The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Kalver's Cats (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

I saw that Bruce Kalver has a new DVD on making famous cats such as "Cat in the Hat" and "Garfield". I'm constantly asked to make a cat - can anyone comment on this DVD? I don't have any of Bruce Kalver's DVDs, but I think T Myers gives him good reviews. The DVD is available directly from Bruce or from T Myers.

Thanks.

Ron
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I just ordered this, so I will post a review once I get it...if anyone is interested.

Ron
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
I like to heard about this dvd too.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I finally got around to watching the DVD and think it's pretty good. The cats that are taught are Sylvester, Garfield, Felix, Lion from the Lion King (Simba?), Odie (Garfield's dog friend) and the Cat in the Hat. It's a pretty short DVD...all cats take multi balloons - the Cat in the Hat takes the most as it's a full sized sculpture (3 or 4 feet tall).

Bruce definitely knows his stuff. You can tell he's a balloon pro. The problem I have with most balloon sculptures of famous characters is that most of them only look "pretty much" like the real thing. I think that's the case here. I think I would rather do more generic animals than try to duplicate famous cartoon characters that look pretty close to the real thing.

The best animal on the DVD is Odie the Dog. Looks pretty much like the cartoon Odie, but it's VERY cute - kids will love it even if you just call him a dog. The Garfield cat uses a 260's with one 160 balloon, and I can't blow up the 160s, so I won't do that.

It sounds like I didn't like the DVD, but I do. I will use mainly the Sylvester and Odie and maybe the Lion King.

Recommended.

Ron Reid
magic4jc
View Profile
Regular user
Texas, USA
148 Posts

Profile of magic4jc
Ron,

Thanks for the review. I'm gonna look into this DVD.

Mike
mikecorry.com
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
Thank's for post the review of this one Ron looks like a interesting dvd.