The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Clowning around :: A Sad Day for Clowns (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
To raise money and celebrate their 25th anniversary, Hospice of Southwest Florida wants to place up to 70 large fiberglass clowns -- painted by artists and sponsored by businesses -- around Sarasota, FL. The concept has ample precedent, from Chicago's cows to Miami Beach's flamingos to Washington D.C.'s donkeys and elephants, and beyond. For hospice directors, clowns unquestionably captured Sarasota's spirit and history, and the city commission easily embraced the plan.

But the dissenting artists say the 6' clown figurines would cheapen a city that bills itself as the "cultural coast." They noted, there are children and adults who harbor coulrophobia -- a serious fear of clowns.

Controversy over the proposed figures swept Sarasota this month, with news of the plan drawing heated reaction from locals, both pro- and anti-clown. Amazed city commissioners fielded complaints from locals professing an ungodly fear of clowns. In an unofficial newspaper survey, more than 69% of the respondents stated that they loathed clowns and the image they project.

An editorial in The Sarasota Herald-Tribune cautioned that "there's a fine line between taste and prejudice, and clown foes are at risk of crossing it." I agree, wholeheartedly...this is prejudice against an artform based on the most positive human tenets...love and laughter.

The commotion struck a raw nerve throughout Sarasota's circus community, and many feel that those who are grumbling about the clowns have snubbed an integral part of the city's past. Though the circus moved its winter home 20 miles south to Venice in the 1960s, John Ringling left an indelible imprint on Sarasota.

A full-time clown and graduate from the now-shuttered Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Clown College said, "Clowning and the circus are vital to the community. We have embraced the community and they have embraced us. It was very hurtful, them saying that clowns put the fear of god in some people. It's disrespectful. I don't think they realize how hurtful it comes out."

Part of the debate boils down to whether clowns -- and clowning -- constitute art. Even Picasso painted clowns. Clowns around the world insist their work is a craft, albeit one with a reputation sullied by the perception that anyone can slather on ghostly greasepaint, don a fright wig and rubber nose and become a clown.

For over 40 years, now, I have listened to and ignored tha taunts and insults of people who refuse or are unable to see the power of love and laughter that motivates even the most novice clown. But, even I must admit that I have never taken a constructive step towards resolving the issue. I've never taken the clown's cause to the electronic or print media. I have never made myself available as an educational lecturer to local business & civic groups. The only thing I have done to bridge this widening gap is to work hard at providing the best clown image and performance I can. I think that we...as a group...should become more proactive in educating people as to WHAT we do and WHY we do it. I am starting today!

I also believe that our clown groups (COAI, WCA, ICA) are seriously delinquent in addressing and confronting this international issue. They should be our collective voice to the world.

What are you planning to do?

Skip :o(
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Now this is interesting. On this forum I've seen folks who believe:
1. Balloon swords are weapons and cause violence.
2. Shows should be altered because kids alergic to peanuts will go into some sort of shock mearly by seeing what appears to be a peanut butter jar.
3. Children need to be empowered! (say that without a lisp, impossible)
4. Never ever not comply to a childs demands as their lil' feelings may be hurt.
etc etc etc.

Now based on this wishy washy wussy view on life shouldn't it stand to reason that if someone has a fear of clowns that clowns should be prohibited from performing where children/adults that have this fear may be? If someone is made uncomfertable with the presence of a clown, just one person, well, they must be made to feel safe and part of the crowd! Correct? Considering the view of so many here then the answer is....no more clowns. So, tough noogies to you you make up wearing, huge shoe floppin', red nosed freaks, you are status non gratis in the US and Canada!

