The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Masked Magician..What would you say during your show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
With the wide exposure on TV and internet what would you reply with if your $1,500.00 dollar illusion secret was shouted out during your performance?
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1907 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
S**T!!!!!
Magic is a vanishing art.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Since I don't do illusions, I wouldn't really know and shouldn't comment. But I think that if someone is shouting something out, you aren't really putting on a captivating performance. I cannot imagine (I really can't) someone shouting out "IT'S DONE WITH WIRES!" while David Copperfield is flying around over their head.

If the WOW in their mouth is big enough, there's no room for shouting out secrets.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I agree Stone, with the exception children. They have no problem with shouting out! Thanks to the Mask Magician this is happening more often. Its takes a little longer with kids, but by the middle of the show, since I don't react to them, they realize its best to just shut up and enjoy the show.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 07:24, stoneunhinged wrote:
Since I don't do illusions, I wouldn't really know and shouldn't comment. But I think that if someone is shouting something out, you aren't really putting on a captivating performance. I cannot imagine (I really can't) someone shouting out "IT'S DONE WITH WIRES!" while David Copperfield is flying around over their head.

If the WOW in their mouth is big enough, there's no room for shouting out secrets.

I disagree with you 100%...believe me I know my performance is worth to my clients...I am not some kid that just walked into the world of magic and said hey I am a professional HIRE ME! Where do you get off saying that I don't have a captivating show?
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 09:26, Ken Northridge wrote:
I agree Stone, with the exception children. They have no problem with shouting out! Thanks to the Mask Magician this is happening more often. Its takes a little longer with kids, but by the middle of the show, since I don't react to them, they realize its best to just shut up and enjoy the show.

Ken

I have found that ignoring the comments is the best way put a stop to it. I never really put much thought into it, but now that you got me thinking of my show...thats exactly what I have been doing and it works.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 10:49, trickychaz wrote:
Where do you get off saying that I don't have a captivating show?

I was just thinking out loud.

Try this: perhaps the best solution to the problem of people yelling out is to try to STUN THEM INTO SILENCE with even more and better captivation than you have ever yet achieved.

Instead of taking my comment as a criticism, think of it as a challenge. You know, a glass is full rather than empty sort of thing.

Or don't.

The point is that the Masked Magician has done his bit for whatever twisted and unethical reasons, and it is up to YOU to overcome that difficulty.

Asking people who offer you alternative views where they "get off" is not a sign of good faith to fellow Café members who are giving you food for thought.

But I'll let it slide. I'm one of the nice guys. Wait till someone like Danny Doyle finds this thread.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 11:49, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:

Try this: perhaps the best solution to the problem of people yelling out is to try to STUN THEM INTO SILENCE with even more and better captivation than you have ever yet achieved.

Instead of taking my comment as a criticism, think of it as a challenge. You know, a glass is full rather than empty sort of thing.

Or don't.

The point is that the Masked Magician has done his bit for whatever twisted and unethical reasons, and it is up to YOU to overcome that difficulty.

Asking people who offer you alternative views where they "get off" is not a sign of good faith to fellow Café members who are giving you food for thought.

But I'll let it slide. I'm one of the nice guys. Wait till someone like Danny Doyle finds this thread.

Point is you do not know my show...therefore you have no reason to be making assumptions. My show is very captivating, and my October schedule is full with repeat bookings. The question here asked was....what would you say when someone shouts out how your tricks work? the question asked was not....why am I experiencing this in my show? As a matter of a fact...I do experience this in my kid shows...they are known as hecklers, and I handle them really well....once again..I am looking for what you say towards hecklers in your show....
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 14:33, trickychaz wrote:

Point is you do not know my show...

I don't need to. I wasn't responding to you personally, but to the abstract question of what one ought to do in the situation.

Ken is right: kid's shows are different. I have never in my life done a magic show for children, and don't intend to.

So please, take no offense. You mistook my answer to be referring to you and your show personally. I have never seen one of your shows.

As far as you know.

:)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I really wouldn't worry about it as it's pretty much a non-issue. Of all the specials only the first one had decent ratings. I don't recall the actual numbers but I remember working it out when it first aired and figured that out of an audience of 500 the odds were that only one or two people there might have seen the program. then you have to figure out if they saw any of the illusions your performing exposed and if they did if they could actually remember what they saw after a week or two.
The current MM programs are only getting a small handful of viewers so the odds of anyone in your audience actually having seen one of the shows is slim.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LBP MAGIC
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of LBP MAGIC
The masked magician is wide spread?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I think that exposure could be the cause of people giving out the secret. But it also could be someone who can work things out and doesn't understand boundaries.

At the end of the day, most magic effects or illusions boil down to a few principles, and people who want to spend the show working out which ones are at work and feels the need to shout it out... will do just that, even if they are wrong. I don't think we can blame all of our ills on exposure.

Stone's answer was as good as any, unless we all just want to have a ready excuse for every problem we don't want to work around.

Exposure is stupid, but unless you can stop it, you need to learn to deal with it or give up. Is there another option?

edit: of course the question wasn't one of right or wrong or ways to compensate, but what to say if it happens. Since you seem to be pretty irritated, I suggest you say nothing. If you project your just or unjust anger (As you did with Jeff) you can turn the audience against you as easily as against the offender.
That would be worse than the actual exposure.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or don't.

Point is you do not know my show...therefore you have no reason to be making assumptions. My show is very captivating, and my October schedule is full with repeat bookings. The question here asked was....what would you say when someone shouts out how your tricks work? the question asked was not....why am I experiencing this in my show? As a matter of a fact...I do experience this in my kid shows...they are known as hecklers, and I handle them really well....once again..I am looking for what you say towards hecklers in your show....

