The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I'm a real boy! :: A hard puppet or Maher first.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bohh
View Profile
Regular user
Northeast Ohio
162 Posts

Profile of Bohh
Hey all,

I've only got enough cash to get either the maher course or a hard puppet "do-it-yourself" kit from puppets and props. I currently have a soft puppet, but he isn't anywhere near the proffesional level. I do have two books that I've been working out of, but at the end of the one I've just finished it recommends to pick up Maher now.

Just looking for your opinions.

Thanks,

Mike

Hmm,

I think I could manage a lower priced axtell puppet and the Maher course. I'm looking at vern or the cockatoo. Do they have the ability to show as much emotion and feelings as a hard puppet?

Thanks,

Mike
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Oh...absolutely..

The latex face enables maximum movement. You can move mouths, noses and in some cases the eyes.

The bird collection is great. I have recently been looking into wooden figures now that I have been learning better and more ventriloquism correctly...THe one that I want will cost me $360 though...pluys $75 for moveable eyebrows...

it will cost a pretty penny, but I believe and hope that it will be money well spent!
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com
Bohh
View Profile
Regular user
Northeast Ohio
162 Posts

Profile of Bohh
That's where I am kind of stuck. I'm really excited, and know it's something I want to do. But, I don't know if I should spring for the hard figure first (they are definitally expensive) or get a nice latex friend first and the maher course.

Have you used the maher course, Kyle? How do you like it?

Thanks,

Mike
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Mike I would sugesst get the couarse first . I am a graduate of the couarse and it was great. Its like driving a car , I would not buy a car until I took lessons and had a liscense to drive. The maher coaurse is a great course and if you follow thru and practice you will be able to do it. Chuck Lyons
KyletheGreat
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
560 Posts

Profile of KyletheGreat
Mike,

I am currently using the Maher course (thanks to sluggo)

I find it very interesting and I use a latex faced puppet. When you are just starting out, it is best to use a cheaper puppet first to see whether or not it is something you really want to do...then go for the wooden figure.

I am using axtells rabbit until I get very good at it. I read and taught myself minor ventriloquism a few years ago...now that I have started reading and learning from the maher course, I realize that I had only barely touched the procedures and materials! I am learning so much! Once I master it and do a few shows...if I really enjoy it...which I think I will! Then I will buy a $400+ wooden figure with the works.

Whatever tickles your fancy. If you want a wooden puppet, then with all means...go for it...but I suggest you start with something a little cheaper till you get it going and make your final decisions.

As far as getting the course first goes...you cannot do ventriloquism till you know how to do it...and the maher course seems like a great way to learn. You might want to get the course...and use a small really cheap toy puppet till you get the hang of things...then get a nicer one.

The only reason I am using a $370 puppet right now is because I did not pay for it! It belonged to a company that books me out for shows. They bought it to go with their program so it became part of my property unless they desperately want it back...but I would probably fight for it...seeing as how when I went to pick it up, it was just stored in a box in a HUGE warehouse along with other props for their program. They would do nothing with the puppet...it would just sit in the warehouse and rot. I cannot allow that. They agreed to let me keep and take care of it. This was years ago...they are still booking me and they have yet to ask about it...so I got really lucky.
Kyle Jarrard
"Entertainment at its Best"

http://www.kylesmagic.com
http://www.hypnobilly.com