The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Who is Ed Estrin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
As the tittle suggest does anyone know who Ed Estrin is? He will be the balloon guy at the clown convention that will be taking place in Winnipeg in April. I am not a clown so many of the other items (make up, costuming, etc.) wont really apply to me. I was just wondering what type of material he has and if someone can link to a website as I was unable to find one on google. I would consider myself near the top of my market, would I gain much from attending his lecture or would my time be better spent actually performing and making money.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
On his bio is says simple balloon creations. So I guess you will have to decide.

http://www.worldclown.com/files/Bio_s_Cl......Bio1.pdf
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Thanks kevinr,
I got the schedule emailed to me to see what items I could miss and take shows during that time. Apparently he is also teaching an advanced balloon session so I am interested in seeing exactly what is considered advanced. I do a lot of Don's material as well as Ken Stillmans and lot from other people that I would say are advanced. I am wondering if his work in on the same level.

On a side note if I do attend the convention (since its in my hometown) I would probably enter the balloon competition. After taking a look at the website and seeing past winners I think I have a good chance of winning. Do you guys think that winning a first place at this convention would actually do anything for business?
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
More the losing will Smile
It will look good on promo stuff.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I guess the real question is do people even care if you came in first at _____ event. I guess it doesn't hurt and if it helps one or two people decide to go with me then it was worth the time.

I found Ed“LoMax” Estrin's website http://www.lomaxandtango.com . There is no pictures of balloons so that doesn't shine a good light on him as a balloon instructor. Of course I hope I'm wrong and if you know please clue me in. I will go if not booked else where but is it something I should schedule around? He is from San Diego if any one from California knows him.

Thanks
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I taught balloons at the Orlando one....

Nope never heard of the guy.

I used to be a clown ..... long time ago (more recently in China, but that was different)

Now I know why I stopped....
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I still have not found any information about this gentleman. I asked one of the clowns that will be attending and he didn't know anything about him either. I asked what is considered "advanced" and he said anything with more than one balloon. *shiver*

I have decided to enter the competition. There are some pretty strange and dare I say absurd rules that don't allow for any truly amazing sculptures. You have to make four sculptures in four different categories with an hour time limit for all of them.

I have figured out what to do for most of them. One of the items you submit must be made of only one balloon. Any one have any ideas of a decent sculpture with only one balloon?
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I think Ed chee made a great clown on a unicycle with one check it out on balloonhq but you might need to work up your own design don't know..
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Thanks kevinr I will try and look up the unicycle.
I don't believe the designs have to be unique. The past winners used some pretty standard sculptures. The larger sculptures are mostly my own design and at least one of them will be in line with this years theme.

Now I just have to decide if I should go in the novice or advanced competition. According to the rules I would be considered a novice as I don't have any instructional material out or make most of my income from balloons.

I just wish they allowed more time as I would really like to build some incredible stuff.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
There is an asian guy they call "The One Balloon King" his stuff rocks! I liked his lobster!
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Well apparently I missed the deadline to register for the competition as I did not attend the first day (was off making a boat load of cash). That means I wont be a gold medal winner for the world clown association.

I attended Ed's advanced balloon class today. He taught Ed Chee's bunny hat (he said he had permission) and a large monkey which is a standard design with a Ken Stillman hitchhiker body. This sucks as I was the only one doing the bunny hat in my market.

As for the convention itself I am not overly impressed. You would think that there would be a lot more advanced material taught in all aspects at a world convention.

Hopefully I gain something from it as I have spent $200 to register and the gas to drive across town to get to it.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
This is the best bunny hat I know.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 22:39, Ryan Price wrote:
Well apparently I missed the deadline to register for the competition as I did not attend the first day (was off making a boat load of cash). That means I wont be a gold medal winner for the world clown association.

HA HA HA I was disqualified from entering a balloon Sculpting competition at a SEC (south Eastern Clown Convention) BECAUSE I was a professional balloon artist.

It seems they are okay with giving clown awards to professional clowns BUT when it comes to skilled events they only want amateurs. Up side I got to meet Tom Myers.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2010-04-22 10:24, Bad to the Balloon wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-20 22:39, Ryan Price wrote:

HA HA HA I was disqualified from entering a balloon Sculpting competition at a SEC (south Eastern Clown Convention) BECAUSE I was a professional balloon artist.

It seems they are okay with giving clown awards to professional clowns BUT when it comes to skilled events they only want amateurs. Up side I got to meet Tom Myers.

Wow I can't believe that Mark... Crazy...

Somehow I forgot the link to my favorite balloon hat to make here is a link of one I usually make that's on Balloonhq

http://www.balloonhq.com/photos/db//comp......tmapid=0

Photo ID: 71743

Very simple and a HUGE bunny hat!
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
Ed is a good man. In addition to being a clown for many years, he's a master magician who performed at the Magic Castle for many years. He currently resides here in San Diego and attends IBM Ring 76 meetings.
Life is an improv. The game goes on...