The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Youtube tutorials (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
zavor
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of zavor
Hello, I hope this is the right place on the forum for asking you a question. I came across one of the many (unfortunally) youtube channel of a teeneger exposing tecniques, can I alert somebody about it that can make it close his channel? The guy in question is found just searching "disturb reality". Not only it reveals tecniques but he perform very badly. Thanks
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nothing you can do, I'm afraid. The only way you can challenge a video is via a DCMA take-down letter IF you are a copyright holder of the video's content. And most magic effects are not able to be copyrighted.

Jim
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Actually, there IS something you can do.

1) Click off the video and forget you saw it.

2) Do not provide a link for someone else to follow.

3) Do not tell others how to find them in a search.

4) Do not leave comments.

The word "viral" was not invented by mistake. Consider things like this to be germ-ridden. Stop spreading it for others to be affected by it.

It won't stop it completely, but it will slow the progress of it.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2014-01-05 13:28, zavor wrote:
Hello, I hope this is the right place on the forum for asking you a question. I came across one of the many (unfortunally) youtube channel of a teeneger exposing tecniques, can I alert somebody about it that can make it close his channel? The guy in question is found just searching "disturb reality". Not only it reveals tecniques but he perform very badly. Thanks

Where they Real Secrets?

Did they wear masks?

Did you send links to your friends to ask if that's how the tricks are really done?

Did you post a commentary video linking to their videos to discuss their technique?

So where are these videos anyway?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
YouTube videos are great for figuring out what NOT to do.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
The disturb reality guy/show/concept actually has a huge following and tries to be more "inspirational" and about "social engineering" as opposed to just teaching magic secrets.

I'm not going to judge right or wrongness here (I'll leave that up to everyone on their own) but I think if you watch a few episodes you'll see that he is actually trying to put something together that can change people's lives...I thought it was very interesting when I first started watching (and I've only seen a few clips of a few episodes).
purpleflag
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of purpleflag
As bad as his tutorials are, they appear to be more aimed with the view to people really learning the tricks for, as DynaMix said, inspirational & social engineering not "look, here's how the tricks done. Thank you & goodbye".

To me scam school seems far worse, by encouraging exposing, often much more essential core tricks & techniques. I suspect many scam school viewers have no intention of really learning any magic and certainly nothing that they can't get free from a YouTube video explaining in detail how to do it without skills for any reason other than 1 quick trick with the mates.

Ian
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
The only way to really keep an effect secret...is to invent it yourself.
purpleflag
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of purpleflag
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, trampabroad wrote:
The only way to really keep an effect secret...is to invent it yourself.

...& then expose it when scam school offers you a wad of cash!
(well if Diamond Jim, Daniel Garcia, Michael Ammar & many more have all done it, then it must be fairly good they're offering...!)

Ian
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I wish everyone here read Michael Baker's post above. That's the best post on this subject that I've ever seen.

There are rare circumstances where exposure videos do violate a copyright, such as the exposer reciting copyrighted instructions verbatim. In those cases, contact only the creator and/or the publisher. They're the only people who can seek a legal remedy.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Welcome to the world where everybody knows everything- a very little bit...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"