The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Subscription Company won't stop Charging (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
I am writing to find out if the Café has the backbone to host critical discussion about unethical behavior carried out by a businessman who hosts a subscription service.

Many views and opinions are greeted with attacks on the Magic Café, which is understandable when it comes to an artistic expression, interpretation and the gray area which constitutes intellectual property. How about a case of stubbornness?

I subscribed to an online video service and was unable to cancel that service. I have contacted the owner and asked him to cancel my service, and have contacted my credit card company to stop payment to the business.

Yet every month my credit card is charged, I receive an email notifying me that new episodes are out, and have not heard back from the owner about cancellation.

The charge stays on my card for about three days before the credit card company rejects it. This is like a chronic disease picked up from the magic community. I responded to a post on the magic Café (about the subscription service) by signing up and expecting to be able to try the service for a month before deciding. I wrote to the owner explaining I wanted to cancel and he was so adamant I should give the service a second try that I did.

It was not a good fit for me. My followup email asking to cancel the service was ignored, or perhaps rebuffed. It has been so long now that I can't even remember.

Suffice it to say that some ethical guidance would be welcome.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2785 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Backbone?
You don't list the businessman or the service.

Not sure what you want us to do.

Have your credit card company send you a new card with a new number. Problem solved.

s
mantel
View Profile
Special user
927 Posts

Profile of mantel
The world's #1 magic training site!?
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2206 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I had the same problem with Apple. But when I called them, they refunded me not for the 2 extra months they charged me after I canceled, but going back for the entire year.
If you are using PayPal to fund the monthly payment, go under "Subscriptions, click on the latest payment made and you will see in the upper left of the page, CANCEL.
Problem solved.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com