The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Got webbing? I do! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Okay guys, last year I ended up with a surplus of nylon webbing. I mean a LOT of extra webbing! The original use was to make a fireman's net to be held by volunteers, to catch me falling from a 10-foot tall apparatus. This happened; the net is gorgeous. But in buying it, I was offered the entire roll for just $15.00!!! How could I refuse? Besides, the amount I needed would have cost that much anyway. Go figure.

It's about 3.7 inches wide (8cm), thick and very strong.... and BRIGHT YELLOW. Along with that I also have a roll of black webbing that is 2.3 inches wide (5cm).

I can not say exactly how many feet of material is on these rolls -- they are simply too big to undo and measure.

So now... does anyone have any ideas of how to use this material in combination with an escape -- or even to create a main effect from it somehow? Something more creative than, say, 100-foot-nylon-webbing-tied-to-a-chair-escape?

Any takers?...
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I do have a few ideas.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Donster, I was hoping for replies that actually added to the topic.

Maybe I should have said: Any SERIOUS takers.

Thanks to the others who have sent ideas by way of private messenger and e-mail!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Chance there are a Lot of Ideas. you can do with the Webbing.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Chance, How about having a spider web type escape, Be cuffed, Chained and roped to the center of the net which is spread out between two posts, then once you have escaped, have some kind of catch wich insnares you in the web and you have to escape again (this time from the web), two shows in one!
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You can do it as a web. a net or a box and have it locked. use the webbing instead of bars. like I said the ideas here are endless.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Well then, it looks like I posted this question in the right place! I'm sitting down, the coffee is here, and I'm prepared to hear about as many of these "endless" ideas as you can possibly manage to write down in your next message.

Many thanks in advance!...
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I will think on this one for you Chance. Is there any specific type of suggestions that you are looking for or just idas in general?

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Wolfie and Everyone-

Thanks for the tips so far! One in particular (which was submitted to me in private) is especially cool. However, ALL of them so far have involved the webbing to be configured into one type of "web" or another. Even having a box-shaped device made from it has the same end result. I guess this is what I had been hoping to avoid really. It's just a little clichè don't you agree?: webbing that becomes a web??

Come on guys, I know we can do better. This is an open forum that everyone can gain from. I am not hoping to keep this a secret to myself, so I wish more people would chime in.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I willthink on it tonight and and bring up some ideas tomorrow Chance.
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You can make a ladder. or a basket out of it. what are you looking to use it for. a escape personal use etc.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
*YAWN* Oh, sorry Wolf, I was just a little sleepy from reading this "endless" guy's messages, where he knows so much but says so little. *STRETCH*

Thanks Wolf, I sincerely look forward to your carefully thought-out ideas, when ever you have the time to add them here.

Donster, here is the quote from my starter message:
"So now... does anyone have any ideas of how to use this material in combination with an escape -- or even to create a main effect from it somehow? Something more creative than, say, 100-foot-nylon-webbing-tied-to-a-chair-escape?"

Does that answer your question about what I am looking to use it for, personal or otherwise? For crying out loud, if you don't have anything helpful to add to this or any other thread, then don't.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
A number of years ago, a dominatrix proposed to me, that I co-produce some movies. I didn't. But she also showed me some of her catalogs, and they were verrrrry interesting.

One thing that appeared in several of them, was a sort-of giant-sized version of the chinese fingercuffs. So you stand on a wooden disc, inside the web tube, and are hoisted in the air. Your weight tightens the tube, and you're stuck.

What else you do, to make it more interesting, is up to your imagination.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Chance. Some ideas I thought of last night.

How about being cuffed and Chained, and placed into a net of this webbing which is tied up and dragged behind a speed boat, you have to escape from all.

Or have a routine where you have a heavy object over a young lady. You have to escape your bonds and connect the net up to catch the heavy object before time runs out and the object falls on young lady.

Anything specific you are wanting to try and achieve?

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
This webbing would make fantastic belts for the "Cocoon" escape I was talking about a couple of months ago, the buckles and such are easy to add after you have measured and cut.

Also: I had an idea many years ago for something I called "The spider's web"...where the EA is tied down tight to a small platform while wearing a strait jacket...the webbing could be used for that as well.

My last idea...Maybe we could use it to tie up the Donster and then forget where we put him ? LOL! oops...sorry...

~Rick~
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
LOL @ Rick.

Don is not going to be too impressed with that one. But Chance may like that idea.

Regards
Wolf
Wolflock
South Africa
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
"...Or have a routine where you have a heavy object over a young lady. You have to escape your bonds and connect the net up to catch the heavy object before time runs out and the object falls on young lady."

Wolfie, that a very cool idea! Now you're using the old noggin!

As for the girl, hmmmm. How about sending me the number of your ex?

Chance says to the girl: "No, really, you can trust me! Wolf and I are not SUCH good friends." Smile
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
ROTFLHAO
:lol:

Chance, I have not laughed so hard in all my life. I will send you the addres of my ex but only if you let me "inspect the net" before the show. Smile

I am glad you like the idea, Chance. Feel free to use it if you want.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
We could also do it on Rick First oops Sorry.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Awwwe, yes...but if you do, Don...promise me that my wife will be tied in with me...ok ? Ok, back to business, has Chance come up with a deff. idea as to what he uses his webbing for ? I'd make a sort of spider web out of it and use it as a feature act, attach the webbing to a square or round frame.. I found that an escape dosen't have to be elaborate to be good, a simple chain tie to it is ok.

Steve Baker is the perfect example of simplicity in an escape...he takes the basics and makes a miracle out of it. Do you see what I mean ?

~Rick~