The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: The worlds most expensive escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi everyone

I mentioned this escape a while ago, but I had to keep the details to myself. You will see why! I will be describing it as it was described to the public. Those that know, will know!

On Sunday September 3rd at earls Court in London, I attempted 'The worlds most expensive escape', not another record (though it might well be!) but a good tag line. I was approached back in July by a company that wanted to challenge me. They said they made chain, and would like to wrap me up in it, fine by me! I asked what sized chains they made and they said it was usually between 1 - 2 mm wide, small links. I commented that this was quite small for chain and they pointed out that, for jewellery chain, which was what they made, it was perfectly normal! This initial misunderstanding aside I asked if they could make a chain that I couldn't break, they said they could, and I asked if they could make it out of Gold. To my surprise they said, why not!

So, on the day I was presented with a challenge. 60 foot of solid 9ct gold chain (about 10kg total), a large sack of the type used in the secure transportation of their products (which are all very valuable indeed!), some padlocks, and a pair of handcuffs. I was chained, cuffed, padlocked, and locked into the sack. Which sealed shut using a solid metal bar, and two padlocks. I successfully escaped in a time of 4 minutes.

Over the next two days the chain was also used over the top of a straitjacket escape, and as an additional restraint in a rope challenge.

All in all it has picked up a good selection of articles, some national. It was definatly the hit of an otherwise quite formal trade jewellery convention.

By the way. Gold comes in at around £10,000 a kg. Making the chain worth around £100,000, or $185,000. See why I had to keep it to myself, the security implications were enormous!

After the escapes were over, the chain was immediately transported by secure lorry back to their factory to be melted down again. I am getting a lot of pleasure from the knowledge that the gold will now be made into thousands of earrings, bracelets, necklaces and so on. The metal that I escaped from will be worn by people all over the world. And passed down as heirlooms in the future.

I will be posting photos, press clippings ect later.

Cheers

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Pure gold can be bent easily, so how did they manahe to keep it from doing that?

but it sounds really cool. any chance of this on video or at least some pics.

you should have seen if you could have kept a few links, that would have been cool.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi

They used 9ct gold, which is much stronger and more rigid than the 24ct you are thinking about.

Pics are on the way!

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Oh, didn't think about that. ya, sounds cool. cant wait to see the pics.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I have just put up a magazine cutting from the event. There are quite a few more, but it will take me a short while to get all of them.

http://www.thefreakshow.co.uk/images/showdaily.jpg

David

My Website
Add me on facebook
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That is one heck of a solid gold escape!

Good show and good press young man! As usual you rock! Way to go!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Steve Baker - Mr.Escape
Way to go David,Great Escape!!!!

Is that what they mean when they say"GO FOR THE GOLD"?

What next...... FORT KNOX??????

WELL DONE AND GREAT PRESS!!

Keep it up,

Steve
EggMan
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of EggMan
Hi David,
Congratulations on the escape! Not only was the escape extremely successful, but you managed to push the art of escapes to a totally higher level and added much value to it. Congrats once again!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
That's nice David!!!

Love the idea. Amazing where an escape artist gets booked.

Congrats,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Well Done David. Awesome. You should have made an escape "with" the chain. LOL :o)
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Profile of escapologist2001
That's brillant !! Congratulations !!

Robin
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
The chain just looks so cool David, well done.

I cant say anything else but second the thoughts above.

Well done again
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi guys

Thanks for all the support. The pics are on the way, I promise. I am incrediably busy right now!

I just got word that the company recieved an award from the International Jewellery Association, for 'the best overall contribution to the show'. The award givers credited my escapes as the deciding factor. So I am very pleased Smile

David

My Website
Add me on facebook
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
It just keeps getting better and better.

Good stuff.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
I have copied a press release frpm the event. It may be of interest.

Escape Artist puts in a solid gold performance at International Jewellery event

On Sunday September 3rd, at International Jewellery London, Earl’s Court. World Record breaking escape artist David Straitjacket attempted the most expensive escape ever devised. Unsatisfied with simply chaining up the renowned escapologist, Curteis, one of the UK’s foremost jewellery manufacturers had another twist up their sleeves. In the form of a specially manufactured gold chain, valued at around £100,000.

After being securely restrained in the 10kg gold chain, David was also handcuffed, and securely padlocked into a heavy sack. The same type of sack used for transporting valuable and exclusive items, such as the jewellery manufactured by Curteis. With security on hand, and a large crowd of enthusiastic onlookers, David successfully freed himself in just under four minutes.

After the escape, an exhausted David Straitjacket said. “Apart from being one of the most difficult, this has to be one of the most unusual escapes of my career. To escape from 60ft of chain, along with a pair of police handcuffs is a difficult enough feat all by itself. Adding the fact that they then padlocked me into a sack, with barely room to move a muscle, made it an almost impossible challenge. I must admit that there were moments that I thought Curteis might have defeated me!”

“The fact that the chain was so valuable, and created especially for the challenge made it even more special”

Rowena Coombs, Curteis marketing manager said. “We were all very pleased with the way the day went, and amazed that David managed to escape. I don’t think anyone really thought it was possible. He did a great job, not only of escaping, but of drawing a lot of people to our stand”

Rowena’s enthusiasm was well founded. On the back of huge interest generated by the event, Curteis went on to win the IJL’s coveted award for the best overall contribution to the show.

As an IJL veteran, Curteis celebrates its tenth anniversary as proud exhibitors at this prestigious industry event, now in its 50th year. The key to the success of IJL has been its ability to move with the times and reflect the trends in the market and this mirrors Curteis’ own product design strategy.

So what’s next for Manchester’s very own Houdini?

“I have a tour of Korea coming up, shows on a cruise ship, and loads of other exciting challenges. In the New Year I will be producing my own TV special. My team and I are currently looking for funding for some of the most incredible escapes ever devised. We have a television production company on board, and an amazing selection of brand new stunts ready to film. The next stage is to find the right funding.”

-ENDS-

My Website
Add me on facebook
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

I have to get back to London and pick up some special "EA Gold" jewellery.

Let me know when the platinum escape happens.
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Awesome escape concept, and from what I seen a wonderful performance!! Thanks for sharing.

P

(Nice one with Fort Knox Steve, I'll stay away from there though)
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Fort Knox? It is empty. David used all the gold to escape from.

Nice article David. Well Done once again. Can I do an Escape from a Gold Mine? Does that count? :o) Worked in one last year for 6 Months.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Outstanding, Bravo!

Yours,

Paul
Riley
View Profile