The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: The Actual Mirror Cuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I just went over and looked at Paul Reardons site and he has a photo of the original Mirror Cuffs when they were housed in the Houdini Hall of Fame. Does anyone know the status of these cuffs? Were they lost in the fire? Were they sold at the auction? I don't recall.
Chiguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago
6 Posts

Profile of Chiguy
David Copperfield is now the owner of the Mirror handcuff.
They were sold before the auction, maybe 2 years before.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
There are also 2 people who have made reproductions of this cuff.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
From what I can understand, the cuffs in the glass cabinet were "wooden???" reproductions.

Ian McColl makes a really nice reproduction, and I have also seen one by Chris Gower of England.
Paul Reardon
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
52 Posts

Profile of Paul Reardon
Hello All,
The single mirror cuff pictured on my page (with photo taken on the wood floor) was created by Chris Gower. I obtained this cuff some years ago from Joe Tanner and I asked Ian if it was his work. He thought it was Chris Gower's and I sent a photo to Chris and he confirmed that he himself had made it. As for the cuffs in the case, Ian sent me that photo. I assumed they were the "real McCoy" (and so did Ian from the note he sent along with the photo) but I suppose the museum may have displayed wood copies, the original being too dear to risk damage/theft.
Best, Paul
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
So, if Copperfield has the original Mirror challenge handcuff.....who has the solid silver replica?
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi I believe David Copperfield has both handcuffs.

Ian McColl
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Can you make replica's of them Ian? If so, Please PM me with the cost.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Wolflock, Yes I still make repro's of the Mirror handcuff and I have Pmed you details.

Ian
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Wolf, I have a set of Ian's Mirror Cuffs, with the Bramah Lock, and to me they are worth their weight in gold. Don't hesitate.
:jump:

Riley

Oh, no. The darn things jumpin' up and down now!!!
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Ian-

Do you know which lock was on the original mirrors? Was it the Bramah lock?

Thanks!

Allan
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
There is a bit of confusion here. Although the mechanism is reported to be Bramah's, that is not definite. I have been in touch with Jeremy Bramah, and he has been searching the company archives for the period 6 years before the Mirror challenge. Houdini claimed that a Birmingham man, Nathaniel Hart spent six years making them, so if they were genuine Bramah locks, he would have had to get the locks from the company.

He found nothing in the records.

Also, the key for the Mirror Cuffs has two sets of cuts, one stepped back below the other. This is not the typical Bramah set-up.

There is a chance that someone unknown (perhaps Nathaniel) could have designed and built a locking mechanism in the "style" of Bramah, but that is not known.

Ian McColl may have more information on this, but I think I am right.

There is one locksmith I know who has had the opportunity to examine the cuffs, and that is Bill Lyles. Not sure how to reach him, but he would have the definitive answer.

One final thought.....The Nathaniel Hart story may have been invented by Houdini. If so, did he "commision" them especially for the stunt? Any ideas?????
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Allen, I cannot really add much to what Mick has said. I agree with Mick's comments fully. The Mirror is reported fitted with a Bramah but Bramah have never made a 'nested" slider mechanism ("nested' a termed coined by Bill Lyles)
Bill wrote an excellent article on the Mirror handcuff and the challenge for Houdini Historical Society. Well worth a read. As to Nathen ever making the cuff, I don't think so. I suspect either Jimmy Collins or the same guy who built Houdini's Milk can in England (forgotten his name) did. One thing for sure, it didn't take someone five years to build the Mirror cuff and I wish I would never hear that statement again. It just is so lame. Great bridges and building don't even take that long.

I believe that Houdini had the cuffs made by someone (fixed sized as bill liyles points out) and how would a challenger know Houdini's size? A set up , I am sure. Both Houdini and the Mirror paper both would win, the only loser would be Nathen? who ever he was.

Ian
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
I had long talks with David DeVal about all this. Mick and Ian are right, and five years (Ha!) means the cuffs were commissioned even before HH came to the UK.
I'm certain HH just used the prestigious Bramah name - just the sort of thing he would do. A great story though, and a next-to-impossible episode for Houdini's "imitators" to follow Smile

Riley
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Thank you so much for the info Mick and Ian! Do you know where I would be able to get a copy of Bill's article you referenced? I would love to read that!

Allan
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
As Ian mentioned, He wrote an article for The Houdini Historical Society. This was in their newsletter "Mystifier" (now sadly no more)

I am looking a the very issue right now! It is Volume 4, Number1, dated First Quarter, 1994. It is in doubt as to whether the Society can supply back issues, but it's worth a shot. Try their website. Just do a search for Houdini Historical Center, and it will be there.

The article is called "The Mirror Handcuff Challenge; Real or Arranged?" by Bill Lyles and Janet Merrill.

If you can't get a copy, PM me and I'll see if I can help

Regards

Mick
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Thanks so much Mick! I will let you know if I can't find a backissue!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Allen, I have a scan of the front page of the article which has a photo of the Mirror with keys and some of the article, pleases give me another email address to sent it to you.

Also, Houdini wrote about others who had a claim to fame for picking difficult locks (refer;handcuff secrets) Hobbs for the Chubb and Sargent for comb locks? Bramah had a challenge for 200 pound which stood for over 50 years before Hobbs picked the lock, I find it very strange that if Houdini did pick the Bramah lock, why didn't he with his ego make a big fuss about it. He didn't because he never picked the lock.

I personally suspect that like Mick said, if Nathan made a lock it was a copy of the bramah. as for the lock being "nested" I have tried to design one myself and fail to see how it would work with two sets of sliders (tumblers) in it. I assume and comments from another might say I am in the ball park on this, that the inner set of sliders was like bramah and the outer set only wards.

I have made only one Mirror reproduction that ressembles the Mirror mechanism more closely. There should be a photo of it at Yossie's handcuff collection website.
( Blacksteel.com )

Ian
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Hmmm. Thanks Ian. I PMed you back. I will be getting a set in the future, I will just have to put it on hold for now. Need to save up for the Cannon's Convention.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
http://www.foxvalleyhistory.org this is their Web Site isn't it ?