The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Balloon twister's pouch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've been asked several times about constructing a ballooning pouch to hold a day's worth of ballooons in a pouch that could be carried over the shoulder.

I've got a basic design with the help of a prof. twister. does anyone have any input on necessary features for something like this?

so far, it's got a large section that is accessible via zippered sides.
There are many smaller pockets on the outside of the pouch.

Ideas?
Thanks,
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Frank,

Since the balloons are made of latex and can deteriorate rather quickly, leading to more popping, will you be making the bags out of leather? If so, what effect does leather have on the latex material?

If you will be using leather, do you think a vent hole to allow a little air, or heat that might build up inside the pockets, to escape would be good to include? Anything to try and keep the balloons from getting really warm on a good, hot summer day. On second thought, this might not be necessary since the pockets would be opened often during the day.

Also, should the pockets be lined with a soft material, like cotton or something, to avoid the possibility of damaging the balloons while crammed into the pocket?

Just some thoughts...good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
pgh-mike
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of pgh-mike
I use a cooler bag that was made for golfers. Since it's a cooler the heat isn't a problem, and it has a large center compartment with front and side pockets. But your idea might be a good replacement. Let me know how it's going.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I'm not sure exactly about the materials but leather was the basic idea for durability. Plus some lining like satin or whatever. I'm not sure waht would be best for balloons.

The design I saw had a lot of velcro straps to organize different colored balloons.

And I mean a LOT of velcro.

Thanks for the input.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Frank,

You probably saw the ones being made by Twist-Em-Up. I have an over-the-shoulder kinda bag from them for ballooning. It utilizes the "balloon strips" that hold the balloons divided into colors by little velcro strips. It's pretty handy, but for restaurant work, I use a balloon apron that was the last one made by "Balloon Buddies", the same people who made my "Balloon Master" pump (also the last one they made)...lots of individual pockets for colors, and a side bag to hold the extra stuff. My wife uses a bag I got at Home Depot when ballooning, along with a 5-pocket apron from T. Myers. Unfortunately, the apron is basically black, which, as you know if you work with balloons, is HORRIBLE for the heat here in the South.

I'm interested to see what Frank comes up with.

Steve
mtso2000
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of mtso2000
I have one made out of cloth that fits around the belt of the pants. I was thinking woulf leather be to heavy.
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
I just hang balloons down the front waistband of my pants. It works great but it does make the 260s taste a little funny!

I actually use a nail apron from Home Depot.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Thanks again for the input. the one I saw was a home-made job but it had some nice ideas but too big for restaurant work. more later...
pdmedic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of pdmedic
What about being able to incorporate a cooling pack into a bag for use in warm environments?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

That is very do-able the way I'm thinking about it. Good idea too.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Cooling pack would work almost everywhere EXCEPT here in the South, where the humidity is like 80% in the summer. You'd just end up with a bag full of condensed water, which would be great if you're a survivalist and need something to drink while ballooning.

Steve
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Quote:
On 2006-03-05 15:16, Stevethomas wrote:
You probably saw the ones being made by Twist-Em-Up. I have an over-the-shoulder kinda bag from them for ballooning. It utilizes the "balloon strips" that hold the balloons divided into colors by little velcro strips.

I agree, I would not concider buying a balloon pouch without something simmilar to the strip feature. It would be nice if it was like the Buskers' Bag where the strips are rolled up inside in stead of out in the open like an apron.

Gideon
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
I highly recommend the ones made by Twist-Em-Up. I have had mine for almost a year and it has held up very well. You can get all sorts of add ons and the velcro strips are very easy to work with and don't do any harm to the balloons.

I can only imagine that the time and money you put into this would be very high.
Disclaimer; I do work for the same company that the woman that runs Twist-em-up used to work for. But I am not paid to promote her products. We are at five to six restaurants a week plus all of the parties we do on the weekends. All of us use the Twist-em-up bags and they really are great.
magicjody
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of magicjody
I will be in the texas heat 3 days a week for like four hours at a time. noting I wear or put the balloons in are cool.