The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Clowning around :: Clown/Magician In Trouble GAGS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I would like to learn about gags where the cocksure performer fails and becomes deflated. I know there are magic tricks where this occurs but I was wondering about gags. I thought it sounds like something a clown would do so I am hoping maybe you can guide me in the right direction. I was also hoping Larry Clark might chime in...

Specifically here is an idea: the performer comes on stage very cocksure, with a cigar - a display of success! he goes to light the cigar and it explodes in his face, or droops down a la breakaway wand, the over-confident performer is now embarrassed and ashamed, humiliated - all to the amusement of the audience.

Are there any clown gags/resources related to this type of piece? To clarify, this is something I would do as a magician, not as a clown, but I'm just not sure that it's right yet, looking for more ideas...
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
Not to over-simplify, but anything you could do as a magician could go wrong deflating the ego. Don't steal but watch The Great Tomsoni, Kohl & Co. & Carl Ballantine. Remember the humor comes from your reaction to the event. Are you flabbergasted, deflated, stoic??? Sit down and make a list of all of the things you could do as a magician and then ways they could go wrong. Also, the internet is loaded with videos of great performers. Also check out http://clownalley.net/

Here are a few bits I have seen that I can think of at the moment: Remove gloves (only fingers come off/long glove), Professor Cheer's Rope Trick, Pieces of wardrobe fall off, Tip-over table, Breakaway chair...
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
There are thousands of bits that fit the bill on this concept! Smile Smile Smile Smile

One old gambit is often referred to as: "Grown up foiled, kids in-the-know." ......lots of fun in kid shows! Barry Mitchell, David Ginn......loads of material to be found!
His face isn't really this long in-person!
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Iron Butterfly
Depends on the audience as well.

The concept is a staple of performing for children's shows. I have a change bag routine where I can not produce the right scarf. Failing is funny. You are only limited by your imagination.