That isn't my view. My nephew, in his teens, tried that "I'm scared of clowns" crap with me and I asked him how, being that he knows it is just an entertainer wearing make up and performing a certain style, is it any scarier than a person doing the same thing in street cloths. He couldn't' answer. I told him to stop crying about it and ignore the clowns but to be afraid of them was a bit of a mental issue he'd have to deal with. He quit being scared of clowns or at least stating it. Oh, last night he dressed like a clown, so I guess he is done being scared. If I was a clown, and I'm not cuz to cover up my cuteness wouldn't do, I'd carry a photo of me w/out make up and if a kid is freaking out show the picture and say "hey, see this is me w/out the make up" and the kid will realize it is just a normal person. If an adult or teen is scared I say beat them senseless with a freakin' horn or something because either they are playing it up or are nuts, really give 'em something to be scared of.
Steve V
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Hey! Next Tuesday, Nov. 9th, on Boston Legal they have an episode involving the fear of clowns! Whooo hooo!
Steve V <---ain't scared of no clown
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
It isn't the fear of clowns that annoys me so much as the gross disrespect and lack of recognition for all clowns give to the community. Coulrophobia is a very real and uncontrollable issue. However, the mass image of the clown as a purposeless buffoon and a social disgrace is controllable and can be changed.

From my perspective, clowns consistently provide greater compassionate services to the community. They are more visible. They are more caring and open to children. Clowns, in my opinion and to quote Bubba Sikes, truely are angels with red noses. And yet, the media, our communities and Hollywood treats them solely as objects of fear, scorn and distrust. We're instantly suspected of being pedophiles, serial killers or just plain socially inept entities. And yet, no one raises a finger to combat this. No interviews. No press releases. No human interest articles. No positive promotion aside from the occasional festival-related photo or video of a clown handing a kid a balloon or facepainting.

I disagree with Mr. Bill that the sole difference between a professional and an amateur is that one works for free and the other is paid. A professional is an established authority in his or her field. A professional is published. A professional stands out above the rest. A professional enhances his or her chosen field with their new & unique adaptations. Isn't it time for the clown to be recognized as a professional artform...rather than a haven for the entertainment challenged? How is this going to happen if we, as a group, don't assert ourselves to the community as caring, skilled, accomplished professionals? Shouldn't the organizations that we support take a leadership role in this?

Think about it.
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Skip, I agree with you on the professional/amateur issue. This is what it should mean. That is why I wrote that long post. But the reality is that a professional makes money as it is his profession...doesn't mean he's good at it. An amateur is what we all are since the love of the art. This is the literal meaning.

The whole sword/violence issue is striclty my opinion. I don't hold ill will to anyone who does twist weapons. I wish I could feel okay with giving a kid a sword. I just find some people are really touchy on this, with some clients barring making swords anyway. It's just like some people having problems with guilotines and swords in magic acts. Being a parent of a violent child has me rethinking things on violence all the time.

