The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Rest in Peace Steve Baker (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
A toast to my Friend and mentor Mr. Escape Steve Baker who passed away peacefully at home yesterday.

For the last few years, I have sorely missed the man he was. Like many EA's, I suppose, he did not leave this plane in a way that befits the man he was.

Rest in Peace my friend, and Godspeed.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
So sad to hear. Steve and I were friends that never seemed to find time to get together. He custom built several items for me. To say we lost touch over the past several years is an understatement. Our once a year exchange of Holliday cards was about it. Thank you for the post and link. Rest In Peace Steve my friend.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Just got back to this very sad news, another great escapist but above all entertainer to the masses has passed. In contact with Steve on a daily basis when I entered his belt competition he sure knew the business and how to promote, his attitude was straight down the middle which ruffled a few feathers with other eas but deep down he was a man full of passion and knowledge of the art.

He was a doer rather than so many of the sayers and didn't suffer fools easily. As a supporter and Chn member who was always on hand for advise he was well respected within the ranks.

It was such an honour to win his world wide escape competition and the extra bumf he sent me on top of the belt will always be treasured. His contacts which he freely passed onto me have given me a huge amount of work over the years and enhanced my career beyond measure,

Steve was a bit like Marmite but knew his job, a huge hole will be left by his passing.

For me I have lost a friend and confident, to all his family and friends I wish you well and RIP Steve.

Ken. (The Sparrow) A private joke.

Due to circumstances we had lost contact over the past couple of years but he was always in the back of our heads when we performed his belt routine,
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
So sad to read this today. I have been trying to get in touch with him for a couple of years now since he dropped off the grid. Really sad to hear this. He was the one who directed me to here and other friends when I first got my show going. He always had time to help me with ideas. He will be sorely missed. RIP Steve.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I seldom post any more but this week is my final week using Steve's Belt so thought it fitting to comment here.
He was an artist superior to many in our trade and as a novice gave me so much help over many years. My meetings with him over in the US were recorded and often played to renew my enthusiasm, he pathed my way for a decent living from this biz.
I have now decided to cut loose but will continue as an Equity member and do the odd select escape. Those of you who know me and of the disgusting behind the scenes happenings here in the UK by certain pretend pro escapologists which were the reason I dropped out of the brotherhood scene some time ago, will understand why I post here now.

So in conclusion, those who castigated Steve back then and gave critique to the belt, may I state all these years later that time proves the fact from fiction. The belt alone has given me many thousands of pounds in its presentation, its not shown too many signs of wear and proved to do so much more than I could believe possible.

God bless Steve and thanks for all. Sparrow (Private joke).