The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: Bird Arm Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I've been only using the Axtell Bird Arm Illusion for a year but it always gets a great response. It's now the most popular part of my show, but there are always some kids who want me to know that they know it's not a real arm or bird. Do others run into this and have suggestions for handling this?
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
I also use a Vern puppet and arm Illusion in my kids show as my main stay character and have been for 8 years. It always gets a huge, huge reaction. I do a complete show with magic and vent and the kids always say that the bird was their favorite part.

If the child is so dead set on making everyone know that the puppet and the arm are not real then you give it to them straight. I look right at the child and say, "yes, you're right; he's a puppet." Then I have the puppet look at me and say "I am?"

This throws the kid off balance and ends the disruption right there. It doesn't do any harm to the other children's reactions from the puppet.

This is the only way to combat this that I have found that works fast and for sure. The child has no rebuttal to that.

This is a much better option then to let him continue to disrupt the show and egg the other children on into an anti-puppet session.

You may also want to invest in the animated arm illusion where the fingers move. I don't have this but it seems like it would add an extra dimension to the illusion.

Anyone out there use it?
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Thanks for the suggestion, Jimmy. It sounds like a good way to go. In my mind I'm not trying to fool them with the illusion. But it does help to sell the bird being alive.

I also do a magic act and do a routine with Vern and the Magic Drawing Board. They are always the favorites.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Where can you get one of these from?

Thanks,

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Steve Axtell makes and sells them. He has a patent as well. Here's a link:
http://www.axtell.com/
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Oliver,

Thanks for the link. Just had a browse around the site and oh boy was I impressed.
The moving arm illusion looks awsome!

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Roslyn,
Yes, the moving arm is very cool. I have that one. I'd also recomend that if you buy the Vern puppet, buy the $149 latex version. I bought the $49 vinyl Vern to learn ventriloquism. When I started performing with it the response was so strong I decided to buy the latex puppet. I couldn't believe how much better it looks. You'll love it.

Oliver
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I don't really do vent. I use puppets all the time, but never learnt how to give them a voice of their own. Are there any decent videos, dvds or books available?

Roslyn
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Axtell has pre-recorded routines you can use that are very good. It takes a lot of patience and practice to get your timing in synch with the CD. I started learning that way, but decided my time would be better spent learning ventriloquism. It was worth it.

I like Steve Taylor's 3 tape set the best. Available from Axtell also.
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
I learned from a book... "Kolby King's Ventriloquism Made Easy." Not the best resoruce for vent but it worked for me! Lots of practice!

Everything Ax makes is a home run!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks guys,

Roslyn
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
Hey Jimmy V---I talked to you at Vent Haven last year with Fritz---anyway I agree you can't beat Axtell's stuff---That Kolby King book really has all you need to know it is just compressed---------cheers!----Jimo
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
331 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Don't forget about Maher Ventriloquist Course. Their Millenium Edition include Mark Wade's video or DVD.
Please check:
http://www.maherstudios.com/course.htm

I learnt from older version of Maher Course.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Has anyone got the Axtells McCaw/ parrot, or have you seen it close up, whats your views, than you.
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
331 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
I have seen it and tried it at IVA Festival 2001. It is very life like, but the consequences is the beak also small. You can manipulated the beak, but maybe not too convenient.

Hope this helps.

Budi Ha Ha
(Proud owner of several Axtell products)
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I use the standard bird arm illusion. I have never had anyone yell out that it does not look real. The illusion is incredible. I am interested in the moving arm illusion but not sure if it is worth the asking price. The movement seems like it would be very minimal and not really noticeable by the audience. They seem like they are so fixated on the puppet and the routine that the hand moving slightly is not really a big deal. Actually, I find that kids today have an entirely diffent take on vent acts. Todays modern electronics and robotics is familiar to kids. They see a vent and automatically start coming up with modern technology as the method. It just doesn't have the "magic" it used to before all this technology stuff arrived. It's still entertaining, which is why I use it, but the younger kids are not as impressed because of these advances.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Consider the Arm (as wonderful as it is!) as merely your puppet STAGE. A puppet stage that is dressed as a castle is hardly taken for a real castle...it just doesn't matter...the arm gives just enough pause to rinkle the brow and draw a smile...in that it is perfection...no one who is taken by the fantasy of a puppet come to life will give a hoot. (unless it's an owl of course Smile )

The moving fingers adds a lot but it then becomes more than your stage...it's another puppet!

That's pretty cool too!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I bought the moving fingers version because I thought it would enhance the illusion, but I never even turn it on. Save your money. You don't need it.

Oliver
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
You are right Oliver about the moving fingers version, I too think you should save your money on this one.

Emmett
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
Another point on the Bird Arm, I have seen some people use the Bird Arm just the way they get it without resizing it to match their other arm. They have one arm 4 to 6 inches shorter than the other and it looks silly. Take the time to make it match your other arm and position the fingers so that they look natural for you.

I thought the arm looked a bit fat and puffy and made a cast of my forarm using the gauze and plaster. Eventually I will replace it with a foam-rubber cast of arm and hand. The arm will have a tuxedo sleeve and the hand will be painted to match mine. That way I don't need to put on the cloth gloves.

The Compleat Sculptor (www.sculpt.com) has a great selection of mold-making and casting supplies. Another good source is smooth-on.com.

Oliver