The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: New grounds in juggling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
I don't know if many people have seen this before but I've been looking on the IJDB. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen somebody do a pattern where they can continuously bounce clubs off the ground. I've bounced clubs once or twice but not continuously.

I've also wondered if anyone has seen somebody catch a club with there leg into the kickup position without it hitting the ground. I've done it once and I was utterly perplexed . Of course I have yet to reproduce the effect.

THen I've started to incorporate club swinging with three clubs. So I've been trying to throw one club really high so that I can do a quick chase and go back into a cascade when the third club falls.

Does anyone else have any neat ideas that aren't so common for possible tricks with clubs.

Of course if somebody knows where I can find videos of this stuff please let me know. I'm dying to study these and other moves more in depth so in due time I can be able to do them.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi

Although I can only claim an attempt at juggling ..and that how far I've got! There is one resource you may consider, there's a shop in NYC called Dubay or Dubai's..yikes I remember the name just not the spelling of it. I had contacted the owner via email and they promptly sent me a beautiful cataloque. Perhaps this store can assist you?

You may also want to send a pm to Café member Jewls as she is very active in juggling and would certainly know the answer. If I see her first or find my catalogue I will post the answer.

Hope that helps.
Smile
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
Joculari,
the Compendium of Club Juggling by Charlie Dancey is a wondeful book full of ideas and tricks to do with clubs.
Also be sure to look at Peapot Video:

http://www.peapot.net/tocmenu/communicator/index.html

as they are incredibly talented jugglers with an extremely original and innovative style.

P.S. Chrystal, could that be Dubé?
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Very cool!

I'm going to be borrowing the last 2 IJA competitions from a friend so hopefully Ill be getting stuff from that. Today I tried doing pirouettes and hurt my head badly Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Allessandro,

Gracias!! You're right the name is Dube'.Thanks!

Joculari- Again if I happen to see Jewls I shall ask her as I believe she's been involved in juggling competitions as both a competitor and as a judge in several of these events if I remember correctly. (However, I seem to lack a good memory..ha ha) Smile
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Brian Dubé, Inc. is juggling's version of Supreme Magic Co. The finest made and classiest equipment available.

I was in their store several weeks ago, and spent up large...

As for the club questions... The Flying Dutchmen duo bounce-passed clubs during their routine, and I have heard of jugglers managing simple cascades bouncing three clubs. Might *not* want to practice it with nice shiny brand new clubs though <wink>...

Drop-kick-ups with clubs are fun to do. The club is dropped down your side and caught in the crook of your knee, and then flipped up into the pattern. I can do this fairly consistently, and with every throw. I haven't tried drop-kick-ups into the standard 'kick-up' position, but I've seen it done. I think catching them in the crook of your knee looks far more graceful.

As with magic, the best ways are learning are from other practitioners... But as far as videos go… With the type of club juggling you’re leaning towards, might I suggest ‘Radical Club News Volumes 1 and 2?’ The two videos feature new, weird off-the-wall and on-the-wall club juggling tricks. Dubé stock them for about $25.

Good luck!
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
AWESOME!

Thanks very much for the info!
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I also recommend the Compendium. If you are interested in club swinging while juggling, you should check out the trick Mike's mess which is in the compendium. Also in the Compendium is a section on bouncing clubs and incorporating it in juggling and passing patterns.
Hope this helps
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Supreme magic-the finest made and classiest equipment available? It was all screen printed cardboard!
Anyway Dube are good so you're right in that respect.

There's a great trick called mikes mess that combines club swinging and juggling. Apparently invented by one of the Gandini juggling project called mike (although this may be wrong). Its kind of mills mess with clubs combined with cross and follow. Very cool!
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Hi Chrystal,
Here I am!!! Wow yes, yes and yes great information here guys! What a great site this is!!!
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Iunno, I have a set of Dube knives they're very nice and they look razor sharp but just because they have the name they overprice alot of ordinary material. Like lacrosse balls and simple stuff. Usually the name dube adds another 10$ to something you could get at renegade or higgins.
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
Although Dube may cost a litte more, they definitely have high standards for their props. Even still, you can't go wrong with Renegades, TS, or Henry's.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Jewls Smile

Yes gotta love the Café for it's wonderful resources and always someone to offer assistance! Smile
flowJuggler
View Profile
New user
East Coast USA
71 Posts

Profile of flowJuggler
Continous kick-ups are nicely executed by Anthony Gatto's video "To Be The Best". Check it out.

-P
Ãœber goodest signature ever.
VarietyArtsBlog.com