The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Does this make me an Escape Artist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hello everyone!

I'm an illusionist just scratching the surface of escapes. I was wondering (more for myself than anything) what constitutes the fact of being an escape artist. I have several different "escape routines" in my arsonal of stage effects such as; the thumbcuffs, hand-cuff escape, packing crate escape, Siberrian chain escape, a straight jacket, and 100 ft. of rope escape... and I hope to add 55 Gallon Drum Escape pretty soon. Does this make me an escape artist to the lay-people? Now realize, I do not perform all of these escapes in my regular show. Items such as the straight jacket, the packing crate escape, and the Drum are generally for PR stunts. I would like to be able to add to my promotional materials that I do escapes; however, I don't want to miss-title myself as something I am not... this may be a crude analogy; however, why would I wear a Purple Heart if I was never wounded in battle, right?

I'm most curious about this because I have been wondering what makes a true escape artist!

Some insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Bryan Gilles
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The way the audience perceives your presentation will determine whether you are a true ea. Not you.This is the true illusion.

Ken
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I agree with Kondini. If you're an entertainer, the other labels don't matter. That must come first.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Agreed with the above statements.

But I believe that you can class yourself as an EA. A true Escape artist does escapes from ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. But many EA's make use of Illusion type escapes. IMHO even the sub trunk is classed as an Escape. So I don't see why you cannot call yourself an EA. If that was the case, then NONE of the members on this site or any can call themselves Magicians as a magician is supposed to be able to do REAL magic, Not tricks and illusions.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Great insight!
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
No Problem Bryan the Escape Artist. :o) (Thought you would like that one.)Hope we were able to answer your question in as "least obscure" a manner as we could.
Wolflock
South Africa
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I always considered myself a magician plain and simple. I was very surprised when I got noted for a couple of escape routines which I added to my magic shows and suddenly I was included as an "escape artist." The lines are very blurred.
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I was thinking of how this "extra" title seems to sound mor eimpressive. I was amazed a while back when a friend told me he was able to book more shows because his business cards said he was a sleight-of-hand-artist, comedy magician, and illusionist. He said people where able to identify with one or all of the titles; although they are the same! I was just thinking if all of my PR Stunt are escapes, I can sell my show a lot easier and paint a clearer image in my clients minds of exactly what I do...

-Bryan Gilles
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
It is true that it seems more impressive with more of a title behind your name. Well I and I believe Most of the guys here will class you as an EA.

Starry - Yes the lines are a bit blurry. It is kind of like the lines between Magic, Mentalism and Pychics (or charlatans as I call them - Sorry If I offend anyone. Bit of a sceptic) But Yes.

Heck who are we to argue when Metamorphosis was performed by Harry Houdini. He was an Escape Artist. Along with all his other escapes.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Great point!

-Bryan Gilles
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
When you can escape from "you know who" tying you up, you will be an escape artist!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

The next time we do a show together, we will have to do a simultaneous jacket escape set to "dueling banjos".
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Now that is a good idea. Would love to see the vid to that one.
Wolflock
South Africa
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21286 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Escape artist, mentalist, cardician, all titles we give ourselvs.

The audience in GENERAL says magician.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I agree with Danny, I do magic, mentalism, bizarre & escapes. It is all seen as magic by the public.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Very true. Ask most layperson who the greatest magician was of all time and they will say Houdini.
Wolflock
South Africa