Steve's right in suggesting that we often overact in regards to a lot of things. You can see this by watching the news every night.
I have been known to overreact now and then. I guess it's human nature.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I know only one clown locally and he is just plain un-likable. Not cuz he is a clown but because he doesn't seem to like what he does but does it cuz he doesn't want a straight job.
Steve V
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
That's a poor reason to be a clown. Have you heard many negative comments/feedback from people in regards to this person? Has his attitude affected you getting work ( or at least making it harder by you having to prove yourself more)?
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Unfortunately Clowning is taking a hit from many angles, media portrays us as freaks or drunks , movies as murderers and monsters. There are the Coulrophobics who want us to stop in our tracks if thay are present. but worst of all there are the many clown clubs and alleys who are trying to pigeon hole clowning to one style. this stifels the growth of clowning as a community.
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
My wifes school hired the clown and won't bring him back. Actually other than myself, a great puppet troup, and a group of character actors they have not had any success with the clown (he also did a failed Santa) or a couple local magicians.
Steve V
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Hey Steve. You mentioned "If I was a clown, and I'm not cuz to cover up my cuteness wouldn't do, I'd carry a photo of me w/out make up...". I realized that you don't have a picture of yourself on the board so we can see how cute you really are!
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Skip, you have a good point and stated your case well in your opening post. You should send it as a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and get them to do a story on the rich history of clowning in your community. That being said, I can foresee problems of putting clown statues around town.
I have seen the cows in Chicago and in London. They show the great diversity and imagination of the artists. However, in an attempt to be clever as artist don't always show the cows in the best of lights. The cows however don't seem to mind the artist interpretations. Chicago's HOLY COW and London's MAD COW were two of my favorites. The problem I foresee with the sentiment shown by the polls of your community, is that the artist that paint the clowns, MIGHT not show the clowns in an all together positive light as they should be. If they were hired to paint the clowns to look like famous clowns of the past, from which there are many to choose from, then I could see it being a nice display for your community. However giving artist free reign to paint the clowns however they want could end up with some not so flattering results. Remember how the ARTISTS in the television and movie industries portray clowns.
Another problem I foresee is the way the public, (lovely bunch of people that they are) might treat the statues. McDonald's has statues of Ronald in front of some of their restaurants. I have seen, shall we call them high spirited young people, do some unflattering things to poor Ronald. Putting them in sexual positions, stealing them and hanging them from trees, you get the idea. One of the main reasons that the cows weren't vandalized more then they were is because of the size and weight of them. They were just too big to be moved. Even though the Chicago cows were in the Midwest, there was very little cow tipping goin on.
I do support the idea of clown statues, if they are painted to look like clowns and if they are placed inside of possibly a mall or something were the chances of vandalism is lessened.
Now to answer your question of what are we as individuals planning to do to promote a positive image of clowns. Personally I do all that I can. I act in a professional manner at all times when in clown costume, silly but professional. I always show respect to people who are afraid of me when I am in costume and successfully try to change their minds, letting them see that we are positive beings that are their friends. I work with my local clown clubs at local events promoting good will. I also do what I can to promote clowns in a good light in the media.
A few years ago I had the opportunity to go on the JENNY JONES show and take a couple of clowns with me. The topic was Facing Your Biggest Fear. There was a woman on the show who was deathly afraid of clowns, she was terrified that we were even in the building. Through slow introduction we were able to talk with her, show her that we were real people and make her feel comfortable. She was asking us for balloon animals and hugging us by the end of the show. Each person can make a difference.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
MrMystic...great post...solid points...and it sounds as though we're on the same track. Thanks!

Skip

Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
No photos exist of me on line, wouldn't know how to put one on there if I did have one. Ask Brooks how adorable I am, he's seen me.
Steve V
sluggo
View Profile
New user
Mike B.
85 Posts

Profile of sluggo
Has anyone ever seen the web site I hate clowns .com? I do shows every weekend and yes I make swords and laser guns and have NEVER had a complaint from anyone. Clowns that do a bad job is the same as a painter that does a bad job. You have good ones and bad ones.
If you have the proper training and have put in the righ amount of practice you can over come the old sterotypes that goes with anything. I can do my show with or without makeup, it seems most parents want a full fledged Clown which is fine with me. Kids that are scared of Clowns are mostly young and anything unknown to them they will be timid of. I guess I've been lucky as I don't have any really bad experiences to date.
But on the other hand I have attended numerous Conventions relating to kid shows and being a Clown. It's a lot of money and time but it's paying the dividends now.
Dad, magic, ventriloquism, facepainter & balloons.
A weakness for coffee (caffeine)
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2479 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2005-11-01 13:41, Skip Way wrote:
To raise money and celebrate their 25th anniversary, Hospice of Southwest Florida wants to place up to 70 large fiberglass clowns -- painted by artists and sponsored by businesses -- around Sarasota, FL. The concept has ample precedent, from Chicago's cows to Miami Beach's flamingos to Washington D.C.'s donkeys and elephants, and beyond. For hospice directors, clowns unquestionably captured Sarasota's spirit and history, and the city commission easily embraced the plan.

But the dissenting artists say the 6' clown figurines would cheapen a city that bills itself as the "cultural coast." They noted, there are children and adults who harbor coulrophobia -- a serious fear of clowns.

