The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Are Speed and Tempo enough? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
So I have been working on a ring routine as performed taught and explained on a DVD series. Now, we hear about magicians learning this way, and copying the teachers performance style to the 't'. Verbatium jokes, gestures and lines. We know that's not what the intended purpose of the education is. The teacher is sharing a routine as he (she) performs it for the student to make their own. This is the generally accepted concept right?

My question is, the performer I'm working from is a very high energy almost frantically paced magician. (don't worry about who, it's really not that important) I love his ring routine, I think it's pretty much perfect and that is the routine I want to perform. However, I am not this particular performer and I work a different pace and tempo. I want to do this routine but I have no intention of emulating the performance style behind it.
I want to adapt the speed and tempo of the routine to fit my style and generally slow the pace down overall to beter fit my personaility and venue.
My question is, while the moves/mechanics are identical, changing the speed and tempo of the routine, it's not enough to make it "my routine" (obviously) but is it enough to make it different from the original performer? Even different "enough".
I would want other magicians to see the routine and say, "That's a great routine there, is that yours Z?" No, that's Magician A's I just slowed it down a bit. "Ah, oh yes, I see it now. Good job."
Don't know if that makes sense or not, I just want to ask, in your opinion, are changing the speed and tempo of a routine enough to break it from "exact copy" to "adapted performance of"?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5937 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Yes... And no.

If the changes made are theatrically different enough, resonate within you, and the outside perception is that this is great fit with your style... then yes.

If the changes do little to change the effect other than alter its tempo, no.

Any change made to an effect should be done with a specific theatrical purpose in mind. For instance, simply changing the key of a song because you can't sing in the register of the original is not much of a change. Changing the key of a song to one which alters the feel of the song BECAUSE you knew that was the outcome you wanted is very often enough to be a substantial change.