The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Juggling club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
A few weeks ago I tried out the juggling club near me. Really did not like it (mostly the people were rude and unhelpful to me the new guy) I really like the idea of a juggling club so I am thinking of starting my own. Does anyone have a few ideas or tips to get started smothly?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
No one has ever told me that before. Just what club did you go to? There is a right way, and a wrong way to seek help at a juggling club. I hope the problem was you taking the wrong approach and not just a bunch of rude jugglers.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Yeah, I bet there is one guy at least who might be nice to you, then slowly brought in to the fold. Maybe bring a six pack next time, free beer=friends
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
512 Posts

Profile of jcigam
Funny...I have been to juggling clubs where I thought the people were a little...standoffish and I can see how someone might interpret that as rude. Much like a magic club(clubs in general), you have clubs or clicks within the club.

In regards to clubs in general... You have to work your way into them, show them you are willing to learn, give back when you can, and realize these people (some of them) have dedicated a large portion of their lives to whatever it is the club is organized for (in this case juggling) and they don't always want to just “give away” the inner secrets of it, just because there is a new member.

Just like Kcg5 said, you make one friend, his friends become your friends, and pretty soon you have your own click who can snub the next new guy. Or you can learn from your experience and be the guy who befriends the new guy.

Sorry, I can't really answer your original question. However, if you want to really alienate yourself from your peers...that's probably a good way to do it.

Good luck,

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
Troy_Roark
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Troy_Roark
What a bummer! I've been involved in three juggling clubs over the years, and I've loved (and missed) them all.

I'd give it another chance. Jugglers are weird people, but not regularly mean. They are probably a pretty tight group.

I say go again, and tell us how it goes.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Walk up to an average juggler, shake his hand, tell him how you have been admireing his skill, and ask him for a few minutes of his time to give you a few pointers. This is how I became a proficent juggler.

Yes there are jerks at every jugglers club, but there are some nice people at every jugglers meeting too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
This was years ago but the Juggling Club at UNH, up in Durham, NH was outstanding to me. I had learned the basics from my dad already so I was not starting from step one but I was no expert either. The guys and girls at that club were very helpful to me. They taught me Mills Mess, four balls, passing clubs and lots of 3 ball tricks. I never did get 5 balls, sign... and I never could ride that unicycle either... but I came a long way and ended up being the VP during my last year at UNH. "Live Free or Juggle!" Those were the days. Good times, good times.

My advise is to stick with your club for a while longer. If you think the members are not friendly enough then you show them how they should be by being nice and helpful to any other newcomers that show up next month. Good luck.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I have had to work the last few weekends I think I'm going to try again this week
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I have had to work the last few weekends I think I'm going to try again this week