Controversy over the proposed figures swept Sarasota this month, with news of the plan drawing heated reaction from locals, both pro- and anti-clown. Amazed city commissioners fielded complaints from locals professing an ungodly fear of clowns. In an unofficial newspaper survey, more than 69% of the respondents stated that they loathed clowns and the image they project.

An editorial in The Sarasota Herald-Tribune cautioned that "there's a fine line between taste and prejudice, and clown foes are at risk of crossing it." I agree, wholeheartedly...this is prejudice against an artform based on the most positive human tenets...love and laughter.

The commotion struck a raw nerve throughout Sarasota's circus community, and many feel that those who are grumbling about the clowns have snubbed an integral part of the city's past. Though the circus moved its winter home 20 miles south to Venice in the 1960s, John Ringling left an indelible imprint on Sarasota.

A full-time clown and graduate from the now-shuttered Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Clown College said, "Clowning and the circus are vital to the community. We have embraced the community and they have embraced us. It was very hurtful, them saying that clowns put the fear of god in some people. It's disrespectful. I don't think they realize how hurtful it comes out."

Part of the debate boils down to whether clowns -- and clowning -- constitute art. Even Picasso painted clowns. Clowns around the world insist their work is a craft, albeit one with a reputation sullied by the perception that anyone can slather on ghostly greasepaint, don a fright wig and rubber nose and become a clown.

For over 40 years, now, I have listened to and ignored tha taunts and insults of people who refuse or are unable to see the power of love and laughter that motivates even the most novice clown. But, even I must admit that I have never taken a constructive step towards resolving the issue. I've never taken the clown's cause to the electronic or print media. I have never made myself available as an educational lecturer to local business & civic groups. The only thing I have done to bridge this widening gap is to work hard at providing the best clown image and performance I can. I think that we...as a group...should become more proactive in educating people as to WHAT we do and WHY we do it. I am starting today!

I also believe that our clown groups (COAI, WCA, ICA) are seriously delinquent in addressing and confronting this international issue. They should be our collective voice to the world.

What are you planning to do?

Skip :o(

See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Hey Ross
Thanks for telling us what it says at the top of this page. Did you have an opinion on this subject or are you just showing us how good you are at copying and pasting?
Bill Rubie
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
61 Posts

Profile of Bill Rubie
We had this discussion at work the other day. My feeling is that a good clown is always welcome.

AS a kid I liked Bozo but, when he was "franchised to different T.V stations it was always the weatherman. As an adult I had a photo studio in an old mill. A group called theatrics was in the same mill that were a clown troupe. They were the funniest people I have ever known. Every one of them was professionally trained by Ringling.

I believe clowning is a true art. It's the folks who put a costume on and think it makes them an instant clown that is an injustice to the art and shines a negative light on the rest.

Not a dis on clowns just my two cents worth.
When a person starts off a factual statement with "They Say"...

Please ask, who are they?

Bill
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Around the arena here in San Jose we had, for awhile, a very disturbed street person who found a clown outfit that was well worn and see through in many areas. He would wander around in it, fit him like a leotard, and would stop people and jump up and down and wave his hands at them then demand payment for his 'show'. He had on a bit of make up. I was going to ask him his thoughts on this but figured it wouldn't do much good.
Steve V
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2479 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2005-11-17 18:44, mrmystic wrote:
Hey Ross
Thanks for telling us what it says at the top of this page. Did you have an opinion on this subject or are you just showing us how good you are at copying and pasting?

Sorry about that - computer glitch - meant merely to say (this will come as something of an anticlimax) "No good deed goes unpunished."

And BTW, those elephants and donkeys in DC ... PETA stepped in and made them include a crying chained circus elephant (along with the happy-themed ones.) So much for a simple effort to have fun.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Too bad we missed our chance as kids to avoid school because it is slang to call it pencil lead. That's bad for kids! What shall we do?

Ross, you're still right.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com