The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: An Illegal Scan Instead of a Book (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
I was looking for a copy of my dear departed friend's book. I'm speaking of Steve Dusheck. I found it at a site I hadn't heard of called magicianpalace.com. I'll give you the link below. The book is called Dusheck's Coin Magic. I paid $15.99, which I thought was a decent deal. I payed via PayPal. He sent me an illegally photocopied PDF of the book. I asked for a refund, and he accused me of trying to cheat...to get my money back even though I received a scanned PDF copy? I have already put in a complaint to PayPal. Here is the original add, put up by an out-and-out fraud and thief: http://www.magicianpalace.com/dusheck%C3......497.html
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Wow. Looks like a hardback based on his pic.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
They are selling rip offs of fifteen of my products, including my Penguin lecture. Looks like everything on the site is stolen. The company has a London address.
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
Hi Pop, I hope you are doing well. I just noticed he has at least three of my products there too. I'm going to see if I can get PayPal to stop processing payments to this guy. It's worth a try.

I hope you are weathering the s-storm. Warm regards to you and hope to see you again one of these days...

Stevo
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2020, Shufton wrote:
Hi Pop, I hope you are doing well. I just noticed he has at least three of my products there too. I'm going to see if I can get PayPal to stop processing payments to this guy. It's worth a try.

I hope you are weathering the s-storm. Warm regards to you and hope to see you again one of these days...

Stevo

Cheers, Steve! Stay safe!
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
PayPal is now investigating. If they find that what I say is true (the entire site is stolen material, and that the owner uses PayPal for transactions) they will at least shut down this guy's ability to collect via PayPal. A small step for man...
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
69 Posts

Profile of draupnir
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2020, stempleton wrote:

What’s even weirder is that they state they have 97 left in inventory which makes no sense considering they are selling an illegally copied PDF. I hope PayPal is able to resolve this for you and thank you for giving us a heads up about this website. Hopefully they get taken down because clearly they are not operating in an ethical manner.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2020, Shufton wrote:
PayPal is now investigating. If they find that what I say is true (the entire site is stolen material, and that the owner uses PayPal for transactions) they will at least shut down this guy's ability to collect via PayPal. A small step for man...

This will only be a small blip as there will be another site up quite quickly. It is like playing Wack a Mole with these crooks.

It is sad this happens.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2020, draupnir wrote:
Quote:

What’s even weirder is that they state they have 97 left in inventory which makes no sense considering they are selling an illegally copied PDF.

They do that to create a sense of urgency in the buyer. I hope I live to be as old as this ruse is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
850 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2020, draupnir wrote:
Quote:

What’s even weirder is that they state they have 97 left in inventory which makes no sense considering they are selling an illegally copied PDF.

They do that to create a sense of urgency in the buyer. I hope I live to be as old as this ruse is.

So, 97 remaining is a sense of urgency? Really??
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21282 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never said they were good at it, and I don't know what volume they sell at.

If they sell at 1,000 a day, then yes 97 is indeed a sense of urgency. If you don't have all the internal information about their customers then you have no way to judge do you?

If the customer thinks that they will be gone in a short amount of time that is what creates this sense of urgency. The number while large to you may indeed represent one that their actual customer base thinks is going away quickly. It is sales 101.

Again mind you I am not saying they are GOOD at the ruse. I am however saying that without you knowing the first thing about the customer base who is perfectly happy with purchasing ripped off content (Which I am saying you are NOT OK WITH. To be clear I am saying this line of reasoning is foreign to your way of thinking because you would not do it.) you have no way to judge what would or would not create a sense of urgency in that sort of buyer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1694 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It’s not urgency

It’s the software they use

They have to put a number in

It’s just the way the off the rack service works

It’s so you don’t sell too many of something, a physical item

And I guess these guys sell a few copies of each. They won’t sell many. So 100 is a fair amount to put in

Put in too high a number and it looks silly

But it’s not marketing, it’s not designed to make you buy quickly, it’s just a needed to be filled out field in their bought website
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Too many rip off artists these days. If something looks to good to be true it is. I always look at the "about us" on the website. I noticed the site in the OP has no location or phone listed.

BTW, I came across a site today while searching for John Bannon's "Smoke and Mirrors." It is out of print, and good hardcovers are expensive. The aforementioned site has a download for $3.49 USD. They have Penguin lectures for $1.99. All of the items listed should still be protected by copyright laws!

But note they have no contact info, will allow cryptocurrency in payment. That circumvents paypal. They accept bitcoin, google pay and credit cards. Beware! Not buying a thing from there!

Regards,
Phil
tonysmith
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tonysmith
Address is a "serviced office" so they could be physically located anywhere in the world.
Edmark Law
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
62 Posts

Profile of Edmark Law
Many of these sites are from China and since laws practically don't exist there, we can't do anything about this.