The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Stand Up Balloon Pump (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
I originally posted this under the Clowning section of "The Let's Make A Deal" section. But apperently no one looks there? Only 10 views in 5 days.

Anyone have an unwanted T. Myer's Pump 1 or the pump that has the foot shaped base on the bottom.

Looking for one for my son. Was hoping for Easter.

Thanks!
DeWayne
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
You might try posting your query on: http://balloonhq.com/twistmail/
And, don't forget to check Ebay.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Are you familiar with a company (now out of business) called "Balloon Buddies"? They used to make the best pump! It was/is called the Balloon Master. I used to own a Pump 1 from T. Myers, and didn't like some of the features, so I bought one of the BB pumps. LOVE IT...light enough even for my wife to use! I've been thinking of making something similar. Would you be interested in one?

Steve
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Check this out.
http://www.macpump.net
I just purchased one last week. It's a great pump, very well made and a reasonable price. Raise it about a foot and it will fill a 260 completely.
Good luck!
Scruffy
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
HI Scruffy,

I went to the macpump site, and there is no cost listed on the site. How much are the pumps?

All the best, JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Wonder how long before the poor guy hears from lawyers for the word 'mac' being used.
Steve V
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

He sells them on Ebay for seventy-five bucks. Type Balloon inflator into the search engine. It works great!
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Thanks all! I'm going to give the macpump a shot. Price is right. And it looks almost the same as a Pump 1.

Thanks for the help.

DeWayne
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The only problem that's inherent in this type pump (and the Pump1, too) is that the top handle is the sliding part. When you pick up the pump to move it from one spot to another, you have to basically hold the bottom, or scoot it around. The Balloon Master pump doesn't suffer from that problem. It has an actual handle (hand-carved wood) that allows you to carry it around. It's not part of the sliding mechanism. That's why you have to have a strap to hold the Pump1 style together during transport/carry. The other thing I've never liked about the Pump1 (and YES...I did own one) is that the air intake is on the bottom. That means that whatever is under the pump during intake, is probably gonna get sucked into the pump. If you're working on a dusty mid-way type spot, that dust is going into your pump. That will shorten the life of the pump AND your balloons. The Balloon Master style had the intake at the top of the tube. It's also a much lighter and nicer-looking pump.

Steve (yes...been ballooning for 12 years, and have seen it all!)
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Steve,

I ordered a MACPUMP this morning.

You said Balloon Buddies was out of business. LaRocks has one with the "foot base" that sounds similar. But at $175.00 it was more than I wanted to spend. That's why I was hoping to pick one up used or unwanted.

http://www.larocksmagic.com/balloon/balloons.htm

Scruffy's recomendation hit the right price point and I think it'll ship pretty quick. I'm familiar with the design. I personally have used a T. Myers Pump 1 for 15 years. I agree with your evaluation of this design. But I've lived with it this long and I'm sure my son will survive with it as well.

Thanks again!
DeWayne
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Steve,

I ordered a MACPUMP this morning.

You said Balloon Buddies was out of business. LaRocks has one with the "foot base" that sounds similar. But at $175.00 it was more than I wanted to spend. That's why I was hoping to pick one up used or unwanted.

Scruffy's recomendation hit the right price point and I think it'll ship pretty quick. I'm familiar with the design. I personally have used a T. Myers Pump 1 for 15 years. I agree with your evaluation of this design. But I've lived with it this long and I'm sure my son will survive with it as well.

Thanks again!
DeWayne
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I'm going to re-make the Balloon Master style, if there's enough interest in the best floor pump that's ever been made.

How much did you pay for your Pump1? Was it more than $175?

Steve
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
It was a long time ago...but I seem to remember $150 price tag. They are $195 now.

http://www.tmyers.com/pump/pump1.html
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
No fair...you're shortchanging your son. Sure...give him the cheap one, and you get the good one! No fair! I'm telling!

Steve
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Ahhhh! Then your going to love this part. I'm not giving it to him, he's paying for it himself! Trying to teach him he won't need to work at McDonald's.

We got him a basketball hoop for easter.

-DeWayne
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Excellent idea. May do that with my son...he wants a set of Johnson Cups. Guess my Phoenix Cups aren't good enough (actually too big for his 11-year-old hands. Somebody has GOT to be interested in one of these pumps if I make it, right?

Steve
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
If you build it, they will come!
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Dewayne,
Just wondering if you got your macpump yet?
I used my Saturday for the first time. I am pleased as punch with mine. What I didn't mention was I purchased his used one, It performed without fail. However, I agree. It's pretty plain looking. I dressed mine up with some Krylon Fusion paint.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Yep, we got it straight from MACPUMP. http://www.macpump.net He is fast and friendly. I am suprised by the quality of this pump for money. It seems to be "bullet proof" as far as construction. I love that there is no "O" ring. I don't recognize what he uses there, but it is perfect. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

The only two things I was not fond of is...

#1 The wood (base & handle) comes natural. Just bare plywood. Painting the base is no trouble. Painting the handle, which does not come off is a bit more challenging. But at this price I should not complain. Most folks probably want a custom paint job any way.

#2 The carry strap is just weird in my opinion. It is screwed directly to the base. So it never comes off the base. (You can see it on his site) I guess it just sits balled up at your feet? Makes no sense too me, but I can't figure out what else you would do. If you took it off everytime, the screw hole would strip out pretty fast. I immediately drilled a 2" hole in the base were the screw hole was. I pop rivited a loop at the end of the strap, that was screwed to the base. Now I can loop the strap through that hole in the base and attach the other end at the top as normal. Seems so much better to me.

That said... Again, I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Thanks!
DeWayne
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
There is one for sale in this moment in a popular auction site for 75.00dlls search in ballon pump.