The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: The Masked Magician Revealed My Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jacob Spinney
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jacob Spinney
So last night my friend Dana told me that she was watching the masked magician the other day revealing how this levitation works and explained it and asked if it was my levitation that he was revealing . . . YEP. That's the one; the levitation that I gave Criss Angel the conditional rights to market in the Masterminds Volume II release. I guess I can kiss any further royalty checks goodbye. Thanks Masked Magician. I hope taking the money out of the pockets of a poor 23 year old trying to make it will help you sleep at night.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Sorry to hear about that Jacob. The guy's a creep, to put it nicely. I think he's exposed at least 5 illusions that I have. The good thing is that I've never had anyone come up to tell me that they've seen the masked moron expose the trick after I've performed it.
Bob.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I haven't seen all of the episodes, but as far as levis, I've only seen a Gamalo Levi, a forklift contraption, and a couple of bad ideas using electro magnets. Did this air recently? What was it?
Ray Pierce
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 10:48, Dr. Delusion wrote:
Sorry to hear about that Jacob. The guy's a creep, to put it nicely. I think he's exposed at least 5 illusions that I have. The good thing is that I've never had anyone come up to tell me that they've seen the masked moron expose the trick after I've performed it.
Bob.

Many people are too polite to say anything. But when they are walking away from the show saying "I know how he did that" they are not walking away in wonder. A hex on the masked magician, I say...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 12:32, WDI Magic wrote:
I haven't seen all of the episodes, but as far as levis, I've only seen a Gamalo Levi, a forklift contraption, and a couple of bad ideas using electro magnets. Did this air recently? What was it?

If he would stick to revealing these types of effects I think it would be great. How many magicians do you know bring a fork lift to every show. The problem is he has exposed classics like the Dove Pan, Linking Rings, Rabbit out of the Hat, etc, etc.

Jacob,

I’m very sorry to hear about this. I hope this doesn't diminish your enthusiasm toward magic. In my 30 years of associating with magicians, the kind and respectable ones far out weigh the jerks.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
As you sold official rights is there any legal action you can take?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Seems to me you magic-inventor types are missing a huge opportunity and payday. Were I able to invent a really good illusion, I would perform it a few times for the record, then issue a non-ignorable million dollar challenge to the Masked Thingy to show how it was done in two weeks or pay up. Money time!
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Out of curiosity, why would they take you up on your challenge? You would also have to put up a million to initiate the challenge, or what's the benefit to them? Do you think you could really think up anything they couldn't figure out?. And what would make your challenge 'non-ignorable'? Those sleazeballs can ignore anything they want.

You've got a nice premise, but it's unworkable, I'm afraid.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2009-06-01 09:52, Jacob Spinney wrote:
So last night my friend Dana told me that she was watching the masked magician the other day revealing how this levitation works and explained it and asked if it was my levitation that he was revealing . . . YEP. That's the one; the levitation that I gave Criss Angel the conditional rights to market in the Masterminds Volume II release. I guess I can kiss any further royalty checks goodbye. Thanks Masked Magician. I hope taking the money out of the pockets of a poor 23 year old trying to make it will help you sleep at night.

I hear ya, Jacob! I hope Charlie Justice gets "justice", as I found out that the fantastic effect "Prohibition" is now exposed.

I think it's the Nash Group (Wildest Police Videos) that is partly responsible. Quick buck. Screw the silly magicians. I wonder how Nash sleeps at night.

Doug
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Go one thread down and you will see that exposure is fine with many magicians, as long as it is entertaining and "good for magic"...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Sorry Tom, for this late reply. Just saw your post.

I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about the really great inventors of magic effects. You are probably correct, that anything can be figured out if you try hard enough. I just don't think MM has the smarts.

Also, on one of their specials, Penn said that Teller's Shadows has never been figured out by anyone, including him. So, perhaps it could be done...

By the way, anyone got some ideas about how Shadows is done???
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 16:43, mandarin wrote:
By the way, anyone got some ideas about how Shadows is done???

Magic Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

There is no magic...

only trickery, and exposure...
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
On 2009-08-19 16:14, mandarin wrote:
There is no magic... only trickery, and exposure..."

You cannot expose magic ...only trickery
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

I guess that is why there is so much exposure now...
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Jacob,
I think you are over estimating the impact of the Masked Magician. I don't know what effect this exposure will have on your deal with Criss, but if the levitation was a good one it will still be usable. You will be amazed at how many people have never seen the show and even those that do will not have the context we do so they will not retain details on how it was done.

I produce a long running weekly magic show. Almost every week we feature on stage something that has appeared on that show and no one has complained. The Masked Magician has never been a problem for us and I don't think it will be for you.

I have posted numerous times here on the Café and elsewhere that exposures mean nothing. It is a hard fact for magicians to except, but this has been my experience.

Todd

Quote:
On 2009-06-01 09:52, Jacob Spinney wrote:
kelleyro
View Profile
New user
Nashville, Tennessee
12 Posts

Profile of kelleyro
Exposure the first time may not be seen but what if they put this show in re-runs for the next ten years? and what is up with Penn and Teller showing secrets? The Masked Magician may not be our only problem, how many others will copy him and think it is ok to expose because he is doing it? There is already ten thousand 10 year olds exposing tricks on YouTube and they are probably copying the Masked Magician..The kids didn't start exposing until the Masked Magician came along!?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think Todd is right...to a degree. When/if that Masked *%$# puts it all out in a DVD Boxed Set, it won't be broadcast so much. The ones who will buy it, will, and we just hope not to perform for those people.

Like most things, people will forget they saw it, and once again, mouths will be agape and chorus' of angels will sing our names...

I guess it really won't KILL our art, but it sure put a few buckshot pellets in it! LOL!

Doug
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Some time ago I asked if anyone had any trouble performing magic or lost a gig because of the Masked Magician. No one responded. So I ask again. What negative effect has the Masked Magician had on your performing career? As one of the producers of a weekly magic show that has been running for 13 years I can say that the Masked Magician has had no effect on our show.

The irony of it is that when the first Masked Magician specials aired years ago, ticket sales at the major magic show in Las Vegas went UP!

I'm not saying that the Masked Magician is a good thing. What I'm saying is that the show is not the end of the world that some feel it is. It's really nothing.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Exposure only happens when magic becomes popular. The more popular magic is, and the more familiar people are with the classic or popular tricks of the day, the more exposure there will be.

I think magic is better off when it is less popular. It goes in cycles. There is a new audience coming along every ten years or so.