The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ballooning 101 :: Balloon chop! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
I saw a trick where a child chops an animal balloon in half. I've tried this but my balloons seem too thick for me to snap them with my fingers. Any idea where I can get thinner (more easily snapped) animal balloons?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Like mouth inflation, this is just something that comes with handling and time. You'll just get the feel for it, depending upon which brand of balloons you use.

Steve
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Hmm... I tried everything and it didn't seem to work. My balloons are fairly opaque and probably thicker so the kids don't pop them.

Anyone know what the thinnest animal balloon is?
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Your balloons are not any different its a knack work at it and you will get it

4 or 5 good twists and it is a sharp fast movment

I assume you are using Qualatex

you could try cheap balloons @ the party store or wallmart I know thay are worthless for twisting
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Actually... there were no twists at all in the break. He just "pinched" the balloon and tore it apart. I could barely break it with my teeth after getting frustrated! GRRR!! (BITE!)
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Maybe I didn't explain it right. I saw this in a DVD I bought. The magician get a volunteer to come up, they do a few "karate" chops in the air. Then the magician holds out an inflated animal balloon. The child chops and the balloon is snapped in two.

The magician just "pinches the balloon in the middle... no twists and then "snaps" it in half when the child chops.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Yes you can rip a balloon in half using your fingers, what exactly do you want to know?
Steve V
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
As said above, it's not thin balloons you need but the right technique. Squeeze the balloon in each hand between the thumb and second finger, leave about an inch between each pinch, you can then use your nail on your first finger to pop the balloon in between the pinches. Pulling the balloon apart at the same time as pushing your finger in usually makes it easier to pop.

George
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Ahh... maybe I can't do it because I don't have any nails! Doh!
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
John,

If you wish, you can use your nails as described by George. Or..................

you can do what I've done for all these years. Grab the balloon where you wish to break it. Your thumbs and forefingers of each hand should be touching one another. Tightly pinch the balloon at that point. Then, at the same moment, snap your left hand back and your right hand forward.(If you are left handed, then just reverse the aforementioned positions.) With practice, you will be able to do this imperceptibly.

Best,

Carl