The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Got Talent? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Hi Jugglers,

I recall seeing a video segment of a juggler on America’s Got Talent (not 2011) who dropped and was buzzed by Piers. This particular juggler was one of the best in the world and he challenged Piers, who agreed to let him go through…

…does anyone know who I am trying to remember?

Thanks!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I hate to see jugglers on AGT for one reason. They're appreciated even LESS than magicians! Just b/c someone drops something on occassion doesn't mean they don't have talent...but according to Pierce, on drop and you're a hack!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Found the answer - it was Ivan Pecel from 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrvjtc3i......B850CECF
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
...and in that same season, Kenny The Juggler was given three X's, only to challenge the judges.

Piers acquiesced, issued a challenge and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69NJ-MECU0&feature=related
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
A friend of mine worked with a circus for two years doing a solo club juggling routine and he was told if he dropped more than twice in a show to just pick up his stuff and leave the ring......

This was a long time ago, he now works with Cirque de Soleil. I'll have to find out what their policy is.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-08-04 10:08, jugglestruck wrote:
A friend of mine worked with a circus for two years doing a solo club juggling routine and he was told if he dropped more than twice in a show to just pick up his stuff and leave the ring......

This was a long time ago, he now works with Cirque de Soleil. I'll have to find out what their policy is.

Dropping a prop during a Cirque du Soleil show might wake up a few of the dozing audience members.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Wow, do you really not rate them?
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Incredible production values; magnificent talent; absolutely dreadful story-telling.

Without an engaging story, it is all empty spectacle…I have never felt emotionally engaged by a Cirque du Soleil performance. I have never been moved to feel or think.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I have been moved but only by spectacle. Not engagement. I agree. Artsy fartsy trumps storytelling in a Cirque show. I'd go watch any of their shows once due to the reasons panlives gives. Talent and production. I have to overlook the rest.
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
I must admit, I've only seen them twice but had never even thought of analysing what it is I liked about them. I just remember coming away thinking "that was great".
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Can you imagine how much further it would move you if they engaged the audience? Spectacle can only carry you so far. I have learned this big time while busking. Spectacle is like the flashy fishing lure. BUT after you hook them it is pure engagement to reel them in all the way. I never "get" their story line. I know I'm not the only one.

I know of another amazing juggler that got the shaft on AGT a few years back when they were juggler haters. IJA World Juggling Champion Matt Henry. He has a very clever and engaging routine with a video projection screen. At one point he drops on purpose. Pierce x'ed him and said something dumb like "I don't even know what that was about." He was engaging and not just making spectacle. It's a fine routine. AGT has very little to engage me with.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Jugglers never seem to get good reception on AGT... the juggler who did the act of playing the piano with his juggling balls a few days ago was extremely talented, but got very little praise. I thought that was a great act, I didn't agree with the judges (besides Piers, who liked it) at all, they obviously don't appreciate the kind of rhythm and coordination that takes.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 11:39, charliecheckers wrote:
Jugglers never seem to get good reception on AGT... the juggler who did the act of playing the piano with his juggling balls a few days ago was extremely talented, but got very little praise. I thought that was a great act, I didn't agree with the judges (besides Piers, who liked it) at all, they obviously don't appreciate the kind of rhythm and coordination that takes.

I do agree that the routine was undervalued (except by Piers Morgan).

However, this particular juggler committed AGT suicide by stating that the only judge he truly respects is Piers.

Not the most diplomatic way to attract the sympathy vote!
preston eakins
View Profile
Regular user
battle creek, michigan
184 Posts

Profile of preston eakins
Ok my 2 cents on agt and jugglers. I hate the way piers hits the x on one drop. it is totally unfair
last year there were 2 kids that were great dancers and they got real far. on one of the final performances they started walking down a set of stairs the girl fell.no one buzzed sorry but if a juggler can't drop a dancer shouldn't be able to fall.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-08-11 04:28, preston eakins wrote:
Ok my 2 cents on agt and jugglers. I hate the way piers hits the x on one drop. it is totally unfair
last year there were 2 kids that were great dancers and they got real far. on one of the final performances they started walking down a set of stairs the girl fell.no one buzzed sorry but if a juggler can't drop a dancer shouldn't be able to fall.

Wow...I love your analogy.

I never thought about how AGT judges assess juggling relative to dance.

Almost everyone drops in high-level competitive juggling.

Why should one drop invalidate an entire AGT routine?
preston eakins
View Profile
Regular user
battle creek, michigan
184 Posts

Profile of preston eakins
Honestly now that I think of it it wasn't strong enough!! if a juggler can't drop a dancer shouldn't even be allowed to trip, let alone fall lol
but thanks it is nice to be validated
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Can I suggest you all read a book by Ben Elton called Chart Throb?
This is a very funny expose novel of The X factor, the singing show, and I'm sure everything in it applies to AGT.
It demonstrates just what the whole point of shows like this are.
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
On a different website's thread, the piano juggler was discussed, he was not well liked becuase the whole act was not his.
Not only was it borrowed/Stolen/etc, the originator of the act Dan Menendez has opened for Howie Mandel numerous times.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 00:42, just_larry wrote:
On a different website's thread, the piano juggler was discussed, he was not well liked becuase the whole act was not his.
Not only was it borrowed/Stolen/etc, the originator of the act Dan Menendez has opened for Howie Mandel numerous times.

I am not sure that originality or insinuations otherwise made this routine unpopular with one judge in particular.