The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Question about handcuff escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
LingoCatcher
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of LingoCatcher
Handcuffs are one area in which two of my interests align: security and magic. Modern handcuffs are notoriously easy to pick or shim. However, all of the resources I have seen that teach handcuff escape focus on improper handcuffing. Proper handcuffing positions hands behind the back, palms apart, and the keyhole facing away from the hands. In that position, I haven't been able to figure out a way to unlock, pick, or shim the cuffs. Are there any techniques?
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Not something someone will tell you on an open forum, if at all.
I would suggest starting with hands in front, keyholes away. Once you have mastered that, try it with palms out. Then do it all with eyes closed or blindfolded.Eventually work to behind the back in the same progression. This will likely take some creative modification of your tools.

Randy
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi Lingo...

Who are you? do you have a web site where we can see some of your work? I could answer your question, at least from my own experiences, but like Randy said, I wont share this kind of stuff on an open forum. This is material that could well be used in evasion of law enforcement, and I'll have no part of that.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LingoCatcher
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of LingoCatcher
Hi Cliff,

I'm not a performer, aside from an occasional bar trick. I'm just a hobbyist, and my interest is primarily academic. (And, my main interest in magic is more along the lines of impromptu and card magic, rather than escape.)

But handcuffs cover a couple of my interests--magic and security. I work in the security field (although not really in a physical security, handcuff-carrying way), I'm a locksport enthusiast, etc.

I'm not looking for anybody to share techniques so much as I'm just curious if there *are* techniques for escaping properly used cuffs, or if practitioners tend to rely on gaming the handcuffing technique. Opening improperly applied handcuffs is trivial, but it seems nearly impossible to do so if they're used correctly.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
OK,

Yes there are techniques. I have done it myself and seen it done. I will admit, Joe A. Felon, is highly unlikely to know them, nor is he likely to have any specialized equipment.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
james_unlimited
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
223 Posts

Profile of james_unlimited
From an escape and evasion perspective. There are many ways to liberate yourself.

One of the most challenging are Hiatt speed cuffs with the keyhole facing away from your hands.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I had (well still have) a David Deval tool that I have used on numerous occasions to escape from the positions you describe. Not in performance of course - as it would have been dull as dishwater to watch as a spectator.

Sounds like you are interested in escapology rather than the theatre of escape artistry. The two are different in my opinion.

David