The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Halloween Costume 2010 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Here is a link to my 2010 Halloween Costume: http://wrightentertainment.biz/balloon-mario-costume/. I've now been blessed to win the $1200 first place prize in Northeast Ohio's largest costume contest 2 years in a row. I'm going out again tonight to try to win some more.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
alee7371
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of alee7371
I don't post much but I do have to say that is a pretty cool costume. Great job and congratulations on winning the costume contest.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Thanks. Just won another grand tonight. Here's another pic: http://wrightentertainment.biz/another-win-for-mario/
Jeff Wright
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
That is simply beautiful. Congrats on the double first prizes. How did you do Mario's shoes? 3 ft rounds?
Weird is part of the job.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Mario's shoes are simply 646's tied into a loop then twisted onto a 350 and pressure fitted around another. Then I added some uninflated balloon straps for support. Yoshi's shoes where more of a random construction involving a weave, 350's and 5" rounds.
Jeff Wright
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Jeff, another magnificent winner. I love that you have a venue for appreciation for this level of work, and was thinking of you as Halloween approached this year, with your serious contests. The most I know of around here is one for $100.

I was going to post my costume head picture here, but it so pales in comparison. I did however, get TONS of props for it in DisneyWorld. I will post a short video. I never had so many people ask to take my picture, including many cast members. Next to yours, no one would have noticed, but in a sea of more of the same, I stood out.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Andrew,

I say it all the time to (though don't know if I've ever said it here): You're industry peers are very rarely, if ever going to give you a paycheck. You're not getting paid to impress them. Impress the layperson, and it's a job well done.

So well done to you sir. I look forward to seeing the video.

It is fun to have all those pictures taken. It was fun tracking myself down on Facebook the next day.
Jeff Wright
under6
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of under6
Great job Jeff - just amazing! I am just curious about how much time you have invested in something as large as your costume. It must have awed the crowds.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
The whole piece this year took me around 8 hours. I'm a big trial and error guy and there was far less error than expected, so things went quickly. I guess I weave pretty quickly too.

The crowds react very well to it. While "Best Costume" is by nature very subjective, there is something special about balloons that absolutely blows people away. If someone makes a great costume out of cloth, or foam, or cardboard, or wood, or any other traditional building material, people can understand that, but balloons are literally unbelievable to most people. It definitely works to my advantage.

Thank you for the compliment.
Jeff Wright
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Awesome!
Happily Yours,