The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Kinetic Manipulation or contact juggling?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hello all

I read about this in Mr.Reeds Notes he sent out with the Coin Patriot. Anyone out there who does this and has more info on what you actually do.

Thanks a lot.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but you can check out this website for more information on Contact Juggling... http://www.contactjuggling.org/
:clownjuggling:
Also to see a great little contact juggling routine by a magician buy "Any Questions - Garrett Thomas". He has a little routine at the start of the video! And his routine Big Coin Little Purse is great! Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Thanks, sorry about posting this in the wrong forum. I did not know what it was until i did a search on it and found out a bunch of stuff. Really cool thing to watch.

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
I've been CJ'ing for 5 years now, and I started combining it with sleight-of-hand about 3 years ago (e.g. productions, multiplications, changes, etc.).

Audiences absolutely love it. It looks like REAL MAGIC. I highly reccommend it to the intrepid manipulators here at the Café.

For a great introduction to CJ'ing, check out the book "Contact Juggling" by Mike Ernst.
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
While the technical issue of contact juggling on a magic forum may be a gray area...it is in fact a most magical thing to watch! Check out the work of MacArthur Award winner Michael Moschen and see what I mean. I have been doing this in my shows and blending it with effects done with the ball.
Example: the acrylic balls are perfect for a soap bubble "catch" type effect..the "bubble" contact juggled, then vanishes and multiplications done provided you are very careful about the size of balls ratio to your hands.
A great resource for videos and all on this and other related artforms is a website called: home of poi.com
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27305 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
yes, when Michael had his show on broadway the first time, then a PBS special... it was his alone.

Check out the movie "Labrynth".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
I just saw Michael Moschen live this afternoon here in St. Louis. He is not doing anything with the acrylic balls in his current show. He actually did a lot of traditional juggling which was surprising. If you've seen the PBS special, he is doing most of the routines from there and a lot of new material. Great show, but disappointing not to see what he is really known for.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I WAS AT THE SHOW IN ST. LOUIS at 1:30 and 3:30!!!!!

lol.... such a small world.

He did a great set, the 2 metal rod's were just amazing!!!!!
Steve Pellegrino
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Steve Pellegrino
I was at the 3:30 show. Yes, the metal rods were incredible - at times it looked like they were floating.

We were sitting off to the side, so we missed most of what he was doing inside the giant triangle.

The question and answer segment after the show was interesting. He did do some ball manipulation with a white ball as he was talking to the audience - and that was great.
altoni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of altoni
I have several friends that combine contact juggling with sleight of hand/manipulations and it looks quite magical!

Al
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
I do it as the opener to my show. I have some fun work with this stuff. It takes practice but the reward is so great. It is not magical remotely, but boy does it look like it is. Smile
cheers
Reed
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

K-Max
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
49 Posts

Profile of K-Max
I've used it pretty effectively with a zombie routine in the past. Once the audience becomes accustomed to seeing you manipulate the ball over and around your body they are willing to suspend their disbelief a little when they see it begin to float. In their minds you just apparently know how to do that. It's great, and I agree that it is some of the most magical stuff that there is to watch.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread and thanks to every one who answered, If you hadn't, I might not have discovered all this info about this kind of juggling (to be honest, I didn't even know the name of it before) & even though I am terrible at it now, I won't be forever Smile Smile

Happy Holidays all.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2003-12-19 17:12, bigchuck wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread and thanks to every one who answered, If you hadn't, I might not have discovered all this info about this kind of juggling (to be honest, I didn't even know the name of it before) & even though I am terrible at it now, I won't be forever

Happy Holidays all.

Everybody forgets that Michael Jordan was a terrible basketball player for the first three years of his life. Take your time...it'll come.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Man they start young these days...

I think *anyone* would be bad at basketball at 3 years old!