The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Practicing lock picking. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Hi all,

I was just wondering what set up you guys had for practice lock picking?

How many people have clear cased or cut away locks – do they really help or not?

Do you have a lock in a stand to simulate a Yale type door lock in position?

Does anyone have locks with a smaller number of pins in it to practice raking etc?

I am thinking about getting a range of locks with 2, 3, 4 and 5 pins in them to use for practice. Or do you think that this is just not worth doing?
harry knight
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of harry knight
You could get yourself a number of cylinder 'yale' type 5 pin door locks. Once you've got them, then strip them down and remove one pin from the first lock, two from the second lock, three from the third lock. that's about as many as I'd remove. Once your confident that your able to pick these locks and understand the mechanical workings, you could then add spools and mushrooms to make the picking process that much harder.

Also when learning how to pick security pins, I use to find it useful to make a note of where these pins were, this is so you, once picking can feel the difference between the standard pin and security pins.

You could simply place the lock into a vice or drill a hole in a piece of wood and place all the locks into it, in assending order.

p.s You'll need to look/ make a plug follower to disasemble the lock.

Harry
harry knight
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Also you mentioned clear view locks, these do help however I found that by removing the pins as mentioned, you don't really need to see whats going on inside. I only used clear view locks for BS lever locks.

I now tend to only use locks that look secure but can be opened without the need for a turning tool, I won't say by what method I open them but those who have read and used various methods will understand.

Harry
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I got a cutaway lock for my birthday, and a set of picks, I manage to pick the first pins but after this my pick seems to get stucked (because of the tension tool ?) and Ican't pick the rest Smile what am I doing wrong :/ ?
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
This "guy" Smile did use a cutaway lock at one time. What I use now are old padlocks that people give me (usually because the key is no longer available) and old lockset from replacing door hardware. Whenever I replace door hardware, it's with the understanding that I keep the old stuff for practice. I just wish I could get my hands on one of the old jail cell locks from one of these jail renovations we've done!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Here is a thought - is it possible to make a cut away lock from an old lock? If the pins are in place? If I am really carefull and have LOADS of time on my hands??

Dave
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Dave,

Yes it is. that's the best way to learn how a lock works and to watch as you manipulate it. Once you get it, change the order of the pins so that you can try it new. Finally, have someone change the pins for you and do it blindfolded. I have a lock assembly that's just for that purpose. Its a great help with teaching the small muscles of the hand to "lift" the pins rather than poke them.

Clyde
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Clyde did you make your assembly yourslef? how do you make it so that you can change the pins round etc?

An y pointers would be great.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Yes, I make them myself. I ended up with a box full of lock assemblies with keys and I was wondering what to do with them. They are already set up for the pins can be changed by using a simple device called a follower. it is a modified piece of dowel rod that allows you to push the cylinder out without the other pins and springs going crazy. Making the window so you can SEE the pins is the tough part- I'm still working on one that I like. I want it to be able to be closed up too sot hat you can practice in the blind. So the present one is blind but you can change the pins.

Clyde
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Writing about it last evening challenged me to finish the concept so I stayed up and did it! Now you can see the pins move as you pick them. Thanks for providing the motivation!

Clyde
harry knight
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Dave, Take a look at this site:

http://www.locksmith-tools.co.uk/acatalo......cks.html

A bit expensive but it'll be easier for you than making your own.

Harry
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
One trick you can do is to JB weld the lock core in a notch at the top of an upright board. Then remove the retaining cap over the top pins. Then slip out the springs and top pins and replace them with pieces of steel rodstock the same diameter but long enough to stick out the top of the lock. Make sure they are the same length......gravity and the weight of the rod will take the place of the springs and as you pick it the ne top pins are visible as they stick out of the lock....When they are all lined up ...LOCK IS OPEN. I use to use this technique when I first started locksmithing. It can be modified for many types of locks. good luck.
Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
Clear locks are a great way of understanding how locks work as well as allowing you to see what is actually going on when picking a lock. It does allow you to learn to associate what you feel with what you see.

Taking locks apart and seeing the internal workings is of course an excellent way to learn how locks work but also to try and find any weaknesses that allow the lock to be opened - whether picked or bypassed in some other way.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
If there is a market to machine portions of lock cases, please let me know.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
What are the reasons behind this ? As entertainment its not that strong, to use in actual escapes its not that foolproof, for ones own amusement and challenge its fine. Or if you have criminal intent then it could be very worthwhile !!

See yer inside !
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Nah lock picking tget in is TOO slow - there are other ways to get in to a house .... without picking hte lock. Although I bet you can take your time getting in to ANY property if you have a lock smith van parked outside.
But agree with you about the two points you made ....... although lock picking a pad lock can be enteraining - think 1 second lock pick challenege......
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Dave, my book "fundamentals of lock picking" teaches the way to hold a pick, manipulate the pins and describes the best way to learn. You can also get a operational cut away 5 pin cylinder. The cylinder is made in such a way that you can change pins without the need for a follower tool. All you need is the lock picks.

available via the Cannon's.

Ian
lgallion
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of lgallion
Most door locks/deadbolts can be turned into a cutaway with just a little careful filing/dremeling. Purchase an inexpensive deadbolt (or two because you will probably mess up the first try) at your favorite DIY store/mega chain. Kwicksets are easy to pick and pretty cheap, otherwise get a generic brand (Mountain, Brinks, etc.) Once you disassemble the housing you will find the key cylinder and the pins in a rectangular metal housing just above the cylinder. Remove the top cap carefully (springs will jump out) and take out the springs and pins until the filing is done. Use a dremel with a sanding wheel to remove a band of material near the bottom of one side of the rectangle. Go carefully and once you get close switch to a fine file. Eventually the ground down metal wall will be as thin as foil and you can use a exacto to cut it out. Do this carefully and make sure you don't expose too much of the pin column, otherwise the pins and springs will fall out the side. Finally you can use a triangular file to grove a little into cylinder to extend you view down into the cylinder a bit.