The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: Save my puppets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of asgar
I recently started ventriloquism.It is alright When I use it in my parlor show but when the kids are close many kids seem to try to pull or kick it.Solutions????????????

Another thing is -When do use your puppets?
Always in parlor or stage show or in close-up or strolling shows too.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
MT
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of MT
Don't let the kids get close. Put blue masking tape on floor and tell them not to cross it.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of asgar
Is it me or does that happen a lot?
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
It's not just you, they all do it, let them get close enough, they'll be prodding, poking, pulling, and the younger ones always want to put their fingers in the figure's mouth.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I have tables in front of me and my puppet, and I also set up Stanchions about 3-4 feet in front of my tables. The tables help the most though, as the kids sometimes even knock the stanchions down.
The table I have in front of my puppet is those scissors kind, that I can even adjust the height of the table.
I do my puppet routine, and then I go into my magic show. I put my puppet or puppets up before I end my show.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I've found that certain puppets tend to draw this behavior more than others, but they all do attract kids. Controlling this is about controlling your space generally, even when strolling. I will securely put up a puppet when not in use at that moment in a show, because some puppets seem so much like toys, kids think they're fair game. Adults too will sometimes try to poke an eye or put a finger in the puppet's mouth, especially with hard figures. I worked as a clown for many years, and when wearing the nose you develop a real sense for body language, you can really anticipate when a kid's going to reach for the nose. The same sense can be developed for anticipating a puppet grab. One thing you can do with littler kids is get on one knee to interact (which will make the kid more comfortable also) then when you sense they're going for the puppet you can casually get up and out of reach.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com