The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Sticks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
hogster
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of hogster
I've been using devil sticks for some time now, but have run out of ideas and need some inspiration. I was wondering if anyone knows of any newish material/routines using devil sticks
philipi56
View Profile
Regular user
grand rapids, MI
142 Posts

Profile of philipi56
I would check out Dube.com for some new books or videos.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Wow, how can we answer this without knowing what you do now?

My advice is to put on some music and work to the same song till what you do fits the music, then change the music completely.
Say 2 weeks or so to jazz, then switch to Guns and Roses, for 2 weeks or so then Bethoven...

This will change the tempo and rythm you are working with so you can work out new tricks on your own.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
I'm new to the devil stick and wonder which brand you all would recommend for a standard devil stick (not a Flower stick).
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Dube
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
I couldn't get my hands on a Dube, so I purchased an Absolute stick. But thanks for the advice, Pokie-Poke.
Should the stick be perfectly balanced, by the way? One "end" of mine seems to be roughly 11 grams heavier.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Pull the center tape off, cover up the marking, otherwise ignore the center marking, mark the center yourself and viola it is balanced.
I don't know anything about an absolute stick, Dube sells on the web, Shipping to the Netherlands however?
As long as you have a good set of hand sticks you'll be ok. I have been known to use tennis rackets for a center stick, so the center stick matters little. As long as it is straight you'll be ok.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
I personally prefer Crystal Stix for my juggle sticks. The reason I like Crystal is that I'm able to do a lot of 1 handed stuff. I'll actually walk around and through the crowd shaking peoples hands and talking with them all the while I keep the stick in the air with one hand.
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
Thanks for the advice!

I've only been practicing for a few days, but the basic "idle" is getting fairly smooth. I'm really looking forward to getting into real tricks!

Once you can do a decent "tic-toc" with two sticks, what would you guys recommend learning next? I've tried the "propeller" and one-handed idle, but at this early stage both are pretty "dangerous" (at least for my wife, pets and furniture).
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I am also pretty new with the sticks. I am looking for some help with videos that you might recommend?
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
I do sticks in my show at REn-Faire's, and I found out that the simplest things are what get the crowds the best. One thing that I do is toss the stick in the air and have the crowd count how many revolutions I get. I start with one, then two... and so on... It gets REALLY difficult once you hit 6 or 7. I've had a tough time making it to 10, but when you hit 10, the crowd goes nuts.

So my suggestion is to work on that. For some reason the kids don't seem nearly as impressed with the other stuff.

Jeff Hirsch aka Clod Appleleft
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I can't get enough of my Devil Sticks. Like many of you, I can work on those things until I break a marathon sweat! Of course, I've also hit and knocked over just about everything in my living room. I'm not that bad, or should I say dangerous, with them. Smile

Always looking forward to your posts,

Randy Stewart
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
My fav. FLAT SPINS with my fire devil sticks!!! I get the stick going so fast and flat that after a good show Squishy (my fathful side kick) Smile will say "well?" and I will hold out my hands and show the burnt hair on the back of them.

Stals are cool. As most don't do them.

And yes, kids don't care how hard a trick is, just how high you can throw it! Smile
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...