The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Negative Advertising and False Claims (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have come across several magicians that are making the claim that they are the only magician to offer a 100% money back guarantee. One magician worded it like this:

“Magician X offers an unprecedented 100% money back guarantee...that no other person in the industry would even dare to offer.”

Not only are they being dishonest but they claim they can actually read the minds of all magicians, because no magician would even think of this.

Furthermore, I notice some magicians tend to list reasons not to hire other entertainers under the heading, “Before you hire an entertainer, ask them these questions:” This reminds of politicians that campaign on why their opponent is no good instead of talking about their positive vision for the future.

Negative advertising may work, but is it right or wrong?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have always felt that right/wrong was a personal decision. We can say that society dictates it, but look how many instances where someone commits an act they feel is right, but society says is wrong.

This I can say: in many, many endeavors what you have described is a walk in the park. I have lived in that arena of endeavor. Creative marketers, who do not subscribe to societies values, have an open field of clever things to lure the non-thinkers.

Right or wrong? I have chosen not to engage in that type of false and misleading advertising. I have chosen to stress the positives of what I have to offer. Yes, I lose those who fall for the "guarantee" and other senseless scams. But what have I lost? For as you lose you gain- those who are thoughtful and not easily lead.

Choose your course with thought, and then do not be dissuaded from it...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As far as the first item is concerned, all you need to do is send the magician in question an e-mail that states that his advertising is false. Give him the names of the other magicians who offer a money back guarantee. While not unprecedented, it is rare.

Regarding the issue of booking -- well, I've never used that kind of advertising, but all's fair in love, war and getting booked. Wait, maybe that's not true. You can't say certain things to ladies any more without being accused of sexual harrassment. You can't play loud music to get prisoners to betray their countrymen. I guess that all that is left is advertising for kid shows and parties.

There are certain things you cannot use in an ad in the yellow pages. There are things you can't use in a trademark.

If you see a magician that you think is using immoral advertising, then call his hand on it. But make sure that your slate is clean before you do.

I don't see anything wrong with telling your prospective customers to ask for qualifications. For example, if a potential client is going to book a magician for a trade show, it makes some sense to ask how many of these he has done before. The same is true for kid shows.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com