best of luck to you.Rick Fisher
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Hi everyone

I have a cheeky boy type of head that I got in England many years ago. However, what I need is a body. Anyone got any ideas on where to get a cheap one?

Thanks

Al
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Maher folks (link above) repairs and builds figures. They will probably build you or sell you a body for your figure. However, the body is so very easy to build compared to the head that you should just do it yourself. Hands can be bought unpainted from several sources.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Thanks a lot, Harry. Do you know where I would find info on building a body? Books? videos? etc?

Thanks,

Al
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
331 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
The best figure making book, in my opinion, is Mike Brose's book, "Figure Making Can be Fun!" The website is http://www.puppetsandprops.com/home.html. Mike also sell vent figures parts, such as head, body, hands, feet, and so on.

If you need more simple book, Maher Studio have one. The title is Make Your Own Dummy.

Or you can try to read free figure making info from
http://www.alstevens.com/ventriloquism/fred.html.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Thanks Budi for your help. I will check out those figure making books. The Brose book sounds good.

By the way I bought an Axtel bird puppet many years ago and it's till in A-1 shape. The audiences love it.

Best

Al
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Over the years I have switched to soft puppets.

They don't last as long, but with care you can get many many years. I have bought duplicates for i.e. Nigel (Folkmanis right off the shelf).

"He" really helps sell the show.

I used to close with him. Now I open and close with him.

Last year, he found his nearly normal Grandfather.(Papa Charlie)

Rick, I really enjoyed your lecture for the S.A.M. Assembly 38 a few years ago.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u