If you don't think you know what to respond because of what the MM exposed, the best would be to change your repertoire to use tricks that were not exposed... That will help your self-confidence. And no, I haven't seen your show, but reading how you replied, it is obvious it has something to do with self-confidence.

Best to you!
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-28 06:29, Allan Bright wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or don't.

If you don't think you know what to respond because of what the MM exposed, the best would be to change your repertoire to use tricks that were not exposed... That will help your self-confidence. And no, I haven't seen your show, but reading how you replied, it is obvious it has something to do with self-confidence.

Best to you!

Not sure where you get that from, but OK whatever you say bud! I have no self confidence issues...have in the past, and worked really hard to overcome them. Truth is everyone is conscious about something in their lives...whether it be their hair thinning,pimples,freckles,their talent, professionalism (which you obivously lack)

As Americans we constantly compare ourselves to others who we aspire to be most like. I have learned to avoid that and just be ME! I think I know where my self confidence stands, but thank you for pointing that out

Charles
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-27 15:53, Josh Riel wrote:
I think that exposure could be the cause of people giving out the secret. But it also could be someone who can work things out and doesn't understand boundaries.

At the end of the day, most magic effects or illusions boil down to a few principles, and people who want to spend the show working out which ones are at work and feels the need to shout it out... will do just that, even if they are wrong. I don't think we can blame all of our ills on exposure.

Stone's answer was as good as any, unless we all just want to have a ready excuse for every problem we don't want to work around.

Exposure is stupid, but unless you can stop it, you need to learn to deal with it or give up. Is there another option?

edit: of course the question wasn't one of right or wrong or ways to compensate, but what to say if it happens. Since you seem to be pretty irritated, I suggest you say nothing. If you project your just or unjust anger (As you did with Jeff) you can turn the audience against you as easily as against the offender.
That would be worse than the actual exposure.

I am not irritated. Just seen a lot of talk on it here on the Café and was wanting to know how it has effected you show if even at all! You guys seem to be a bunch of ***s on here. You are attacking me just for asking an opinion on the masked magician....I wasn't asking for my life to be evaluated,and I deffinately wasn't refering to my show being effected by this MM.....Whatever sorry I even started the thread.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2009-09-28 22:02, trickychaz wrote:
You guys seem to be a bunch of ***s on here.

Well now, that's a way to go about making friends.

No one complained about your question. You, on the other hand, didn't like my answer. That doesn't make me an ***s.

The question is what to say if someone calls out that they know how an effect is done because they saw the Masked Magician.

The first thing I did was clarify that I'm not a stage performer.

Now, when I do stuff in a bar, half the people are drunk and guessing how its done. The other half are drunk and are so stunned they think that I have just worked a miracle when their cigarette disappears.

The half that is guessing how its done are part of the event. It's great fun, especially as they then get into arguments with the other half. Then we all drink more beer and have lots to talk about. Well, they do. I don't tell anyone how I do it, of course.

But on the stage? Don't know. And I said so. The rest of my comments were theoretical. Obviously so, since I have no experience with $1,500 illusions on stage.

Yet you took my comment to mean that I was criticizing you personally, got upset, asked me where I "get off", and sent me a PM.

Others then went on to agree with me. Now they, too, are ***ses?

Look, the Café is about magicians helping magicians. To say that the best way to deal with the Masked Magician is to improve your act (not YOU; this is theoretical, remember? I mean anyone worried about the Masked Magician) is good, sound advice.

Remember this is the Right or Wrong forum.

If you are truly serious about an answer to your question, you could post your question in the Grand Illusions or Words We Use forums, and they will give you specific answers about how to handle this situation.

Let me give you some more good, sound advice: re-read this thread with the assumption that we are kind people and potential friends and want to help each other. You might find that the whole thread sounds different to you. You have assumed, incorrectly, that we are criticizing you and your question. But we aren't.

The absolute PROOF that this is the case is that I have written this long, and hopefully helpful, post in response to yours. Unkind people would have simply ignored this thread entirely. Even Danny Doyle, who unfortunately has not found this thread (where is he? I'm beginning to worry), would have only approached you with genuine helpfulness.

Sometimes it's best when you think you've been insulted to just get away from the computer--take a walk in the woods, check out the babes at Walmart, plan a fancy French dinner--and come back later and try reading everything with love in your heart. You might find you're getting bent out of shape over nothing at all.

That's my advice. Keep posting that we are ***ses if you want more.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, I'm lost. I can even figure out what the expletive was, it keep growing letters...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
I am with Stone.

like Eugene Burger is saying. it isn't the mask magician or internet (you tube) who is giving the secrets away. it is the bad performance of many so called magicians. So if they yell at you. You do the math.

Even if your trick is 15000 $, so what. The price of a trick don not make you a magician. And you have a full agenda in october, so what. What are you saying? Maybe you just giving shows under the price and there fore you're booked.

It is all about the performance.

You have a strange way to react.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 09:30, Ronald72 wrote:
I am with Stone.

like Eugene Burger is saying. it isn't the mask magician or internet (you tube) who is giving the secrets away. it is the bad performance of many so called magicians. So if they yell at you. You do the math.

Even if your trick is 15000 $, so what. The price of a trick don not make you a magician. And you have a full agenda in october, so what. What are you saying? Maybe you just giving shows under the price and there fore you're booked.

It is all about the performance.

You have a strange way to react.

They booked because they enjoyed working with me. I have a set price that I charge based on what I am worth...not what everyone else is charging around me. But now that you raise that question I am beginning to think that maybe there are other motives in hiring me. Thanks for making me think!

Charles